Girls gone wild

Or not so much. This week is my kids’ spring break. Mr. Zippy had to do some travel this week, so I took them to a resort up in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. Kind of a different spring break than those of my college days. Let’s compare:

Then–Stayed up until all hours of the night hitting the bars.
Now–We were all in bed by 9:00.

Then–Was tired the next day because of all that late-night partying.
Now–Was tired the next day because I shared a bed with my perpetually-in-motion daughter.

Girls gone wild
Some of the scenery during my run.

Then–One and only day-time goal was to hit the beach and get a tan.
Now–One and only day-time goal was to get kids into a brief kids’ camp so that I could do a run.

Then–Ate the cheapest, crappiest food available.
Now–Comb over restaurant menus to find the healthiest choices.

Did I have fun in college? Yes. Would I trade today’s spring break for this one? Hell no.

Girls gone wild

A big congrats to all the fantastic runners who did Boston this year–lots of amazing performances!

Comments

1. Suzy says

We're on spring break too, but we're staying put. I have one of those 'perpetually-in-motion' daughters too. One of these days we're going to draw straws because no one really wants to share a bed with her.

2. Jogging with Fiction says

Sounds like an awesome spring break! I don't even have kids and your "now" spring break sounds way better to me now than the "then" one :)

3. Adrienne says

My experience exactly (minus the kiddos, that is!)!

Funny how the little things and moments now are so much more valuable:)

4. Jen says

I know… I ended up chasing them on their bikes while i run behind them in order to get my runs in this week.

5. *~* *~* Tracy says

Sounds like a fun trip and the scenery looks gorgeous.

I don't sleep well when Ella sleeps with us either. We tell her she's like a rotisserie chicken when she sleeps, continually turning.

6. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

Hi there!
    Look how cute you and the kids are;-) so sweet.

and I SOOOO hear ya on the now and then. loved the 'Then', but I Super love my 'Now'. ;)

7. Beth says

That looks fun! Crazy spring breaks were fun, but they got old before college was even over. I gues thats how you know you're not (under) 21 anymore….

8. Jen says

What a good mama you are! I'm glad you got your run in! And I can totally relate to the perpetually in motion child. How do they sleep with their feet on their pillows? That's one reason why I could never share a bed with my kids on a regular basis!

9. Amanda@runninghood says

How fun! We are traveling with my husband in San Fran this week…so different being on vacation then and now. Glad you got your run in. I was able to sneak off after dinner last night and experience running in San Fran…awesome!!

10. Joanne says

Oh those college days. You're so right – wouldn't exchange one of them. But what fun you're having with your kids. Lucky you. :)

11. Jill says

I love it when my daughter tells me how "old" and "boring" I am. She's 20! Haha. Glad you're having a great time. Got your email and will email you back tonight!!

12. Fair Weather Runner says

i don't have kids yet, but i know my vacations now are the antithesis of what they were in college :) have fun the rest of your break!

13. Momma K and her Krew says

I feel you sister. My oldest is on spring break and its only Wednesday and I am trying to make a break for it. My idea of party time now is a pee and a shower without an audience. Cant say that was exactly how I partited 10 years ago (<;

14. Jason says

Is it crazy to say that this weekend sounds so much more fun than the college weekend? I mean I had a blast in college as well but I guess times change and we adapt and love what we do now and don't regret what we used to do.

15. Penny says

We never did much on spring break when I was young. Now my boys are usually helping their dad on spring break. Look like to me you are having a great spring break with the kids. AWESOME. I love remembering all the things we did with the kids. Now that mine are getting older.

16. runningonwords says

I love the Laurel Highlands! I grew up not far from there and we used to go to Idlewild at least once a year. I'm a little jealous of your spring break.

17. Raquelita says

Hahaha! I love it! This weekend I was back in my old city and at a party at a friend's but I left at 10pm since I had a half-marathon to run in the morning. How priorities shift and change!

18. Kiley says

Love the THEN & NOW differences. What is with little kids being in constant motion when they share a bed with you?!

19. Chris K says

You can live your old crazy life vicariously through me.

Hey, did you get a haircut? Color too? Hmmmmmh

Did you get the MRI?

I ran a little barefoot today.

20. Molly says

HA! I shared a bed this week with both my kids, my lower back is still sore from little feet hitting it.

I came home to my water bottle, thanks again! : )

21. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says

This title made me laugh! I so agree with you here–at the time zero sleep and go-go-go was the norm. No thank you now!

Have a fab Spring Break!