What’s in this tube?

Whats in this tube?

Could it be the magical pill that will make my ITBS go away? Sadly, no, but it does have some pretty cool contents.

The other day I received a package in the mail containing this tube from Outside PR. A letter told me that it was a new product from GU Energy and that there are only 26 tubes like in the world. Ok, I respond to that kind of buttering up! I couldn’t wait to try it out.

The product is called GU Brew electrolyte tablets. You simply drop a tablet into a water bottle and you get a drink with 320 mg of sodium and 55 mg of potassium. It’s sweetened with Stevia and only contains 10 calories. The sample I received contained the peach tea flavor.

I liked the flavor and like that it is sweetened with Stevia–I use this all the time in my coffee and tea. I have to say I wasn’t crazy about its effervescence, but I’m not a soda fan either, so that may be why.

Regardless, the tablets do provide a convenient way to take your show on the road and have hydration on hand quickly and easily. GU will be releasing the tablets to bike and outdoor specialty retailers in March. They’ll sell at $6.50 for a 12-serving tube and will be available in orange, lemon lime, and the peach tea flavors. Thank you Outside PR for including me in this opportunity!

Another fun thing that came my way this week was my listing as number two in Brokenhearted Runner’s list of top running blogs! He has put together a comprehensive list of some of the best in the business and I’m quite flattered to have been included. Go check it out–you’ll see plenty of familiar names there and maybe even learn of some you haven’t seen before.

So hey, I may not be running yet, but I had some excellent running-related paraphernalia come my way this week.

Comments

1. Jogging with Fiction says

The GU tablets sound so cool, but then again, I love anything that has to do with GU, they're awesome.

2. Barbie says

Congrats on having your name listed as a top running blogger – you deserve it.How do you get to try all these wonderful products?

3. Gracie (Complicated Day) says

Ok, NEED these tabs. I don't like high calorie drinks when all I want to do is replace electrolytes, and for me effervescence settles my stomach. Must have as soon as they're on the market!

4. Jason says

Good things happen to good people and you my friend are a good person. Glad to see that you are having a good week despite the ITB….

5. Average A says

Wow, how is it that I know 3 of the people who got those 26 tubes — you are all lucky! Yummy stuff, if it's anything like nuun — can't wait to give it a shot! :)

6. Jim ... 50after40 says

I'll have to try it … but is it fizzy after it's all disolved? Like while trying to use it during a run?

7. Anne says

You're such an amazing runner, it's not surprise you're one of the 26! How cool, when I went to check out the list of blogs I saw I was on there!

8. Laurie says

Wow, cool stuff! I love the top secret case the Gu came in. Good for you with the high ranking, you are quite deserving.

9. Kovas says

Wonder how they compare to Nuun, which is my go-to at this time. Congrats on getting all this stuff, maybe run less often? :)

10. Joanne says

Not a soda fan either but those GU tabs look interesting.
    Congrats on making the list! I think you have an excellent running blog as well. :)

11. amy says

If only there really was a magic pill! I haven't had much luck with the GU Brew powder, but I'll be curious to hear if it's any different. As for carrying it with you, I'm a big fan of putting a few Nuun tabs in a ziploc for mid-run refuel.

12. Dash says

Like Amy said, those look like the nuun tablets. I had some potty issues that I associated with the nuun, so I'd be interested in your review when you get back to running (which I hope is soon!)

13. Terri says

That sounds wonderful – I am not a fan of Gu gels but do like some of their other products, so I would definitely try this!

14. Jill says

Wow, there's so many products out there now. Good thing I'm not running much and in need of anything. :) I like the tube, though!

15. Marissa says

AWESOME blogs you have here :) Now following! My husband has signed up for his first half-marathon and me, my first sprint triathlon…so we could use all the coaching and motivation out there! I'll be checking your blogs often!!

16. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says

Hi there!
    Now that's fun to get! cool. it's so james bond of you and all;-)

is it like NUUN? sorta sounds like it?

chhers!

17. Running and living says

Yes, this sounds like Nuun, even the price will be the same! I can't wait to compare. I love Nuun but don't like that it is sweetened with Sorbitol. I prefer real sugar or stevia.

18. dannie chOOng says

hey hey, congrats for being nominated as one of the "Best Running Blogs 2011" hope to read many more of your fantastic running stories. sending you greetings from Malaysia…

19. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says

Thanks for sharing. I will keep my eyes out for this. I am always on the lookout for new things.

20. Tina @GottaRunNow says

The new Gu tabs sound like another good alternative for runners. Congrats on being included on the Best Running Blogs list!