Sometimes you can’t be superman (or woman)

376591423 c0b3889fc6 Sometimes you cant be superman (or woman)

Mr. Zippy likes to claim that he is SuperMan thanks to his very fortunate genes. While I lead a healthy lifestyle and still manage to get sick and injured, SuperMan, Mr. Zippy somehow manages time and again to eat crappy food, train through injury upon injury, and never slow down. It’s frustrating.

Today I was reminded once again that I am indeed ordinary human. I got word late yesterday that Christopher McDougall was coming to Two Rivers Treads in Shepherdstown, WV. This is a mere hour and 15 minute drive from my house, so I decided that even though I had tons on my plate today, I would somehow make it happen. I was even going to bring the kids, who were excited about doing some barefoot running with a group like this.

As the day progressed, however, it became clear I wasn’t going to pull it off. I had laundry up to my ears, packing for a beach trip, an email blast to send out to my running club, and a plethora of other things. As much as I wanted to get over there to meet McDougall in the flesh, it would have meant staying up really late to finish things off so that we could head to the shore tomorrow morning. And since I’ve been just about falling asleep at stop lights the past few days, I decided I’d rather get to bed at a decent hour tonight.

I’m bummed to miss this opportunity, but also relieved to not have to put it into overdrive to make it happen. Sometimes, we have to admit we’re human. Well, maybe not Mr. Zippy.

Comments

1. Tri-Living...Together says:

Wow! I can relate to every thing you said.. wanting to go but realizing that it just can't happen. I'm sorry you missed seeing him! We can only do so much and I'm sure you made the right decision.

2. SupermomE12 says:

Sometimes it stinks being human, huh?? And yeah, men suck. Josh struggles with injuries more than I do, but he can eat ANYTHING and he if he just thinks about exercising he doesn't gain any weight, and if he actually DOES exercise he loses weight, even eating all kinds of junk. :)

Sounds like you did what you had to do, and that is all we can do on any given day.

Hey! I got my first issue of Women's Running magazine and saw your ad. So cool!

3. Amanda@runninghood says:

No kidding. This superwoman is off to take nap now instead of do all the "super" stuff I had planned. I'm tired just taking all three kids to the store!!

4. I pulled one of those "Superman" days off this last Saturday with 10hrs of volunteer work before running a race. I was still a zombie 3 days later. Pushing our limits is how we grow, but knowing when to say enough is how we stay healthy.

5. MCM Mama says:

Sorry you couldn't make it up there, but as someone who's been burning the candle at both ends AND the middle, I think you made a wise decision. One of these days I want to get up to that store with you though.

6. Being Human Stinks!

7. You? Human? Nah…you're about as Superwoman as they come!!

8. "Mr. Zippy".

LOL.

That's awesome.

9. Caratunk Girl says:

I can totally relate, sometimes the time just seems to slip away. It is a bummer you missed him but you know, everything happens for a reason.

10. Ugg I know the feeling! I have so much I want to do this week and just cannot seem to get it all done! I keep pushing things to the next day but everything needs to be done by tomorrow. So sorry you missed an opportunity.

11. Tri-James says:

I saw him when he came to Mississippi – laundry can wait …

12. *~*~* Tracy says:

It sounds like you made the right choice. There's no sense running yourself into the ground and getting stressed out. There will be other super great opportunities before you know it.

I looked for you; I was able to go for a short time (I had Shane/tornado boy with me and had to bail early). It was really great watching him and Mark work in tandem. It was a pretty big turn out.
    I'm going to try to go again next Thursday to talk to Laura about some strength training I can do that doesn't involve standing on my foot.

13. Damn I hate having to admit that I'm human. But I'm finding I have to do it more and more so I may as well do it with humour and good grace.

14. Sucks that you're human. ;) Sounds like it would have been a great event and I'm sure it was incredibly disappointing to realize you wouldn't get there. Sometimes life just gets in the way. I hope you have a great vacation!

15. What Mark said. I have to admit that I'm the Mary of our household, ready to push anything I have to do to the side to do what I want to do, but I always pay for it later.

16. Chris K says:

Bummer. Not sure I'd drive an hour to see him even if I did have the time. For what it's worth. Look at the bright side, you did get to hang with Ian.

17. Running Ricig says:

bummer! It really does stink when you realize you're human!

18. Jessica (The Pace of Me) says:

You are so right – coming to terms with not being able to do it all is tough. But sometimes I think though that making decisions like that actually DOES qualify you for superhero status — the strength and perspective to set priorities and make the right choices for ourselves and for our families is not easy for even mere mortals. I am sure you made the right decision, as hard as it was, and now you will have more energy for your trip tomorrow :o)

19. I hate it when our superhuman powers can't keep up with our demands – dangit!! Sorry you didn't get to meet Mr. McDougall, that would have been a great opportunity. But a beach trip sounds even awesomer and you're going to have so much fun!!

btw, I get to meet Marshall Ulrich Saturday night, he lives closeby and is a good friend of the main cross country coach. I'm so excited (and am about half way through his book!).

Happy 4th, have a blast in the mts.

(btw, again, was thinking about you today. How's the feet??)

20. I mean beach, not mountains. Sheesh, I need to get my geography straight!

21. Colleen says:

Wait… so you are human? :) Eh… you are still superwoman in my eyes!

22. Michael says:

I think maybe Mr. Zippy and Jim are related :)

You know you can't do it all – that's so true. Sometimes you just have to make smart decisions and I think you did

23. Richelle says:

Bummer that you didn't get to see Christopher McDougall, but I would bet that he'll be in your area again soon. And then everything will work in your favor and you'll be able to hear him speak and meet him. :)

24. Silly Girl Running says:

Welll…you are a superhero in my book! :)

25. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Your still a superhero in my books

26. Marissa says:

sorry you missed it, but SO true. We're all human and sometimes there's just not enough hours in the day…

27. Mr.Zippy may not like to admit it, but he's human, too :)
    Sounds like you made a smart decision and I bet you'll have another opportunity to meet Chris M.!

28. In my eyes you are a superwoman no matter what you claim. Now one thing makes me wonder though, you chose laundry and packing over seeing Christopher McDougall???? Guess what I would do… :-)
    Have a wonderful weekend, Mrs Superwoman.

29. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

ahhh … I remember that drive down 70W. Used to do it ALL THE TIME! Annie always wanted to stop at the outlets! Probably a good call though!

30. Black Knight says:

You are superwoman and McDougall is human.
    I am sure he is terribly sad because he didn't meet …Superwoman!!!!

31. Your SuperWoman in my book. Sorry you were not able to makeit to see Chris. But will are probably going to enjoy this day so much more that you got things done and a good nights sleep. Have a great weekend

32. Coy Martinez says:

I would love to meet him too but I think when it comes to packing for a trip and being sleep deprived, not even Brad Pitt could lure me to stay venture out. :)

33. Relax, rest up and have fun at the shore. We can't do it all.

34. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

Sounds like you had a very FULL plate. I don't know how you career, running momma's so it all.

I hope this weekend gives you a chances to enjoy yourself at a slower pace!!

35. Annette@(running)In the Right Direction says:

New follower here! Liked the post…looking forward to reading some more. I too am NOT superwoman although I try at times lo…

36. Story of my life….

I think I am the last person on the planet who is finally getting around to reading his book…love it!

37. The Green Girl says: