Making Lemonade

So here I am in the winter of my discontent–not running, getting dumped on by snow (8 inches yesterday) and having the kids in school for all of one day this week. (Our school district calls off at the sight of snow). All this might just make me grumpy.

And it has, but I’m also trying–hard–to keep my chin up. And not throw things in the garage.

Making Lemonade

Making LemonadeSo this morning when I woke up, saw that my street was unplowed and that I could not get to the pool, I dug out my old cross-country skis. They’re ancient, not in very good shape, and don’t get much glide anymore. And yes, I look like a cow in these pants, which are also ancient–that was the style back then so please be quiet. But, the fat pants and the skis were worth it. They gave me a chance to exercise outside. This was SO nice after 5 weeks of indoor training! Check out some of the scenery along the way.

Making Lemonade

I took my winter wonderland approach a step further this afternoon, too. A group of us headed over to the local golf course for some sledding. I went down several times with my daughter, crashing every time. I was laughing my ass off, feeling like a kid. Well worth it.

I think I’m doing rather well, don’t you?

Comments

1. Jogging with Fiction says

That looks like so much fun! Way to get out there! We got 15 inches last night, so my workout today was shoveling for 2 hours straight.

2. Jim ... 50after40 says

Wow, the snow just won't let up in your neck of the woods. Great job on making the most of it, don't kill yourself on those skis!

3. Amanda@runninghood says

Oh and you look darn cute in those pants. I'm kind of jealous of the snow but not too much since i"m ready for summer. But seriously, we have not seen snow this winter. Growing up in Colorado, this is a little weird to me…almost like I didn't really have a winter. Just lots of rain!

4. Ewa says

Cross country skiing is great.
    Love your snowy world but I just don't get it how come you guys are getting all the water (in whatever form) that we Californians will desperately need during the summer to water our manicured lawns and golf courses.
    Those pants rock! :)

5. MCM Mama says

Great job! You should have seen me in my snow pants today. Waddle, waddle. But at least I got out and shoveled and played in the snow.

Glad you had a fun day.

6. Running and living says

Yay for embracing winter. I love Xcountry skiing but don't do much of it these days. But I do a ton of sledding and LOVE it! Yes, you are doing awesome!

7. Caroline says

Cross country skiing! my first love. I am Canadian you see, so there is that and hockey of course. I miss it soooo much! Good for you, yes you are doing well!!!

8. Michelle says

We got another 10 inches here and I'm trying hard not to complain. Used shoveling as my cross-training and then played in the snow with the kids and the dog. Glad you made the most of the day!

9. SupermomE12 says

You definitely have the right idea! It snows here from October through May most years, and the only way to not get depressed is to just go out in it like you did. :) Cross country skiing is a great exercise and sledding is so much fun. Running in it is kind of like running in sand though. :)

10. marathonmaiden says

yay for sledding. it always makes me feel like a kid again. but now i totally want REAL lemonade. thanks lady ;)

11. Molly says

that is awesome. What a great time! I live across the street from a golf course where I can ski, but STILL havent' had a chance to go!

12. The Enthusiast says

I'm loving the snow activities! I always have the best memories of being out and about in the snow, it's just a matter of getting myself out the door. Totally jealous of the skis, old or otherwise.

13. Beth says

That's great that you got the skis out! I think getting all of the equipment out is the hardest part. Sledding sounds fun, too!

14. Chris K says

I think you are doing rather awesome. Congrats for not kicking the dog or throwing a temper tantrum in your garage. Actually, I'm sure you would never kick your dog.

15. Liz says

i'm with ya…
    i made sure to get a run in (albeit on the treadmill) before the snow hit because i know i am not a nice person without running. :)

16. Fran says

I think you're doing great!

The scenery is definitely beautiful although I have to admit I'm so glad we had our share of snow in December and it's gone now and no sign that it's coming back. Today is a perfect day: sunny but cold.

17. Jennifer says

Cow pants look great on you and sledding sounds like a lot of fun. Used to do it all the time… All that snow, you have the patience of a saint!

18. Caratunk Girl says

I never thought about it until you wrote this – but last winter when I was injured, XC skiing helped me a ton. I think you are doing great. If you are going to get dumped on with snow and can't run…well, then go to plan B. I know it isn't that simple at all, but it will help with sanity. Good luck.

Thanks for the bumper sticker!! LOVE IT!

19. C2Iowa says

I also think that you are doing great. I do not have the coordination for skis – unless I am behind a boat. I prefer h20 skis. Good luck

20. Matty O says

Great job haha! Although, I Have a beef with the XC skiers on my trails. They pack the snow down and it takes an extra week for the snow on the trails to melt haha.

Enjoy life, that is why we are here.

21. Shellyrm ~ just a country runner says

I have always wanted to cross country ski! I think it would be great, old skis or not. Way to get out and enjoy that snow.

Kids make playing in the snow so much more fun. My little guy never gets cold. Never. I am still sore from playing/sledding/pulling for so long!

22. Jill says

I think you're doing VERY well.
    How's the ITB this past week, btw?

I know Denver gets these wicked freak storms now and then but you guys have had more than your fair share (didn't you have way too much snow last year, too?). Just please don't blow it this way, I'm enjoying running in shorts outside right now :).

23. Kate says

So happy you went sledding and laughed your ass off!
    I love sledding and haven't done it in YEARS! So much fun.

You sound like you are in good spirits. :) Have a wonderful weekend.

24. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says

That is full blown lemonade! :) I have yet to try x-country skiing but is looks like a great workout!

Are you Northeasterners surving?! The amount of snow is ridiculous!!!

25. Joanne says

You're doing great! C/C skiing isn't bad when the weather is perfect. It looks like it was a good day for it.
    We aren't getting that much snow. It keeps missing us. Yay!

26. Cynthia O'H says

I love cross-country and really wish that I had hills or trails around here to do it. With roads everywhere, it isn't much fun.

Tobogganning is always great – for young and younger!

27. Terri says

I have pants that are worse than that, and I love them because they are the warmest things ever. And they must be made of spider silk, or some other super fabric, because I've had them for years! Good for you for getting out there!