What’s in this tube?

Whats in this tube?

Could it be the magical pill that will make my ITBS go away? Sadly, no, but it does have some pretty cool contents.

The other day I received a package in the mail containing this tube from Outside PR. A letter told me that it was a new product from GU Energy and that there are only 26 tubes like in the world. Ok, I respond to that kind of buttering up! I couldn’t wait to try it out.

The product is called GU Brew electrolyte tablets. You simply drop a tablet into a water bottle and you get a drink with 320 mg of sodium and 55 mg of potassium. It’s sweetened with Stevia and only contains 10 calories. The sample I received contained the peach tea flavor.

I liked the flavor and like that it is sweetened with Stevia–I use this all the time in my coffee and tea. I have to say I wasn’t crazy about its effervescence, but I’m not a soda fan either, so that may be why.

Regardless, the tablets do provide a convenient way to take your show on the road and have hydration on hand quickly and easily. GU will be releasing the tablets to bike and outdoor specialty retailers in March. They’ll sell at $6.50 for a 12-serving tube and will be available in orange, lemon lime, and the peach tea flavors. Thank you Outside PR for including me in this opportunity!

Another fun thing that came my way this week was my listing as number two in Brokenhearted Runner’s list of top running blogs! He has put together a comprehensive list of some of the best in the business and I’m quite flattered to have been included. Go check it out–you’ll see plenty of familiar names there and maybe even learn of some you haven’t seen before.

So hey, I may not be running yet, but I had some excellent running-related paraphernalia come my way this week.

pin it button Whats in this tube?

Comments

1. Teamarcia says:

Good stuff! Have a great weekend!

2. You may not be running right now, but you are amongst the best! Have a great weekend!

3. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Kinda like Nuuns, I wonder when they will hit the open market

4. JenniferLeah says:

Fun stuff. I heard the cool kids got some :)
    Congrats on the running blog nod–will check it out

5. Jogging with Fiction says:

The GU tablets sound so cool, but then again, I love anything that has to do with GU, they're awesome.

6. Not a big fizz fan either but love GU so I'd be up for checking it out when they hit the stores

7. Congrats on having your name listed as a top running blogger – you deserve it.How do you get to try all these wonderful products?

8. ShutUpandRun says:

I was one of the other 26 tubes!! Excited to try it out too.

9. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

You totally deserve the ranking! Love reading your posts!!!

10. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Ok, NEED these tabs. I don't like high calorie drinks when all I want to do is replace electrolytes, and for me effervescence settles my stomach. Must have as soon as they're on the market!

11. marathonmaiden says:

Yay for being sent stuff. Lucky you :)

12. Good things happen to good people and you my friend are a good person. Glad to see that you are having a good week despite the ITB….

13. You're a guinea pig!! Love it!

14. The new Gu stuff sounds alot like NUUN, which I love! It will be interesting to compare the two when it comes out.

15. Wow, how is it that I know 3 of the people who got those 26 tubes — you are all lucky! Yummy stuff, if it's anything like nuun — can't wait to give it a shot! :)

16. Julie @ Hotlegs Runner says:

You had me at GU! taht is awesome! I love fizzy drinks =)

17. I cant wait til these come to my running shop!

18. racing dawn says:

so fun to be the first to try! i tried some peach tea chomps and they were delish!

19. Jim ... 50after40 says:

I'll have to try it … but is it fizzy after it's all disolved? Like while trying to use it during a run?

20. You're such an amazing runner, it's not surprise you're one of the 26! How cool, when I went to check out the list of blogs I saw I was on there!

21. Congrats on the high ranking. I love the prototype packaging….makes it look so "skunk works" like.

22. Wow, cool stuff! I love the top secret case the Gu came in. Good for you with the high ranking, you are quite deserving.

23. Wonder how they compare to Nuun, which is my go-to at this time. Congrats on getting all this stuff, maybe run less often? :)

24. Mamarunsbarefoot says:

hmm they look interesting! I just started using Nuun..

25. Not a soda fan either but those GU tabs look interesting.
    Congrats on making the list! I think you have an excellent running blog as well. :)

26. That's so cool and totally a deserved second place on that list!

27. If only there really was a magic pill! I haven't had much luck with the GU Brew powder, but I'll be curious to hear if it's any different. As for carrying it with you, I'm a big fan of putting a few Nuun tabs in a ziploc for mid-run refuel.

28. Like Amy said, those look like the nuun tablets. I had some potty issues that I associated with the nuun, so I'd be interested in your review when you get back to running (which I hope is soon!)

29. That sounds wonderful – I am not a fan of Gu gels but do like some of their other products, so I would definitely try this!

30. Wow, there's so many products out there now. Good thing I'm not running much and in need of anything. :) I like the tube, though!

31. AWESOME blogs you have here :) Now following! My husband has signed up for his first half-marathon and me, my first sprint triathlon…so we could use all the coaching and motivation out there! I'll be checking your blogs often!!

32. Black Knight says:

Good and interesting stuff. Now there are a lot of good running products.

33. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says:

Hi there!
    Now that's fun to get! cool. it's so james bond of you and all;-)

is it like NUUN? sorta sounds like it?

chhers!

34. Running and living says:

Yes, this sounds like Nuun, even the price will be the same! I can't wait to compare. I love Nuun but don't like that it is sweetened with Sorbitol. I prefer real sugar or stevia.

35. 2 Slow 4 Boston says:

What happens if you swallow the pill whole? Party in your tummy while it dissolves!

36. dannie chOOng says:

hey hey, congrats for being nominated as one of the "Best Running Blogs 2011" hope to read many more of your fantastic running stories. sending you greetings from Malaysia…

37. Silly Girl Running says:

That sounds like a great product! :)

38. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says:

Thanks for sharing. I will keep my eyes out for this. I am always on the lookout for new things.

39. Very cool…deserved 'best running blog'. congrats. :)

40. Tina @GottaRunNow says:

The new Gu tabs sound like another good alternative for runners. Congrats on being included on the Best Running Blogs list!