Rank this

I’m having a bit of insomnia right now. What woke me up? Pain in my leg from my damaged ITB. I threw the kids and the dog in the car today and drove six hours to my parents house for a visit. Driving irritates my ITB, so six hours didn’t do it any favors. But you see, it was important to visit my parents, both of whom have had major health issues over the past two years. My kids need to spend time with their grandparents.

The pain woke me up, but fretting about the longer term implications of this injury have been keeping me up–namely, where is this going to leave me for Boston. I’m really doubting that two weeks is going to do it for my leg.

And yet, what really keeps me up at night is the idea that in the grand scheme of things, my leg injury isn’t so important when I compare it to the big things some of my loved ones have been going through of late. Consider:

• A good friend lost her mom this morning
  • Another is losing both her mom and her father-in -law to cancer right now
  • Another friend was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer. This is after her husband received a bone marrow transplant last August to battle leukemia.
  • I have a brother-in-law who was treated for a rare form of cancer more than two years ago who has had nothing but one health problem after another ever since.

Where does my leg injury and layoff from running rank compared to all this? That’s right, at the very bottom. Sometimes a little perspective is in order.

Comments

1. Amanda@runninghood says

Love your outlook on things! Thank you. It really is all about perspective. So many blessings to count instead of the things that we are bummed about! Thinking of you and your ITB…it is still a big deal even though others have way bigger deals.

2. racing dawn says

It's important to look at the big picture every once in awhile. Life sure does humble us pretty quick. It's hard to hear about those things with your family… wishing them easier days and recovery, as well as you with you and your leg, even if it is at the bottom of the list. :)

3. Bethany + Ryan says

It's good that you are looking at the bigger picture but to you, running is more than running, i get that. Wow, sucks about all your friends/family. :-( I hope you don't lose to much sleep about your leg, Boston is still really far away, you've got plenty of time. especially coming from a runner like you. i mean, worst case scenario, even if you didn't start training til Feb 1st you'd still run a kick-ass time. but i'm sure you'll start training before that. sounds like your fitness is right where it needs to be even without the running. hang in there!

4. TRI-james says

I turn to running to solve problems not create them. Running has saved me twice! I hope you get better soon and I look forward to seeing you in Boston.

5. Running and living says

Yes, perspective can help. But this still sucks for you right now! You have plenty of time for Boston, you have a great base from your previous marathon. Strech, ice, and know that you'll be back on the road in no time!

6. Jogging with Fiction says

It's definitely important to find perspective, but I also think it's important to acknowledge what is happening in your life as important too.

7. Kovas Palubinskas says

Hope your leg heals in time, I know Boston is imprtant to you. Good job keeping a healthy perspective, though, that's really important!

8. C2Iowa says

Perspective. That is what keeps us grounded in this world. Best wishes and prayers to your friends. May your leg heal quickly. Peace and Godspeed.

9. Colleen says

I just want to send you a big ((HUG)). I know it's good to keep things in perspective, but at the same time, what's keeping your leg at the bottom of the "important" list sucks! Keep resting it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it heals quickly!

10. ShutUpandRun says

Thanks. I needed to hear this. Easy to get out so caught up in ourselves and our journey (talking about me here). Yes, there are bigger fish to fry. Here's hoping that leg behaves. See ya in Boston

11. Wifey says

Perspective is always important and humbling. Things could always be worse, but what's going on with you still matters. Its still difficult, but it always helps to count your blessings.

Sending thoughts and prayers for all of your friends and family you mentioned above.

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

12. Lee says

I have IT Band issues too. It's also a 6hr. drive for me to visit my parents and it always aggravates me then. The big picture does put it into perspective, but still….
    I use a Dr. Ho machine sometimes, seems to help.

13. Mamarunsbarefoot says

I totally agree with perspective. BUT your goals are important and what you are striving for is at risk, that has meaning to you. NO your not dying and yes in the big picture it is small, but you do have every right to be frustrated!!

14. Happy Feet 26.2 says

We are so fortunate to be able to do what we do. I'm so thankful for each and EVERY day I can go for a run. Many can not!

Yes, you do have time. Keep up that cross training, and you can still pull out a good Boston race.

15. Jason says

Perspective is what it's all about and for me and I'm sure you running helps you to put life in perspective. Yes we run and train to compete and we measure our own success by that but it is also the GREAT THERAPIST.

I hope that the leg heals up for you in time for Boston and you can dedicate that race to those that have been stricken with cancer.

16. Julie says

I do SO hope that your IT band issues settle soon!!!

I had the same type of slap in the face this weekend when I was complaining to my mom about how my sore throat kind of took over everything this holiday season. Then I realized I was talking to someone who is battling extreme bone pain and fatigue and chemo side effects every single day.

Perspective. Like Wifey said above – it's humbling.

17. Caratunk Girl says

I hope your injury heals soon, it sounds like it is a pretty nasty one. So sorry for that.

It is true, perspective changes things…I often say when I have a problem with (fill in the blank) that it is a hangnail compared to what some people go through.

18. Runners Fuel says

I have to remember that, too. It always seems like the worst thing tht would ever happen, but when you look at others that are going through a lot worst, you have to remind yourself (and me) that it's not so bad when thinking of others. I do the same thing.

19. Tim Wilson says

Thanks for helping me put my little stupid things into perspective. Too often we focus on the bad parts of life and forget how well we do have things.

20. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

while I know that our injuries are nothing in the grand scheme, they also prevent us from our natural mechanism of dealing with all those other things. Everyone's struggles are different so how important it is can be relative to where we are

21. Kate says

You are COMPLETELY right. When I remind myself of "real" issues, I feel awful for all of the whining and complaining I do when I am injured. A little perspective is always good.

Great post!

22. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says

Perspective. Wow. Though the ITB injury is real and ever present, it doesn't seem so bad–though I really hope you recover fast and eliminate that pain.

Hate the "C" word–it affects too many.

23. LMC says

Oh how perspective matters! I'm sorry you are dealing with so much right now. I do think you're running will get back to normal and that you'll run Boston next year. I'm sending many positive thoughts your way for a speedy and complete recovery!!

24. La Historiadora de Moda says

This morning I whined on twitter that I was sore from a yoga practice yesterday, but that is nothing compared to your IT band issues and even less compared to cancer and other serious illnesses. Thanks for the reminder to keep things in perspective.

25. Michelle says

It's so very easy to get caught up in our own stuff…thanks for the reminder.

Still…running Boston is important to you so I hope your ITB cooperates soon!

26. J says

So true. I recently had a co worker hit by a car and leave behind 8 children and his wife. Just kind of puts everything in perspective.

27. Pretend this is real says

Perspective is a good thing. It can also be a good reminder to be grateful for our health and do our best to take care of ourselves and our family.

28. Mike Russell says

Perspective is good to have. Losing people anything is always a tragedy. It does help us keep in mind where training issues rank when it comes down to it.

29. Detroit Runner says

We all need perspective in our lifes. Good luck on the IT Band repair. I hate my IT Band. I wish it could just be removed. Do we really need it?

30. ajh says

You are so right! I try to think this way at times too. Our problems are important but we are also very lucky in so many ways.

31. Cynthia O'H says

Every now and then, we just have to take a look at where we are and what is surrounding us. Perspective is important.
    Sorry your ITB is still causing you grief. I have a terrible time with my leg and driving too; I hate driving to races because of it. Hopefully, you can take more breaks on the drive home.

32. Chris K says

I took a Leadership class once and The Facilitator was awesome. I was mesmerized. During the class the guy says, "Who wants to know the secret to leading a happy life"? Well, who woundn't, right? He said, "It's simple, be grateful".

33. Beginner Tri Baby says

Great post. As others have already commented cancer really sucks! Our injuries and illnesses during our running lives really sucks too but in the grand scheme of things mean very little. Get those kiddos to their grandparents you have the right perspective even if it causes you pain. Thank You!

34. Beth says

I hear what you are saying and I know you have your priorities straight. Having been diagnosed with cancer a few months ago, I can tell you that, while it does put things into perspective, it doesn't make running any less important in my life. When you are injured and you can't do what you are passionate about, it's a serious thing. I guess I'm saying- don't feel guilty about being bummed about being hurt. Passions are important and are a part of what makes living worthwhile. I hope that makes sense. :)

35. That Pink Girl says

Love, love, LOVE this! You are SO right. It is so easy to get caught up in our training and focus on our injuries…when really, it is nothing. So we can't run for a few weeks? There are so many that would give so much just to be half as healthy as we are on our worst days of injury.
    Thank you for the great reminder!

36. Silly Girl Running says

I agree! This truly puts things in perspective. You're right. The leg sucks, it does. And mentally it's hard. But, fortunately, it really isn't the worst that could happen, and you will battle this injury and come back a stronger runner!

37. Fran says

I agree there are worse things than a leg injury but this is your leg injury and it's bothering you and it's okay that you're pissed off about it.

You sure have a lot of people around you that are sick, must be hard on you. Wish you strenght for that.

38. Terri says

I am so sorry for all the misfortune your friends and family are suffering – it is important to keep things in perspective, isn't it?

39. lindsay says

We can certainly get things out perspective at times. It's easy to get comfortable and take our cushy lifestyles for granted!

40. *~* *~* Tracy says

This is so timely. I was thinking just this morning how my injured hip is nothing. I have friends who are camped out in an ICU with their teenage daughter who had a stroke 2 weeks ago.

It really is all about perspective.

41. Julie D. says

such a great reminder. seriously, i HATE cancer. It is ridiculous the number of people around me that are affected by it. Praying for your friends and that your ITB can be back to normal soon!! I so understand your frustration. In comparison, life is so much bigger than our running issues but it does effect our day to day and its okay to be fully ticked and bummed about it!! I think you said you were doing some ART therapy. Hope it is successful. I'm seeing slow but sure progress with it.