Five for Friday

1. About that crown–it didn’t happen! I went in to the dentist yesterday and we started chatting about why it had taken me so long from recommended treatment to actual treatment. She commented that most people wouldn’t be able to deal withe the pain for that long and asked how much pain I was in. Well, not much, to be honest, and the pain is only intermittent. She retested my tooth and concluded that I don’t need  a crown right now and that the tooth’s integrity is not currently at risk. Will I likely have to have it at some point in the future? Yes, but not now. Score!

tooth 003 150x150 Five for Friday

No crown? Yes!

2. I went to see my friend Pat this week, who is a personal trainer, and have her put me through a strength routine. Being so limited in what I can do I am both bored to tears, and losing muscle tone quickly. She gave me some painful great moves to do that will help combat the loss of muscle and keep me a bit happier. Another score.

3. I am cautiously optimistic that my feet are progressing. These days I hate to get too excited because I have been down this road so many times. The smallest thing can set me back. But trying to think positively.

4. Good luck to all the many running Chicago and other marathons this weekend. May the sun stay behind the clouds and the wind be at your back.

5. Finally, I can’t let the week pass without mentioning the late great Steve Jobs. What an amazing ding he did leave on this universe. Here’s my favorite of his many wise quotes:

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

And I guess number 6: Thank you all for being so understanding, supportive, wonderful about this post this week. Have a great weekend!

Comments

Glad the trip to the dentist went well. I need a crown, but am putting it off. What is it about dentists?

That’s my favorite Steve Jobs quote too. It certainly rings true in my life and so many others. Finding that courage to go for what you want is what I’m struggling with right now.

YES on the crown. I have a mouthful (starting with an accident I had when I was 12). I’ve recently had them redone and not bad at all in case you end up down that road.

Glad you’ve been challenged with some strength work!! Have a great weekend Zippster.
    Shut Up and Run recently posted..Grab “It” By The BallsMy Profile

Being anxious about the dentist is understandable. I think what’s sad or even more disconcerting than fear is when you actually look FORWARD to time in the chair because it’s the only chance you’ll have that day to put your feet up… (I’d fall asleep during cleanings, if only I didn’t have to focus on keeping my mouth open to not bite the tech’s fingers off).

Strength training is SO key. I love doing upper body but tend to slack on lower body when my mileage gets up there. Even remembering to do squats and lunges can help so much!
    Jen recently posted..Take-away WednesdayMy Profile

You sound …. happy! That is awesome. Will email you this afternoon.

Here’s two other Steve Job quotes, which I think runners (at least you and I) can relate to:
    “I didn’t see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing the could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything.”

“All external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
    Jill recently posted..The Golden Rockies / Week 5My Profile

Great news on the non-crown! Score, indeed. :)

I had a great start on strength training before crashing on my bike this summer and having to lay off lifting bc I couldn’t lift my arm. The excuse is long over, so I need to get back on it.

Have a great weekend!
    Kate recently posted..Thursday 13 (for real, this time)My Profile

Good news on the crown, I have a huge gold one on my back tooth. YUCK. It looks so ghetto sometimes when I smile wide.

I hope your feet are getting better. I remember that feeling of seeing a glimmer of hope in being able to run again and then having another setback. It’s frustrating and disappointing to be on that emotional roller coastal. I’ve been there, done that, and I am sending positive vibes your way.

Have a good weekend!
    Tara recently posted..Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Race ReportMy Profile

Hope the strength training fills some of the gap created by your injury, and speeds up the recovery. Hopefully your body has shifted into full healing mode …. teeth, feet, etc.

Like the Jobs quote. His commencement speech at Stanford is really amazing. Simple messages that resonate so loudly. Brilliant guy made all the more impressive by his flaws and trials. Glad to see so much praise being sent his way – great example for kids to see the minds behind their gadgets.
    Chris @ Evolving Through Running recently posted..The End is NearMy Profile

1. Glad that the things with the dentist go well. I am under her cures just now and it is not so fun.
    2. Good luck with the strenght routine.
    3. I hope your feet get well soon.
    4. For me yesterday there were no clouds and I had the wind on my face.
    5. Steve Jobs a great man.
    Black Knight recently posted..OctoberMy Profile