May madness

2011 calendar may May madness

It’s ironic to me that the month that, around here at least, offers some of the best weather is also the month that always threatens to be my undoing. Why is it that the schools want to jam pack every last activity in during these final weeks? Is there no way to spread it out a bit? An example–everything going on this coming week:

• A field trip to a local theater–could this not be a winter trip when we’re stuck indoors anyhow?
  • Field day
  • Staff appreciation week–or should I say STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK!!!!!!!! as the woman in charge is always compelled to write
  • I’m volunteering for one of these three events and have guilt for not helping at the other two–what’s up with that?
  • Let’s not forget that spring sports are also in full swing at this time of year
  • And, last but not least, Mr. Zippy has managed to schedule LOTS of travel this month

Damn top of foot pain–where’s running when I need it?

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

This is how i feel about work lately. No logic to scheduling extra things when the work load is at its heaviest. My mantra, "take one day at a time and repeat."

2. Rene' says

I am so with you….between mother's day teas ( i know so cute, but right in the middle of my Wednesday free day), 2 field trips, end of year projects and did I mention that the boys both play Lacrosse and they are on two different teams. As much as I love May I think that there is just to much to do. Good Luck!

3. Coy Martinez says

HAHAH! You have top of foot pain and I have bottom of foot pain! Hope it gets better. Running does seem to fix lots of things!

I'm with you on the kids stuff. I have three that go to two different schools and I always wonder about the brainchild that comes up with some of the planning. :)

4. Running Librarian says

Usually the kids are done with all the state tests when the school starts scheduling anything and everything just to have something different for the kids to do. Most of the time all the curriculum is finished being taught and the teachers are looking for fillers for the very end of the year.

5. Julie says

I feel like life is getting busier and busier each year and I see no end in sight. I purposefully try to not overbook our lives, but even this low key mama is feeling overwhelmed!

I'm ready for school to be out so we can at least sleep in :D

6. Julia says

ahhhh! totally feel you on this post. May is going to be CRAZY. and usually I feel like running helps decrease stress…but lately it has added more stress with all the pain I have been having. haha. come on summer!

7. Teamarcia says

Oh man I feel ya on this one. I am double and triple booked most days (including today) and so afraid I'm gonna drop the ball and forget something. SUCH a challenging time of year.
    Hang in there!

8. ajh says

First Staff Appreciation Week. I don't know what you do. If it is organized I am going to guess it is a lot. IMHO the best thing you can do is write a simple note to your child's teacher saying what you appreciate. That means more to me than anything. Just the acknowledgement.
    I am loving Modern Family. What a great way to relax to watch this very funny show!

9. Black Knight says

May is a nightmare for me too. I have to plan all the activity of the port for the high season.
    Theater I hate it but I must go every other saturday because my wife is a theater lover!!!! For instance now I would like to run but I cannot because there is a boring comedy.

10. Running Ricig says

which one are you volunteering for? I'd go for field day, that was always my favorite as a kid.

Hopefully some time off will get you going again!

11. Anabela (Bela) Neves says

I completely agree, it seems my daughters schedule is busier than mine. We also have first communion rehearsal (who knew you needed a rehearsal for that) and then the first communion itself in May. Lets not talk about June….its just as busy….got to love the end of the school year!

12. Michelle says

I hear you on this – I was just looking at the May calendar and wondering how we're going to get it all done! Hope your foot feels better soon.

13. Raquelita says

The first part of this month will be a nightmare. I will have about 130 final exams and papers to grade as they start coming in on Monday. Plus, there are last minute committee meetings and things to do before the end of the academic year. I'm really looking forward to the second part of the month, though when I can just focus on running, research, and writing for a while.

14. Molly says

the first week of May is always crazy for me. I have a Mother's Day Tea, Bookclub, Soccer Practice starts, My neighborhood garage sale, my son's birthday, his first soccer game, a family party for my son, then Mother's Day. Huh????

15. Penny says

I only have one child left in high school and he decided not to do track this spring so he could help his dad spray the fields. Which absolutely loves. So my May is not filled with kid things but planting crop stuff. But, I remember all to well how I did not know how I was going to get it all done and get everyone where they needed to go. Thank goodness I had family to help me.

Been thinking about you and praying that the top of your foot gets better soon. Stay positive.

16. Steel Springs says

Good luck! May was always really busy in our house, too, when I was growing up. I hope that foot pain goes away!

17. Fran says

Reading the title of your post I thought "Is she talking about me?" Tell me about May madness, it's busy here too.

Good luck with everything that's on your schedule.

18. Julie says

Hi Zippy,
    I know what it feels like to be freaking busy too!! Sometimes life gets crazy and it is so hard to balance everything. Cheers to May and getting through it:) Take care and I have missed you!

19. Terzah says

May madness here, too, and my kids aren't even out of preschool yet. We have STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK!!!! at school too and we're MOVING (caps are mine in this case) and my husband is going to FINLAND for a week at the end of the month. Hoping the fun summer we have planned will make all this worth it.

20. Terzah says

Got your comment about Finland. Wow, what company does your hubby work for? Mine is a physics PhD candidate at CU and there's some relevant conference there where he's giving a talk. I was going to go with him, but my ticket would have been (gasp) $2,000. So I'm home with the preschool brigade…sigh…maybe someday! Good luck with your crazy May. :^)

21. Johann says

Here in South Africa May is THE month for running as the Comrades Marathon is in May. Luckily the weeks leading up to it is all about cutback and taper.

22. Terzah says

Husband is going to some suburb of Helsinki–I can't recall the name right now, but I know there's some death metal band from there–that was the only distinguishing thing about it on Wikipedia.

He'll definitely do the sauna (and I will be jealous). I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Russia, which has a banya culture–very similar, and they often spoke about the famous Finnish saunas.

23. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says

Crazy fo' sho'. My job has been extremely busy lately and I am feeling overwhelmed as well. Put your head done and just push forward one day at a time!

24. cheryl says

Just think (like many of us moms) if you actually had to teach all day , and then run and THEN go to all the extra-curricular activities! (We do!)

25. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says

Wishing you serenity and sanity this month!! :) Top of the foot pain?! Oh no???

26. Jason says

I love KC's take on it. One day at at time, and don't feel guilty as you are only one person. There are others that can volunteer on those two days. You can only do so much.

Top of foot pain for the wife was just diagnosed as a possible stress fracture and she is wearing a boot now. Not good times around Casa De Baha right now.

27. Runblondie26 says

I keep thinking about all the free time I'm going to have once my daughter starts school. Thanks for crushing my daydream :P Every phase brings something new to the mix. I'm sure none of us would trade it for the world though.

28. Andrew Opala says

The desire to run usually provides the best "weather" to run for me.

… plus the desire to meet up with that guy inside who doesn't want to feel the pain!