Three things Thursday (pick a tri version)

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my last post about my mom. I’m lucky to have a great support system, one that extends into the virtual world at that.

An update on my feet–I think I am making some progress with them. The left one, which started hurting first, is definitely tracking ahead of the right, but my right one is also getting better. For the past week I’ve been extremely conservative, only water running and a little swimming. I’m hoping that in another week I can put the bike back into the equation, and then move towards running again. Haven’t I been here before this year? Not the kind of deja vu I like!

Onto some potential racing plans. It’s clear that I won’t be running heavy mileage for quite some time and that I’ll need to supplement with cycling and swimming. To me that means I should put my cross-training to good use with a triathlon. I’m thinking late summer to early fall is when, but I still need to figure out which tri. Because summer limits me time-wise, I’m thinking a sprint is in order. So help me pick:

1. Tri the Wildwoods, Aug. 20–A sprint distance at the Jersey Shore. Pros–A nice weekend get-away for the family and a flat course. Cons–Requires travel time and expense and follows right on the heels of vacation.
2. Delaware Diamondman sprint, Sept. 11–Pros–Can drive up day of race for this one. cons–The bike is 16 miles and the run is only 2 miles. Not playing to my strong suit with that combination.
3. Marshman sprint, Sept. 18–Pros–It’s near where we used to live in the Philadelphia area and we have friends I could stay with/visit. Cons–It’s one week out from the Ragnar relay I’m running with my friends.

So–opinions, please! Which do you think I should do?

Comments

1. MrsQ318 says:

I vote for number two… It may not play to your strong suit, but the challenge could be a good thing!

2. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I vote Marshman, it sounds like you want to run more then Diamondman, it should only take you 24-48 hours to recover from the race, if that, and you will be in taper mode anyways for Ragnar that week.

3. *~*~* Tracy says:

I also vote for the Diamondman. You'll do great on the bike nd a 2 mile run won't kill your feet or legs.

I'm aiming for the Frederick women's sprint tri in late Sept…the date isn't set yet (last I checked anyway). Pool swim and flat bike and run so it should be perfect for a newbie like me.

Glad to hear your feet are improving!

4. Running Mama says:

Sorry, I'm horrible with decisions. Draw from a hat. :)

runningtobeskinny.com

5. I would go with wildwoods. Get aways are great, flat is better, and I am suck with delaying gratification so i always go with the first available event.

6. I say Tri the Wildwoods – I love tri's at the Jersey Shore! Any chance I can get to the beach – I'm there!

PS – this Columbia Tri will be my 3rd. It's a good race. Unfortunately, I was so focused on my May 1 marathon that I haven't done much time on the bike or in the pool. Whoops… :-)

7. Michelle says:

I'd love to hear what you are wearing in the pool for swim jog – I'm in the market for a belt.

#2 would appeal to me b/c it is within driving distance. Good luck!

8. or you could do steelman with me! august 7, i think?

9. free place to stay…i'd choose #3. and if it's a sprint, you'll still be fine for the relay.

we'll have to connect at a local race some time. i always forget that you're close by.

10. SeeAliEatSeeAliRun says:

Delaware! That way you won't feel pressure to do heavy mileage runs if recovery takes longer.
    You're going to do great whichever one you choose! Rock it!

11. TeamMancuso says:

Delaware!!!

12. Raquelita says:

I say Diamondman, as well. I would have gone with the Wildwoods, but since it's so close to your family vacation, it might actually create more stress.

13. I'll have to tell you about the time I almost moved to Delaware – and I'd never set foot in that state before (and unfortunately haven't ever) so I'd vote for Delaware :). Colorado has a ton, too – just saying :). Maybe we could do one together as our come-back race!!! YAY.

14. SupermomE12 says:

I vote for the first one… You definitely want more than a two mile run, and I wouldn't do a tri that close to Ragnar (unless you could do one or the other just for "fun" and take it easy).

I am so glad your feet are feeling better! :)

15. Jennifer says:

I go for number 2. My folks now live in DE, but also 16 miles will fly by! On top of that nothing like a day trip, so easy!

16. skoval21 says:

Hey since I live in DE and right by the race i could come give you a shout out!!! Best of luck!!

17. I'm not expert on tri's so honestly I wouldn't know. But I do think it's great that you can think about racing again.

18. All these tri reports def make it sound exciting! I wish I was a super-duper athlete and could do it! ;)

19. I say Sept 18th. :)

I don't like the 9/11 one to weirded out by that date.

20. The Hungry Runner Girl says:

I say let's find you one in Utah so that I can be your biggest cheerleader. I say number 1….I love weekend giveaways!!!!

21. Silly Girl Running says:

#3. +1 on what Emz said on that one! :)

22. I hope your feet get better soon! I love how you don't let anything get you down! =) Your amazing!

23. Richelle says:

I'm thinking the second or third one. Ragnar won't affect you too much. It will only take a couple days to catch up on your sleep.

24. lindsay says:

i am voting for the 2nd one, possibly the 3rd. but the 2nd because it seems to not be too close to other trips/vacations, and i know i personally can't be taking off from work all the time. (i forget if you work or are a SAHM? either of course, is perfectly fine) i, too, don't think the 3rd would affect the ragnar, but just the time away from family/home/work? may be tough to juggle.

25. Michael says:

They all sound great, but I vote for #2.

26. Allison says:

Tough choice! My vote is #1. Nice little trip for the fam. Big fan of that! Won't you be dealing with getting back into the swing of the new school year with the other ones? Boo.

27. Marissa says:

I have always wanted to do one of these…I think you'll pick the perfect race for YOU! Hmm and maybe give me the motivation to sign up and complete one myself :)

28. I vote for #2. Nothing like being put in a place outside of your comfort zone to push you to new heights.

29. track coach and adorable wife says:

The Marshman could be fun and you would get to see old friends! Jersey Shore could be dangerous, you never know if you might run into Snooki!

30. Black Knight says:

Glad that your feet feel better.
    Even if I am not a tri-expert I am for the n° 1.

31. I would go with Delaware to. I am so glad your feet are feeling better