The road back so far…

road The road back so far...

The long road back

I’m starting off week four of my  return to running. I can tell you it’s been a joyful road so far and has gone maybe even better than expected.

So far I’ve been sticking to just three runs a week, supplemented with cycling, swimming, and weight/balance training. I want to make a concerted effort to get at least one day of yoga in there starting this week too (because the holidays are a great time to add something extra in, right?). My longest run so far has been an hour; I’m not paying attention to pace by design, so not quite sure on the mileage. This week, however, I’m going to hold that “long” run at status quo and add in a fourth day of running.

I’m finding that I’m starting to feel somewhat efficient again, although I know I have a long way to go. Form? I’m consistently a mid-foot striker now, which is a good thing. My calf muscles have just about adjusted to this too. The great thing I find with mid-foot landing is that my hamstrings, which used to be tighter than tight, are so much looser than in my heel striking days. I know my form still needs more work, but I love that overextending heel striking is a thing of the past.

The first couple of weeks back, even with my low mileage, were quite a shock to the system. Hungry like a 300-lb. man? That was me. Ready for bed at 8:00? Yes, that too. But this past week things seemed to level out again, like my body is remembering how to do this whole training thing.

Finally, the feet. The right one has been nothing less than perfect. The left one still gives me the occasional echo of pain, but it never gets all that bad and never lasts long, so I am feeling pretty good about that too.

More than anything, I am just SO excited to be back out there. To take in the sun rising, hear the birds singing, see the occasional deer, and share time on the road with my friends. Really, does it get any better? You know the answer.

Comments

The first line itself is just awesome! I don’t know about you, but the first weeks back not only include hunger (omg!), being tired earlier than grandpa, but more enjoyment of just the SIMPLE act of the run. Beautiful:)

2. Rene' Whiteley says

i am just back this week after 6 weeks off and I have been eating like a 300 pound man. The sad thing is that 5 miles is the farthest that I have run:) So excited that you are back. Boston is right around the corner.

How exciting! You have been working at this for so long and now can reap the benefits, keep up the good work and take it slow. Personally I love how you are not even paying attention to pace, I think that lets you concentrate on running correct and feeling good. Cheers!
    Jen recently posted..Lazy Bones!My Profile

So glad to read that running is treating you well again. Sounds like you’ve got a great plan worked out. I’m getting serious about cross-training now as well. Joined a gym with a pool, and got sized this weekend for a possible road-bike purchase. If only my wallet matched my intentions – jumping into cycling is kinda pricey.
    Chris @ Evolving Through Running recently posted..Runner. Present Tense.My Profile

Fill me in on this whole calf feeling…..I had a point in my calf that my chiro has worked out for me but I’m wondering if this is because of the heel striking. I am running in minimalist shoes but probably not mid-foot striking the way that I should.

Congrats on getting back into routine as well. That is such great news and I’m so very happy for you.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Las Vegas Strip At Night Marathon TaperingMy Profile

Very encouraging indeed. Thank you so much for sharing this, and I am happy to know that things are working out for you. You will be back into top shape soon I am sure. MarathonTalk.com had an episode a while back about having to not run for a while due to illness or injury (child birth) and one thing you don’t forget is how to run, and a lot of times, your running is often improved. Take care. See ya on the road!
    Kenley recently posted..Minor Changes, Recent Training News, and the Asics Gel NimbusMy Profile

so happy to hear it’s going well, that must make you so happy!! i’m a heel striker, too. need to look into changing that. maybe during the off season when i’m running less i can put more focus on it.
    Denise recently posted..Poor Planning?My Profile

Vielmehr könne auch jenes Verzehr von 3 g Zimt am Tag auch noch im Einfassen normaler Ernährungsgewohnheiten liegen.
    Welche Haut stellen die Haare brauchen sehr nötig Zink. ihm ganz viele neue Hugo Sekt renommierter Hugo Sekt güter der ganzen Welt
    in dem Sortiment auch bei Avinos.
    sekt herstellung recently posted..sekt herstellungMy Profile

Kräuterbutter sowie Würzmarinaden brauchen
    Sie lediglich, wenn Diese den Geschmack des Todes überdecken müssen.
    Bunt und lecker, oft mit Früchten verziert, gehören welche köstlichen
    Kalorienbomben unter den Getränken zum Standardsortiment mitsamt Partys
    sowie in Bars. Urzinger Textilmanagement setzt welche
    HACCP-Richtlinien auch fuer welche Mietberufskleidung im Hugo Hugo Cocktail Sekt verkauf um.
    Taylor recently posted..TaylorMy Profile