Yin Yang

YinYang1 Yin Yang
Yin yang how polar or seemingly contrary forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other in turn. Opposites thus only exist in relation to each other.
The older I get, the more I come to understand the truth of this. I believe we can appreciate the sweet things life has to give us, but I also believe we can appreciate them all the more when we experience life’s lows. In it’s most simplistic form–sleeping in one day per week is so much more valuable when we get up early the other six; a good race is sweeter thanks to the bad race that preceded it; the occasional indulgence is more appreciated because we eat clean 99 percent of the time.
I have led a blessed, happy life. Yes, I’ve worked hard for much of what I have, but lots of it was handed to me. My life has always been so good, in fact, that I’m always kind of waiting for a shoe to drop.
A shoe has dropped and of late, I’ve come to appreciate my fortune all the more. My mom was recently diagnosed with round three of cancer and her future is unclear. She’s such a strong woman and has always fought hard; I know she’ll continue that this time. But watching her, and my dad, go through this, is tough.
The clarity I get from this is that we do need to recognize and hold onto those good times. They can pass pretty quickly if we’re not careful. So savor the moments when:
  • Our loved ones are healthy and we get to enjoy their company
  • Our kids are thriving
  • We’re healthy and training and in great shape
  • We have good jobs
  • We have the ability and means to take part in sports we love

Yin yang–life’s lows let us appreciate how sweet the highs can be.

pin it button Yin Yang

Comments

1. Teamarcia says:

So true! I always think when I'm running hard into the wind why I didn't appreciate it more when it was at my back.
    So sorry to hear about your mom. Wishing all of you strength and peace and comfort in dealing with whatever lies ahead. hugs!

2. Adrienne says:

Thanks for the reminder. Positive thoughts and prayers for your mom and family.

3. Runblondie26 says:

I'm sorry to here about your mom. She's one determined lady to have kicked cancer twice, may she continue to be that strong. Many hugs and well wishes to you and your family.

4. I'm sorry about your mom though really agree with Runblondie26 that she's clearly determined and strong! My thoughts are with your family.

And, thanks for a great post. This is so true and the reminder is important.

5. I'm so sorry to hear of your Mom's illness, sending you good thoughts and prayers.

6. ModernMom says:

Sending hugs, prayers and strength to you and your Mom….

7. Lisa {eatprayrun-lisa.blogspot.com} says:

I think it's a blessing of sorts to be able to realize this truth. Not everyone can realize the relationship of the ups and downs of life, and how that can give you the chance to truly enjoy the ups and remain strong through the downs. Sending good thoughts to your mom, your family and to you.

8. Tri-James says:

Embrace every day and cherish all.

9. Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog says:

Sorry to hear about your Mom, sending hugs and prayers your way. You are so right about life being Yin and Yang, I always try to remember all my blessings when things are going bad.

10. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer is such a wretched disease. :(

11. Very sorry to hear about your Mom. Your post is very true, the lows certainly put the highs in full view.

12. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. So very very sorry. As you know, I unfortunately understand this very thing. It is so hard to think of our life without my mom and it is incredibly painful to watch her fight through this battle, but to have to see my dad deal with it is just as heartbreaking to me. We are blessed to have this time here with them and must make the very most of it!
    I'm thinking of you and praying for your mom and dad.

13. Sending prayers and love to you and your family.

14. SupermomE12 says:

I will have you and your family and your family in my prayers.

15. My thoughts are with you and your family, may your mom fight hard and recover quickly. {hugs}

16. Raquelita says:

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate and be grateful for those sweet moments.

17. So sorry about your mom. Your post was beautifully written though and I like how you can see the things that make life sweet. Truly you can't enjoy or appreciate the good without the bad. Thinking of you and your family.

18. Very well said. Sending positive thoughts your way for your Mother.

19. Running Ricig says:

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. This is an amazing post though, thank you.

20. funderson says:

Sending good thoughts for your mom and you all as well. Take good care of yourself.

21. i'm sending lots of good thoughts towards your family. a good but sad reminder that life is so precious.

22. BabyWeightMyFatAss says:

Sorry to hear about your Mom but you have a great spirit. Your post was a wonderful reminder about life.

23. *~*~* Tracy says:

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Our prayers are with you all.

24. I'm so sorry about your mom. My thoughts are with you and your family for your mom's recovery. Cancer sucks.

25. drkgood says:

I'm sorry about your mom. Prayers of healing and strength are being sent to her and your family.

26. Allison says:

Oh, I am so very sorry about your mom. I can't imagine. You are absolutely spot on with this post. Thank you for the reminder. Sending prayers your way, Miss Zippy. Hang in there.

27. giraffy says:

Very, very true. So sorry about your mom. Best wishes and thoughts for her, and you.

28. Lesley @ racingitoff.com says:

I love your outlook!

So so sorry about your mom.

29. MCM Mama says:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Sending positive thoughts your way.

How are your feet doing?

30. I couldn't agree more with you. I've always been someone who embraced life and was grateful for what I've had but after losing my Dad in 2000 I got even more aware of it. I've changed after that happened as a person in a positive way.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and hope and pray that she can get treatment and will heal. Big hug for you.

31. Coy Martinez says:

You're truly right. We often don't stop to realize how we're blessed. I'm sorry about your mom. Nice post.

32. TeamMancuso says:

My heart goes out to you! My father died from cancer when I was 12, my husband lost his father to cancer 2 yrs ago. I will be praying hard that she beats that monster within!!(aka mamarunsbarefoot)

33. Jennifer says:

It's always 50/50. You can't have one without the other. When I have too much of the good I get worried! I have always been a glass half full person and I see your attitude and it's clear you are too. Sending some positive thoughts during your time of difficulty!

34. Silly Girl Running says:

So sorry to hear about your mom. Thinking of you and your loved ones and sending you strength, hope and healing.

35. Matty O says:

So sorry, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I agree with your post though, sometimes it is sad that it takes something like that to really ground you.

36. Big Daddy Diesel says:

My thoughts and prayers are given to your mother with all the strength I have to help her fight this and heal quickly

37. Yes, I can 100% relate!!

Sorry to hear about your mom :(.

38. You have such a great attitude – not to wallow but to appreciate. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I'm sending all my best wishes to her and your family for the time ahead.

39. Health is what it is all about. Also about a year and a half ago I was the only one employed in my family. Now we all have good jobs. I continue to be very thankful for that. Very sorry to hear about your mom.

40. Jim ... 50after40 says:

Sorry about your mom – will pray for her. Great post and great advice. Best wishes to your family.

41. I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is going through this yet again. You and your family are in my prayers.

42. I'm so sorry about your mom. Wishing you and your family the best.

43. runningonwords says:

I hope things go well for your family and I'll be thinking of you and your mother.

44. Yet so very true. Instead of counting our sorrows, its best to celebrate our blessings each and every day.

45. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

I am so sorry about your mom and I will have her and your family in my prayers ((HUGS))

46. Candice @ I Have Run says:

So sorry about your mom's news. Luckily she has a strong daughter behind her.

And thank you for this reminder!

47. Average A says:

Great reminders to always keep the positives in front of mind.

48. Richelle says:

What a good reminder for us all to appreciate the good things in life. So sorry to hear about your mom! I will keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

49. Amanda@runninghood says:

Aww, Amanda, I'm so glad I came to your blog tonight. This was so worth reading and taking in. Thank you. So true. And I'm deeply sorry to hear about your mom. Praying for her and hoping good is to come. xo

50. Michelle says:

Sending love and light your way for you and your family! Hang in there!

51. Julie D. says:

So sorry about your mom! Praying for strength for all of you. A great reminder… Life is truly appreciated more through adversity. Been thinking about this a lot lately. Hugging on my family more and more.

52. Prayers are sent.

53. I RUN LIKE A GIRL says:

Ahh, great post!! Thanks for the reminder. So sorry to hear about your mom – sending prayers her way.

I'm a new follower in the DC area. My mother-in-law lives in Ellicott City, so I'm very familiar with the area. Will also be up that way this weekend for Columbia Tri!

willrunformargaritas.blogspot.com

54. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

Wow. That's perspective. I'm so so sorry that you mom (and dad) must battle this horrid disease. Thoughts and prayers with you, A.

55. Marlene says:

I am so sorry for the news on Mom. May you all find strength!

56. I don't have anything else to add that others haven't said, so just hugs and warm thoughts to you.

57. Shellyrm ~ just a country runner says:

Praying that you are all given the strength you need in the days ahead!

58. The Green Girl says:

::big big hugs:

59. Caratunk Girl says:

Amanda, I am just getting around to being caught up on blogs – so I am just now reading this. I am so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you.

60. I am so sorry to hear about your mom! I am sending lots of healing and positive vibes her way.

61. Colleen says:

I'm finally catching up with blogs and just read about your mom. Keeping you, her, and your family, in my thoughts!