Pinch Me!

Pinch Me!
Easing my way back with the AlterG

‘Cause I think this running thing’s really happening. I started back this week on the AlterG anti-gravity treadmill. Two runs down with no pain during or after.

I went into this a bit unsure if this was the time to give it a go or not. My most recent set of MRIs looked pretty good, but I still felt that I had some occasional pain in my feet. The doctor had told me I needed to be pain free for three straight weeks. I finally decided it was time to try. If it didn’t work out, I’d wait it out a few more weeks.

If it weren’t for the AlterG, I’m not sure I’d be running yet. I’m going to follow an 8-week progression plan that my PT has set up. My first run was just 1.5 miles at only 60% of my weight. Today I did two miles at 65%; Monday I go to 2.5 miles at 70%. By the end of the fourth week, I’ll do my first run on land and by the end of the eighth week, I will be at 31 miles between the AlterG and land. If you’ve ever been through a stress fracture/reaction, you know that this is a MUCH faster return to running than if you were doing it all on land. I like the fast track, I’ll admit.

And yet.

Here’s the thing about bad injuries–they happen to your head just as much as your body. I’m still a nervous wreck about this return. I still don’t quite believe it is happening.

But.

I’m a pretty worthy opponent, so I don’t intend to let this injury do a number on me. I’m going to work on the mental as much as the physical. Each step forward brings progress and I’m going to draw on that.

I’m going to own 2012.

Comments

1. Marlene says

2012 better look out, because you are COMING BACK! So awesome to have access to the AlterG as you rebuild.

2. AM! says

HI!

I love that you have access to this AlterG machine. That itself is pretty sweet.

Happy Running! Happy Feet for 2012 friend!;-)

3. Jen says

SO excited for you! You are really lucky that you have access to that machine. And I know what you mean about the mental part of an injury. That's almost just as hard. But you are such a strong woman that I know you'll come back from that stronger than you went in.

4. Adrienne says

Right attitude, Lady! It's all about the balance of being where you are at and looking ahead.

I'm sooo jealous you have Alter-G access!

5. Run with Jess says

You are totally gonna rock 2012!! So is that AlterG at your gym, or a rehab place? It's so cool, would love to try one some day (unhurt of course!)

6. Nelly says

Awesome that you get to run on an Alter G! It would be like Xmas morning if I was able to run on one of those.

And I could have copy and pasted your entire post today for my injury as well, 2012 is indeed going down just like you say, haha

7. Coy Martinez says

check that machine out! I love it! You're doing great and at least you have your mind under control! I hate when that's worse than the injury.

8. XLMIC says

It's awesome to be on track…fast or slow…getting to do it again is the best :) I am so glad for you!

9. NY Wolve says

Good luck with that! How did it feel in one of those? Love to hear about your experience and thoughts on them. And where are they? At PT Centers? I have never seen one at a gym.

10. Jason says

OK, seriously I am fist pumping in my kitchen right now because of that last statement:

I'M GOING TO OWN 2012

YES YES AND YES…..oh baby the great MissZ is on coming back and you better get out of her way.

Loving it!

11. Leah @ Chasing Atalanta says

Best of luck coming back!

Our local Run Guru has an Alter-G he keeps telling me to come test-drive. One of these days…After all, I'd much rather test drive it while healthy than have to run on it because I'm injured.

12. runningonwords says

Yay for your comeback! After reading this, I tried to convince my husband we should get an alter-G, but he assures me it sounds expensive. Wimp.

13. 2 Slow 4 Boston says

I know you're getting a lot of comments about the AlterG. And I'm gonna be another… I would love to try that thing out! I'm sure you would rather be uninjured than having to use it.

Good luck with your rehab (it didn't work out a well for Amy Winehouse) Excuse the pop culture reference.

Eventually your brain will accept that you are healed also. I've been through my share of injuries.

14. Petraruns says

Great news that you're back onto it – take it easy (but you know that!) – enjoy your return. Running is waiting for you!

15. Julie says

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Cynthia O'H says

That is fantastic news. I'm envious of the AlterG – still haven't seen anything like that here.
    I can sense that 2012 is going to be your year:)

17. Julie D. says

i have no doubt 2012 is yours. Love your outlook…you are an inspiration…and SO cool that you get to run on a alter-G!

18. Ana-Maria RunTriLive says

So how does it feel to run at 60% of your weight?
    You are right about "mental injuries" as well. It took me one year to not automatically scan my leg for potential SF pain after having the dreaded injury. It helps to trust what your doctors are saying, and let them worry about it!

19. That Pink Girl says

I've always wanted to try the Alter G…glad you are having success with it. You ARE going to own 2012!!!

20. The Hungry Runner Girl says

AHHHH OH MY GOODNESS!! The alterG is AMAZING and I AM SO HAPPY you have the opportunity to use it to get you BACK in the game!! Really this makes my day!! You go girl!

21. Shellyrm ~ just a country runner says

I couldn't agree with your statement more! I've had thigh pain for a while since starting my heavy cross training (changing these often leads to issues). But more than the discomfort in my leg, it messed with my mind so much that I wrecked my July. (I went to the dr and got the all clear. No stress fracture, no bone cancer, nothing serious. Most likely an issue of, you guesses it, overuse with the running, cross training then throw in waaay too many barefoot sand/surf miles that messed up my form.)
    You are so fortunate to have the option to use the AlterG. You are going to own 2012!