A walk in the woods

A walk in the woods

If anyone knows who Bill Bryson is, you’ll know I stole that title from him. But it’s appropriate here, because the whole family took off for a great hike Saturday on the Appalachian Trail. We’re so lucky to live so close to it–we can be to various sections of it within an hour’s drive.

A walk in the woods

A walk in the woods
The view from the top

The section we hiked on Saturday was to Annapolis Rock, which gives spectacular views from the top. It was about five miles roundtrip and about the right level of difficulty for both kids. We met three through-hikers and had a chance to chat with them. Amazing people–these guys were doing four states and 45 miles that day. They had begun the trail in Georgia in late March. I have to admit, I’m a bit intrigued by the idea of doing the whole AT someday. Could be a bucket list item.

This was my first time trying my Merrell Pace Gloves for a hike and I have to say, I don’t know how I ever hiked in my old, stiff, clunky shoes! It was so nice to get the ground feel from the Pace Gloves. If you have the old kind of hiking shoes, I highly recommend pitching them in favor of something minimal!

A walk in the woods

Now, the flipside of the hike. It wasn’t my smartest move for healing feet. I went for about a 40-mile bike ride in the morning and then followed it up with the hike. As much as I enjoyed all the activity, my feet paid the price. I’ve got to reel myself in now or running won’t happen any time soon. I don’t regret this time with my family because it was a great day out there. But I guess intelligence when it comes to my feet, isn’t my strong suit.

Hope you had a great long weekend!

Comments

1. Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog says

What beautiful pictures! Looks like a great place to take a walk. Wow a forty mile bike ride! way to go!

2. Ewa says

If you ever do AT I'll join you.
    Merrell Gloves rock. I may still use them for our John Muir Trail. The boots I've been trying are just killing my feet. This weekend my toes baked in Keens in 55F weather.
    Love your pics.

3. Running Ricig says

Looks like an awesome time! I hiked in my vibrams this weekend and I had the exact same thought (how did I ever do this in boots??).

4. Marlene says

It looks beautiful out there – so nice to have that close to home for some exercise, great views and family quality time.

Hope your feet feel better!

5. Runblondie26 says

It awesome you have such a beautiful place like that right at your fingertips.

How were your calves feeling afterwards? was it hard on them not having a stiff shoe?

6. Raquelita says

Those views are gorgeous! It sounds like a great way to spend time with the fam! Hopefully, your feet feel better soon!

7. Kier says

You are so lucky to have such an amazing trail near by! I would love to hike the entire trail at some point in my life!

8. *~*~* Tracy says

I'm so sorry your feet aren't cooperating. So frustrating!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed a gorgeous hike. Annapolis Rock is one of my husband's favorite hikes.

He and I talk about hiking the AT when the kids are older. Definitely a bucket list item.

9. Matty O says

Love it. I told Heather we would never move unless we can match our Metro Park system. It is beautiful for hiking and exercising in!

10. Julie says

I love taking my kids on hikes. What is it about a little water and some rocks to throw in that water that makes every single kid happy?

I led some parent and kiddo hikes last year and the neighbor just came over the other day to ask if I'm doing it again so they can put the dates on their calendar. Guess I better get to planning!

11. SupermomE12 says

The pictures are great!
    I am sorry your feet are still bugging you though and sure hope they heal up soon. It is so hard to take it easy…

12. Tri-Living...Together says

I hear ya on the shoes! I actually hike in my VFFs and I ALWAYS get negative comments.. sigh.

13. Terzah says

I love the AT! I've only hiked small sections, but a through hike appeals to me too. Maybe someday when the kids are in high school….Really want a pair of those Merrells; trip to REI later?

14. Denise says

looks beautiful!! and feet injuries suck. it's not fair that you have to pay the price even after a fun day w/ the family.

oh, btw, i'm doing independence tri at lake nockamixon.

15. Jill says

Have you seen the Pace Gloves in the Mary Jane style? Soooo cute, but probably better for mall walking than forest walking. Such a pretty area you got to visit…and so sorry about your feet!!

16. Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner says

Beautiful! I live an hour from the start of the Appalachian in Georgia, and I love hiking there. It's definitely a dream of mine to spend a summer hiking the whole trail. One day!

17. Beth says

Ooh, that hike looks beautiful! I've been considering going minimalist for hiking shoes, but haven't broken down and bought the NB minimus trail yet. Maybe this weekend…

18. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

ohh i just love places like that. I would also really like to try hiking in some barefoot gear, i think that woudl be really cool

19. Fran says

Beautiful scenery, must have been a great hike!

You've asked if it's cold here. Well Saturday and Sunday it was. Saturday it felt like an Autumn day. Yesterday was a hot day and today it's a lot colder again. But better wetter is on the way. They predict a very dry month for June. So far we haven't had much rain and it's becoming a problem for the harvest here and for forest fires.

20. Aimee says

I am sooo jealous that you actually get to hike part of the Appalachian trail! One of the major things on my bucket list is to through hike the App. trail! Sigh…someday!

21. Kate says

That looks gorgeous! Lately I have been craving places like this. Trails and wooded areas are so serene and quiet — a great place to clear the mind. :)

22. The Green Girl says

Random story. A former coworker's dream was to hike the entire AT. He trained, prepared, quit his job, and headed back east to do it.

And then, somewhere along the way, he decided to stop and he never finished. No one ever heard why he changed his mind.

I was always so stumped by that.

23. ajh says

Sounds wonderful but yeah, super busy on your feet. I can see why you couldn't resist. It must be great having that access to the trail.

24. Richelle says

How fun that you are so close to the AT! I'd be hiking there a LOT if I lived that close.

Beautiful photos!

I've been wearing my Vibrams for short walks and errands. So has my fiance, although he wears his a lot more than I wear mine.

I hope your feet feel better soon!

25. Meg says

We saw those pace gloves this weekend at a store here in town. They are unreal!!
    I danced all night at a wedding barefoot when I first had my foot problem…NOT TOO SMART but it was so, so fun. I don't regret it at all but it did set me back a bit. I get what you're saying though, the time with the kids can never be replaced. Relish those moments, no regrets!!

26. Julie D. says

How great. Looks gorgeous. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to hike as a family and not whine every 2 steps. glad you had a great weekend.

27. MB says

I loved that book, especially the part where Bill's hiking partner started throwing out all their food because his pack was too heavy and he just needed to lighten the load. Hope your feet feel better soon. Maybe you should treat yourself to a good massage. ;)

28. Coy Martinez says

The ex governor of South Carolina has kinda messed up the Appalachian Trail for me. I've driven around it but never been hiking on it! I would love to go! I really want some of those Pace Gloves! Might have to wait till Christmas though! I loved trying them on!

29. Kim says

VERY COOL! I love, love love "A Walk In the Woods," I've been trying to get my husband to read it. I haven't really been out on the trail, but I hope to get out there eventually. Sigh… too much to do.

Trackbacks

1. […] we drove west to the Appalachian Trail to do a family hike. We did this same five-mileish hike last Memorial Day weekend and really enjoyed it, so I thought it would be fun to go back. Now, when […]