Girls gone wild

Or not so much. This week is my kids’ spring break. Mr. Zippy had to do some travel this week, so I took them to a resort up in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. Kind of a different spring break than those of my college days. Let’s compare:

Then–Stayed up until all hours of the night hitting the bars.
Now–We were all in bed by 9:00.

Then–Was tired the next day because of all that late-night partying.
Now–Was tired the next day because I shared a bed with my perpetually-in-motion daughter.

Girls gone wild
Some of the scenery during my run.

Then–One and only day-time goal was to hit the beach and get a tan.
Now–One and only day-time goal was to get kids into a brief kids’ camp so that I could do a run.

Then–Ate the cheapest, crappiest food available.
Now–Comb over restaurant menus to find the healthiest choices.

Did I have fun in college? Yes. Would I trade today’s spring break for this one? Hell no.

Girls gone wild

A big congrats to all the fantastic runners who did Boston this year–lots of amazing performances!

pin it button Girls gone wild

Comments

1. I love your Spring break. Funny how we celebrate brakes differently at certain ages :)

2. We're on spring break too, but we're staying put. I have one of those 'perpetually-in-motion' daughters too. One of these days we're going to draw straws because no one really wants to share a bed with her.

3. BabyWeightMyFatAss says:

Before and Afters are so awesome. lol. Hope you have a great trip!

4. Jogging with Fiction says:

Sounds like an awesome spring break! I don't even have kids and your "now" spring break sounds way better to me now than the "then" one :)

5. Adrienne says:

My experience exactly (minus the kiddos, that is!)!

Funny how the little things and moments now are so much more valuable:)

6. Sounds good to me. Your comparisons are dead on funny.

7. I know… I ended up chasing them on their bikes while i run behind them in order to get my runs in this week.

8. *~* *~* Tracy says:

Sounds like a fun trip and the scenery looks gorgeous.

I don't sleep well when Ella sleeps with us either. We tell her she's like a rotisserie chicken when she sleeps, continually turning.

9. hahahaha too funny. Loved the side by side.

Keep up the good work with recovery :)

10. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says:

Hi there!
    Look how cute you and the kids are;-) so sweet.

and I SOOOO hear ya on the now and then. loved the 'Then', but I Super love my 'Now'. ;)

11. Teamarcia says:

I hope you're enjoying some nice weather during break!

12. That looks fun! Crazy spring breaks were fun, but they got old before college was even over. I gues thats how you know you're not (under) 21 anymore….

13. Now sounds much better than then :D
    Those kids are gorgeous! What great smiles!

14. What a good mama you are! I'm glad you got your run in! And I can totally relate to the perpetually in motion child. How do they sleep with their feet on their pillows? That's one reason why I could never share a bed with my kids on a regular basis!

15. Enjoy your break with your kids!

16. Sounds like your having fun!

17. Amanda@runninghood says:

How fun! We are traveling with my husband in San Fran this week…so different being on vacation then and now. Glad you got your run in. I was able to sneak off after dinner last night and experience running in San Fran…awesome!!

18. Oh those college days. You're so right – wouldn't exchange one of them. But what fun you're having with your kids. Lucky you. :)

19. Love this!!!

20. Nice post. I'm sure a lot of us parents really get the 'then and now' idea!

21. Your spring break sounds great, and that picture of the scenery on your run is gorgeous!

22. Shellyrm ~ just a country runner says:

Sounds to me like your Spring breaks have improved over the years! heeheehee

23. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I rather live how I do now then trade it back for college days

24. My how things change! Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

25. I love it when my daughter tells me how "old" and "boring" I am. She's 20! Haha. Glad you're having a great time. Got your email and will email you back tonight!!

26. Fair Weather Runner says:

i don't have kids yet, but i know my vacations now are the antithesis of what they were in college :) have fun the rest of your break!

27. Momma K and her Krew says:

I feel you sister. My oldest is on spring break and its only Wednesday and I am trying to make a break for it. My idea of party time now is a pee and a shower without an audience. Cant say that was exactly how I partited 10 years ago (<;

28. Is it crazy to say that this weekend sounds so much more fun than the college weekend? I mean I had a blast in college as well but I guess times change and we adapt and love what we do now and don't regret what we used to do.

29. We never did much on spring break when I was young. Now my boys are usually helping their dad on spring break. Look like to me you are having a great spring break with the kids. AWESOME. I love remembering all the things we did with the kids. Now that mine are getting older.

30. love the then and now. and yes, now IS better :)

31. runningonwords says:

I love the Laurel Highlands! I grew up not far from there and we used to go to Idlewild at least once a year. I'm a little jealous of your spring break.

32. Trail looks beautiful!

33. Raquelita says:

Hahaha! I love it! This weekend I was back in my old city and at a party at a friend's but I left at 10pm since I had a half-marathon to run in the morning. How priorities shift and change!

34. marathonmaiden says:

hahaha to those comparisons! sadly i did not get a spring break this year. bummer.

35. Richelle says:

Even now, at the "ripe old age" of 27, I'm noticing a shift in priorities. Your kids are cute!

36. Love the THEN & NOW differences. What is with little kids being in constant motion when they share a bed with you?!

37. You can live your old crazy life vicariously through me.

Hey, did you get a haircut? Color too? Hmmmmmh

Did you get the MRI?

I ran a little barefoot today.

38. sounds like a perfect little getaway! glad you had fun.

39. HA! I shared a bed this week with both my kids, my lower back is still sore from little feet hitting it.

I came home to my water bottle, thanks again! : )

40. Caratunk Girl says:

Funny how things change, right?

41. Loved this!

42. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

This title made me laugh! I so agree with you here–at the time zero sleep and go-go-go was the norm. No thank you now!

Have a fab Spring Break!

43. Black Knight says:

Beautiful scenery but … where is the trail to run through?
    I like the then and now.

44. Pretend this is real says:

Haha! Yeah. Spring breaks aren't quite what they used to be. Enjoy the Dr. Seuss!