One step forward/10 back

It sure is a lot more fun to write posts about returning to running than returning to water running. But here I am. Again.

While on vacation I was cleared to try a little running/walking as long as I wasn’t feeling any effects from all the hiking we were doing. I got through the first run ok, but then throwing a four-mile hike on top of it was too much. I felt my left foot’s fourth metatarsal rear its head. I put a call into my PT and we both agreed that I needed to skip the remaining two runs we had laid out.

The left foot settled down pretty quickly, which made me happy. On Saturday, feeling good, I decided to go out and do a brisk walk for about 75 minutes. I headed up the nearby mountain (trying to be brave doing this by myself!) and after coming back down, continued on walking. Feeling good, I threw in a couple of minutes of running here and there to finish things out.

After that, a short hike with the kids. This is where I felt my right foot, which is where my cuboid bone was effected. Took Sunday off to fly home and then today headed back to the PT’s office to talk through it. After testing me on some weight bearing exercises and feeling some resulting pain, he and I decided I needed to step back from running for now.

I won’t kid you, this is hard. I have not really run or done anything of substance fitness wise for pretty much all of 2011. The mistake this time was probably getting onto the AlterG a bit too soon. I knew it was a gamble, but hoped that I was where I needed to be. The first few runs felt so great, I really thought I was in the clear.

So now the plan is to spend two to four weeks doing non-weight bearing exercises. And that does not include the bike or pushing off the walls with my feet when swimming. After I get a couple of weeks pain-free here, I can progress to the bike. A couple of weeks pain-free there, and back to the AlterG.

Far too much deja-vu, I can tell you. Somehow I have to summon the enthusiasm to face this again. I have a head cold right now, which is actually pretty well timed because it gives me a little excuse not to face the pool for a day or two.

I’m telling you, this really has to be it. I have done this too long. I need running back in my life, permanently.

Comments

1. Morgan says

I'm so sorry this happened girl, I'm right there with you. No really, I'm seriously right there with you. My PT nixed xtraining again last week. I'm back to pool workouts only. Again. Why the heck do these set backs keep plaguing us?!??! You'd think by now we'd catch a break…

Sending you all the healing vibes I can!

2. Matty O says

Don't hate me. But completely removed from your situation… Something is not right that you are getting MORE injured on something that is supposed to "prevent" injury.

Granted you have done the research ( I haven't )… all I can say is that I would be highly doubting what is going on with your doctors and your continued return to square one.

I totally feel for you, and can understand what you are going through (to an extent) but would not stand for this long of a return to running.

I got injured changing my running form, switched back and all I have now are IT issues (most likely from running and biking stress). I want you running again! I know what it does for the mind and body. Keep being smart!!!

3. Marlene says

I'm sorry that you are back to this spot again and can only imagine the frustration. Hoping you and Morgan BOTH catch a break SOON.

4. Holly @ RUST BELT RUNNER says

So sorry to hear about your ongoing running woes.

It has to be incredibly frustrating for you.

Thank you for providing us updates on your jounrey. You never know when this could come in helpful for another runner.

5. ShutUpandRun says

Well crap. I am SO sorry. You have been very careful and diligent. I wish I knew the answer or the time line. Call me if you want. Just sucks.

6. Kittee says

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am right there with you and hating life right now. I just want to be able to run pain free. I haven't even posted on my blog because I feel like such a whiner and dont want to bring anyone else down. :( Hang in there, keep your chin up and remember the pool is our friend.

I am sending you tons of healing vibes!!!

7. Allison says

I am so sorry. Being injured just sucks. Wish we could pool run together. Hang in there. Hopefully it's just a smaller bump in the road, and you'll be 3 or 4 more steps ahead before you know it.

8. Aimee says

OH NO! I am so sorry that you are going through this again! I know how frustrating this must be for you! Just know that I am pulling for you and hoping that you are pain free soon!

9. *~*~* Tracy says

This just stinks, and I'm so sorry things have taken this turn for you.

I ran Saturday and this morning with great trepidation. I'm also completely sick and tired of not running.

I hope your feet cooperate and get better soon!

10. Teamarcia says

Ugh. I'm so sorry A. I was so hoping NOT to read a post like this from you. I'm banging my head against the wall FOR you. Big hugs.

11. XLMIC says

I hear you. I have been there. I had to sit out of the running world (pretty much any exercise, actually) for 8 years. While you're healing that damn foot, I would strongly encourage you to find some additional thing to running that makes your heart sing. It will help the healing go faster.
    I am so sorry to not be uplifting but I figured sometimes 'real' from someone who's been there can also help. And I am finally running again :)

Wishing you all the very best and speedy healing :)

12. Katie says

oooh, babe, I am so sorry and really feel for you. how effing frustrating! next time you're down in DC, coffee is on me.

13. Kate says

Ugh. :( This stinks. I know it must be hard to summon up positivity and motivation when you probably want to bang your head against a wall and cry. XLMIC's advice sounds really smart. Hang in there.

14. ajh says

So sorry to read this. Not at all what we want to be hearing about how you are doing.I can imagine you are beyond discouraged. Wallow in it for a bit and then do what you need to do.

15. Jennifer says

Dangnabit! So sorry, I can hear you are frustrated but handling it way better than I would be able to! Good luck with this next iteration of your healing, I hope it goes fast.

16. SupermomE12 says

Oh man! This is ridiculous. I am so sorry. Have you gotten a second opinion?? I sure hope things go smoothly this time and you can be back to running SOON. Hugs!!

17. Angie Bee says

I feel ya sista. I have not done hardly anything this year. Have had to give up races I was signed up for and have been so restless. Still don't know whats up with my ticker but at least don't feel like its getting worse.
    Hugs to you :)

18. Tri-Living says

HUGE HUGS!!!!! After suffering 5 sfx's feel like sometimes I'm never running. You are doing what you need to do and you will come back from this. Your body just says.. wait. I know this is an awful feeling and we curse our bodies during this time. Healing, healing my cyber friend!!!

19. Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog says

Oh what a bummer! I can't even imagine how I would deal with this, I hope you heal up soon!

20. Kate says

I cringed when I saw the title of this post and hoped it was referring to ANYTHING other than running. :( This sucks. I'm sorry. I won't try to comfort you because let's face it, no one can.

Grrr. I can feel your pain and frustration all the way in San Diego through this post…

21. MCM Mama says

I'm sorry. That just sucks! I feel your pain – I've been off and on with my achilles and with the kids out of school for the summer, I didn't have many cross-training options. I'm barely running now and I feel like such a slug.

Hope your body gets back on board soon.

BTW, I'm going to be in Shepherdstown for a conference at the end of September and plan to hit the running store we talked about.

22. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

MissZ, I hate reading this. I wish I had some good advise/answers b/c I know how frustrating not being able to run is. Hard to really put into words but I do understand where you are coming from. I hope you can get to the root of the problem asap. That is probably the hardest part. Keep going full speed ahead on all the activities you are allowed to do in the meantime even though deep down we know nothing can ever take the place of running.

23. Jim ... 50after40 says

Man, I'm so sorry – I know that has to be killing you. I hope you get better and get it figured out soon. You are one of the athletes that I REALLY look up to in the blog world. Hang in there – I know you're probably tired of hearing that, but it's all I got!

24. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

it's so weird to me that some injuries will heal quickly and others plague us for months on end. you are doing all the right things, so hopefully it will get better!

25. e410 says

Craaaaaap this SUCKS. No pretty way to say it. I'm so so sorry this dejavu crap is happening to you. Totally not fair, considering how smart you've been about taking care of your body. I just don't get it :( Thinking of you.

26. Char says

It must feel like you're beating your head against a brick wall sometimes. How frustrating!! But I know how persistent you are and if anyone can get to the other side it's you.

27. Jamoosh says

Feet are finicky and that really sucks. So much for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Take it easy, treat your feet well, and get back to running.

28. Jill says

*sigh*
    You know I completely understand….and if you ever want to talk, or vent (there's a difference you know :)), you know where I am – I'd love it!! I had one of the suckiest relays ever last weekend … I need to shut up and be thankful I can at least run, even if it's 3 minutes / mile slower than it should be.

((hugs))

29. Meaghan says

Oh, that is so sucktastic. How incredibly frustrating. Try to stay positive if you can. Hang in there. xoxoxo..

30. Coy Martinez says

What a bummer..and trust me, I know. I sooo know. This year has been much the same for me. You feel cursed at times and then I would scowl at people who had great feet that could run like the wind. No fair right!?

A blessing in disguise is that I found how much I love swimming. I bought a swimp3 player and listen to music while hammering out miles in the water.

Do you like to swim? Maybe give it a shot. I know it's just not the same as running but maybe it'll help.

31. Denise says

nooooo! i'm so, so sorry to read this. i can only imagine how hard this must be. try to hang in there and i hope it's a speedy recovery.

32. lindsay says

Nooooo! This blows :-/ try to be as positive as you can, negative thoughts never help, but I know it's not easy. I'm sidelined myself with non-injury problems which are frustraing too! Hope the round of non-impact training and slow rebuild goes smoothly!

33. H Love says

you poor girl! you have been such a trooper…never giving up! you will get through this! praying for patience!

34. Cynthia O'H says

I'm so sorry about this. I know how frustrated you are. Every run out, I have to tell myself to be careful.
    You have the perseverance to push through this; it may go faster than you think (really hoping it does).

Crossing fingers for you.

35. Caratunk Girl says

Oh Amanda, I am so sorry. I am sending you lots of healing vibes. I want to hear that you are feeling better and are running again soon. SO FRUSTRATING! Hugs to you.

36. bobbi says

damn, I am so sorry to read this – I was as hopeful as you were that you were on the way back…

try to hang in there – sending HEALING vibes your way…

37. Nelly says

Really sorry to hear about this setback. You have been a trooper through this whole process. As you probably know I'm also injured, us injured people just gotta keep the faith. Me, you, Morgan and Coy should start some sort of injured club or something!

38. Dash says

I'm really bummed for you. I know the only thing that makes pool running bearable, is that I can and do, still run.

I really hope this is the fix and I hope we can hook up soon!! Let me know about one of the upcoming weekends and the dog park! or not the dog park… it's just you have a dog, Katie has a dog, Amy has a dog, Beth and Liz want a dog…

39. That Pink Girl says

I'm so sorry. I wish I had words of wisdom, but younger already doing what you should, taking care of you. Hang in there and know we are ALL rooting for you to be healthy and whole!