What I’m loving right now…(and a winner)

Thanks to all who entered my FitFrappe giveaway. I ran the numbers and Cheryl C. is my winner. Cheryl–send me an email at misszippy1@gmail.com and we’ll get your samples out!

A new season seems to be a good time to talk about a few of my current favorites in life. They’re all small, simple things,which to me seem to bring the most pleasure in life. Do you agree?

Without further ado, here’s what I’m diggin’ right now:

dress 001 150x150 What Im loving right now...(and a winner)

Favorite Title9 dress

This dress. It’s from Title9, one of my favorite clothing suppliers (how could it not be?). I don’t remember what clever name they gave the dress, but I know that I like it. It got lots of wear over the summer, believe me–you can throw it on and go just about anywhere in it. And because it’s black, I can easily take it into fall–just add a jacket or cardigan and it’s good to go.

Dates–Not the kind with Mr. Zippy (although I like those too!) but the kind you eat. I try not to get out of control with these, but it’s hard! They have become my go-to snack. They’ve got about 25 calories each and are quite filling, which is a good thing! Did you know they contain calcium?

RED%20RIVER What Im loving right now...(and a winner)

Red River cereal

This cereal–If you’ve been reading my blog long enough, you know I’m an oatmeal fan. But sometimes I like to switch it up and this cereal from Red River lets me do that. The good folks at Fresh Ideas Group sent me some to try and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s made with cracked wheat, cracked rye, and flax seed. That’s it. You get five grams of fiber and five grams of protein in each serving and it provides a good dose of Omega-3 too. I like that I can make it fast in the microwave. I don’t know that I’d like it plain, so I add milk and a few other things–berries, nuts, maybe some chia seeds–and I”m off.  The kids have tried it too and we’ve added it into their breakfast rotation.

This book–The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I’m reading it for my blook club and loving every word of it. It’s the true story of the first “immortal” cells in our country. They were taken from a dying woman in the

immortal life henrietta lacks 240 What Im loving right now...(and a winner)

Love this book!

1950s–without her knowledge–and have since multiplied billions of times over. They’ve been used in just about every kind of scientific research you can name. The ethical issues that go along with it, and the fact that it happened right here at Hopkins, make it so interesting to me.

So there you have it–my current list of favorites. What’s on yours?

Comments

I need to read that book.

I love Title 9, I can only afford to get like 1 thing there a year, but they rock. Wish they would sponsor me (us) :)

You know, I didn’t know how much I liked dates…I would have said I DIDN’T like dates. Until I started using them to make homemade powerbars (Larabar type) and I was like.. WHOA! These things are GOOD!
    Mandy recently posted..Happy Retirement Mom!My Profile

I need to add dates back into my rotation. I was eating them by the gallon when I made the date/fig bread for your menu. Have you made that with your love of dates lately?

I am loving my training and my recovery right now. I just emailed my coach that I’m worried I am peaking too soon but I am only 5 weeks out so maybe not too soon?

I am also loving my wife more and more everyday. The support she provides is second to none.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..What Do The Pro’s Eat?My Profile

oooo…LOVE that dress. I heard about that book on the RadioLab podcast. It was so interesting and I was wondering if the book was a good read. I’ll pick it up!

Mmmm…dates! I’ve been carrying these to fuel with on my Saturday long run and they work great for that!

Current favorites of mine:
    Dates on long runs along with a coconut water/water mix in the hydration pack (instead of sugary sports drinks)
    Matcha tea
    Thrive books by Brendan Brazier
    Hot quinoa flakes for breakfast
    Julie recently posted..Bushwacking at Lake McMurtry.My Profile

Hey – I heard about that book somewhere! I’m going to see if I can get it for Kindle. I love dates. And “dates”. I just cannot cope with oatmeal though I make it for everyone else in my family…

And love the dress. It looks GREAT!
    Petra recently posted..Overwhelmed.My Profile

I have no idea if that’s a “cute” dress or not … out of my area of expertise – it looks very nice though. I’d be interested to know where the company name came from. I suppose it has something to do with the NCAA Title9 thing.

I will have to give dates a try. Glad you mention Red River cereal I seen it in the store and have been wanting to try it. But lately when i get something new I havent been liking it and I end up throwing it away. So I was having a hard time decideing if I should buy this cereal.

Love your dress.

8. Regina says

Love processing dates with fresh squeezed lime, nuts and unsweetened coconut an then rolling them into balls, refrigerate; so yummy!!

I’m reading that book too! You must Google Radio Lab. They do a podcast/radio show for NPR. The did a whole show about her some time back; awesome!

I loved The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, but I finished the book and wasn’t sure what to do next. I’m in biomedical research and HeLa cells are used everywhere. I feel like Hopkins owes her family more education so they can find some peace, but beyond that I”m not sure what the right thing to do is.