Good for my soul

The other night I got together with a huge group of my running friends to celebrate one of the several 50th birthdays among the group this year. Lisa was our guest of honor, which was so nice because she is pretty much the Julie McCoy of the group–always the one making sure we mark everyone else’s

MyRun 0021 e1319290439667 150x150 Good for my soul

This is the way to do 50!

special day or occasion. And let me tell you, Lisa is rocking 50!

This was one of the first times in a long time that I have ventured out among the whole huge group of ladies in a while. I’ve been too sad to face the group as a whole. I’ve gotten together quite a bit with several of my closest pals in the group, which is always a treat, but to immerse myself in a full night of running chatter, well, I wasn’t sure I could do it.

But you know what? It was fabulous! I love these ladies–smart, accomplished, caring, funny–I could go on. Spending an evening among that energy, talking running, talking nutrition, talking about anything, was the best. I had a smile on my face all evening and drove home beaming. Why have I been hiding?

I can say I won’t be anymore. This was just the medicine my soul needed right now. The only thing that can top spending quality time with these ladies socializing is spending time running with them. And that day is coming.

If you entered the Recharge giveaway, the winner is number 14, which is Chris from C2Iowa. Chris, shoot me an email at misszippy1@gmail.com and we’ll get it off to you.

Have a great weekend of training and/or racing.

Comments

You know, I tend to hide when I get down…then I randomly go out with a group of people who just lift me up. Sure, I might feel down again, but that little lift they give me sustains me for a while, like you said…feeds your soul.

Thinking of you. XOXO

This is so wonderful to hear Amanda! I’m convinced that time with girlfriends is another one of those necessary soul foods that we need to be most fully and wonderfully alive as a whole person, athlete, mom, etc. I need to make time for this. You’ll be running with them again soon too! Hope you have a great weekend.

Sometimes I find that spending time with my girls is just what makes things better. When I’m injured I’m always afraid that my mind is going to end up in a bad way but instead things tend to get better. Support group!

Yay for you! I know when I was injured I had some reservations about hanging out with runners, but it ended up making things easier….and I got to sleep in more than them!

As others have already said, you have been such a wonderful inspiration during this challenging season. And I’m so glad you had such a great night with your friends. Girl friends, wine and conversation are almost always what the dr ordered. :D
    Tracy recently posted..Sizing women’s clothingMy Profile

Sometimes when I am least looking forward to going out is when I have the best time. So glad you had a great evening…I believe good friends are good for the soul:)

I totally understand the hiding part you mentioned. Did a post about coming out of hiding a while back. Something about not being able to run, when it is such a part of who we are, is hard on so many levels and one of them is being around others who run. I’m glad the day turned out to be better than you ever imagined. The support we get from our running friends is priceless. By the way, your friend who turned 50, looks marvelous. 50 is the new 30!
    kc recently posted..nervous nellyMy Profile

8. Lisa says

It wouldn’t have been the same without you! Looking forward to more Amanda-time! Thanks for the nice comments – they made my day! :-)

Don’t we all do that when we’re down? Go into a little cave and lick our wounds? It’s almost instinctive and yet spending time with people who love us and inspire us is what we really need. Good on you for going. I’m so glad you had a great time.
    Char recently posted..The Bad and The GoodMy Profile