About the AltG

I had many questions concerning the AltG, so here are some details about my new pal:

• What’s it feel like? Well, pretty much like running. You slide some neoprene shorts on that have a “halo” around them with a zipper on it. You zip into the unit and then you (or your PT if you are new to it like me) sets it for a certain percentage of your body weight. I’ve been running on it at about 85 percent of my body weight. It kind of lifts you up, but your feet are still hitting the treadmill. Then you just run like normal. It is HOT, I will tell you, a combination I think of the neoprene shorts, which go down to about your knees, and the curtain that surrounds you. No air flow going on.
  • Pace? Because you are not running at full weight, they have you run about 1 mile per hour faster than you normally would.
  • How often am I using it? Right now, just twice a week when I go in for PT, and even then, I’ve only run a mile and 1/2.
  • Who can use it? At this facility, the AltG is quite new, so it’s only patients for whom it is applicable. Eventually this facility will allow injured athletes to come in and pay a price to use it–I’m sure with some guidance.
  • A few even asked how something like this could benefit them. Well, unless you’re injured, I don’t think there is any reason to use an AltG. That is, unless you are an elite. My PT told me that some elites who might break down at 125 miles/week, for instance, use it to add extra mileage. So they might run 115 miles/week on the road, and then another 20 per week on the AltG. Jealous? I am!
  • Finally, a few of you asked about cost. I am fortunate that I have great insurance and my time on the unit is included in my rehab.
  • Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. I know I am very fortunate to have this at my disposal. Now if only I could get some miles in on the road. My PT wanted me to attempt one mile on Friday and then another today on the road. Tried it, still had pain. So? Not sure, but will be going in tomorrow to figure out the game plan. I hate my ITB.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

It's great that you have access to one, I have not seen any in my neck of the woods. Continued good luck in your healing!

2. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says

So glad your insurance covers this–I want you on the road to recovery the AltG sounds like a fabulous tool!

3. Terzah says

Hmmm, it sounds great except for the "hot" part (hate running hot!). The only time I ever wanted to use something like this is when I was pregnant, just so I could keep running. I hope it helps your recovery! It sounds like your insurance is nothing short of awesome.

4. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

That is a really cool contraption. Thanks for the details. I hope your ITB starts feeling better real soon.

5. amy says

Definitely jealous of that kind of high-mileage. It's great that you get to experience it, even though it's part of injury rehab. Sorry to hear the ITB still hurts but just being in PT is progress!

6. Terri says

I'm very glad you have this available during your healing, but I know you can't wait to get back in racing form. Sending healing thoughts!

7. Caratunk Girl says

That machine is cool, but I hate your ITB too. Stupid thing. I hope this therapy helps it. Fingers crossed for you.

8. Angie says

Wow you can run a entire mile per hour than you normally could?? That is soo cool!!! I really need try this out. Thanks for the post, I loved learning about it :)

9. Running and living says

The ALTG is great, but it does not beat road running, I agree. You are getting some good treatment now and will be on the road shortly! Good luck!

10. Cynthia O'H says

This sounds like such a great way to keep you running while under rehab. And, covered by insurance? Very fortunate indeed.

11. S Club Mama says

ok I'll have to come back to read what the heck an altG is…but I wanted to ask you to come by to enter my giveaway – Ryders and a Gu sample pack!

12. Fran says

That AltG looks definitely very cool but the first time I read about it I checked the price and boy, you really have to be an elite if you can pay that.

But I hope it's going to help you. Sorry to hear the run wasn't painfree. Hope you get a plan that's going to help you.

13. Barbie says

It looks and sounds absolutely awesome. I have my fingers and toes and legs, arms and eyes that it is working for you.

14. GoBigGreen says

Alter G is fantastic if you have an injury related to weight bearing. IF you have something that is biomechanical, ie imbalances causing soft tissue pain it is not quite as helpful unless you are also addressing those weaknesses. I know a pro Triathlete that has done some of his speedwork on it since he can run harder with less impact. It's a great tool, but i know the one at the clinic i go to was upwards of $35k. Yikes!
    Good luck hope you are doing well!