Outstanding

Outstanding

Pardon me while I shamelessly boast about my son’s weekend performance! First there was his swim meet on Saturday: 1st in back stroke; 2nd in IM; 1st in his free relay.

Then came Sunday at his kids triathlon. This is the fourth year of this event and it has really taken off in size. The first year the race director limited it to 150 kids. This year it was 400 and living here in Type A Alley, it sold out a month in advance. The distances for my guy’s age group: 100-yd. swim; 2-mile bike; 1/2-mile run. His time: 16:10, good enough for 6th place out of 64 boys in his age group. I couldn’t be prouder.

He wasn’t as thrilled with his results as I was. He’s a bit hard on himself, which is something I need to work on with him. I did point out to him, however, that he did all this without training for it, other than the swim thanks to swim team. I told him that if he was unhappy with his results, he could put some time into training for the bike and the run. It’s a good lesson for this age.

I personally don’t care how he does, just that he’s doing it at all. I love that there are kids events like this that encourage kids to get out there and stay in shape. It’s so much fun to see the kids participating in this kind of thing. Here’s to healthy kids.

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. runningonwords says:

Wow, your son did incredible, especially for no training!

2. Congrats to your son!! He had an awesome weekend. Kudos to mom as well.

3. Pass on a huge congrats to your son! He did an amazing job! :)

4. Huge congrats to him…I love seeing kids involved in activities like this..I know I certainly wasn't exposed to them at all.

5. outstanding indeed! its so nice to see kids participating in exercise and sports! youre obviously a great influence on him!!! i cant wait until haley can do these kinds of things!

6. so cute!! he's a mini zippy!!

7. Running Ricig says:

awesome job by your son!!! I guess it runs in the family :)

8. ShutUpandRun says:

Wow, that is some amazing stuff. Congrats to him!!

9. Teamarcia says:

Congrats to the little Zip! he did awesome and feel free to boast away anytime–how great there are more and more opportunities for kids to do tris–love it!

10. Raquelita says:

Congratulations to both your son and to you! Awesome must run in the Zippy clan!

11. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

Looks like you have a Mini Zippy on your hands! Congrats to him!

12. Tri-Living says:

Outstanding is right!!!!!!! Congrats!

13. Adrienne says:

There is nothing better for kids than being active and enjoying competition!

Brag away, your son's a little stud! :)

14. Congrats to both of you:)

15. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Congrats to your son, what an awesome weekend

16. Allison says:

That's awesome!! Congrats to your son!

Mine is hard on himself too. That's a toughy. I can't ever seem to find the right thing to say to him…

17. Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner says:

Congrats to your son–he did so well!

18. Coy Martinez says:

I love swim meets! My daughter has been swimming for the past two years! When she joined the swim team she actually taught me how to swim the right way for triathlons. She was 10 at the time!

Congrats to your son! I know how proud they are to collect those ribbons!

19. The Happy Runner says:

Hey, you're a mom. You're supposed to shamelessly boast :-)

COngrats to your son. V. awesome!

20. This is really great! Congratulations to your son! I love events for kids.

21. This is fantastic! I love kids races, and your approach with it will really help him stay at the right level of competitiveness/training for his age. Congrats!

22. SupermomE12 says:

Congrats to your son! That is so awesome! It is so great to see kids being active and I think they learn a lot of great things participating in sports. :)

23. Detroit Runner(Jeff) says:

Wow. Outstanding results with no training. I can't wait to see what training brings!

24. giraffy says:

That's AWESOME, congrats to him!! I love kids getting involved :D

25. BabyWeightMyFatAss says:

That's pretty cool!!

26. That's wonderful! There's no feeling like seeing your kids work to succeed. :)

27. Melissa Cunningham says:

thats so awesome!!!!!
    i love seeing children get involved in athletic events such as this!
    cant wait till my little ones are old enough to start training with!!!
    congats to your son!

28. Congrats to your son. Brag away.

29. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

if I ever have kids I totally want to be the mom that pushes a jogging stroller and then cheers like crazy at any sport they do

30. Summer Jo says:

How exciting! My proud momma moment this week was when my 3 year old went to Sunday School by himself… haha

31. *~*~* Tracy says:

Congrats to your Zippy son! Great job, especially with so little training.

I hope to get my 5 y/o in the water so he can tri (the kid was tons of energy that I need to harness in good ways).

32. Be proud and brag away. He did great!

33. Aww well done to your son I would be bragging too!

34. very impressive and i love the lessons that you are teaching him. That is perfect.

35. So wonderful for you and your son! It must have been so much fun to witness that. Congratulations!

36. Richelle says:

Yay! Congrats to your son! He's taking after his speedy mama! :)

37. Love this! My son is only 5, but did one of those runs they have at the HIMs. He's convinced he won it even though he got knocked down. He did get up and keep running though; so proud!

38. Julie D. says:

that is so awesome!! Congrats to him. I had to laugh…"Type A alley" hilarious!

39. ownyourbackbone.blogspot.com says:

Good stuff going on in Ellicott City! They are lucky to have the likes of you and your fit family. We lead by example. Your son is taking yours. Awesome.

40. lindsay says:

Congrats to mini mr. zippy! Got to love the competitive spirit — provided it's of a healthy level of course. Glad it's motivating him to work hard instead of give up.

41. Marissa says:

awesome accomplishments! What a great weekend for all of you :)

Oh yes, when I taught p.e. a lot of my students competed in kids triathlons and I thought it was SO great that they host events like these to get kids motivated and excited about exercise! Priceless!!

42. Marlene says:

That's fantastic! Congrats to your son. Must be so nice to have a little athlete in the family!

43. Caratunk Girl says:

WOW!! Your son did incredible Amanda!! What an athelete!

44. This is awesome! I'm so impressed that he got out there and did it even if he didn't feel like he was totally trained! You should be so proud!

45. Colleen says:

Awesome! Does he want to come teach me how to swim??? :) No, seriously…