I may have a new BFF

No, it’s not Chris K., in spite of the fact that he DID finally run in the rain. He of sunny southern California finally understands that he won’t melt. You can go to his site and see the proof, provided kindly by Meg.

graston1 I may have a new BFF

So yes, Chris’s stock has gone up in my book, but it’s a set of metal instruments that’s moved into the BFF position. They’re called Graston tools and I’m putting some hope in their ability to help my ITB.

I’d heard from a few people that Graston was what got them over the hump with ITB. I’d also heard it was extremely painful and that you can’t really run while being treated. Well, I’m not running anyhow and I was born with a high pain tolerance, so I asked my chiropractor about them last night. He obliged me with a short treatment. He took one of the smaller tools and repeatedly scraped my leg at the area of the attachment near my knee. The idea is to break up the adhesions there and induce a bit of inflammation. So no icing until later today–that inflammation will actually help speed the healing. I didn’t find it all that painful, but apparently the treatments progress in intensity each time you go, so next time might be worse.

I know it may not be a cure all, but right now, I’m willing to try just about anything to get back on the road. I’ll keep you posted.

pin it button I may have a new BFF

Comments

1. You are hard core! Good luck!! I would try it too!

2. Those look scary! But on the flip side if they do the job then woo hoo! Good luck with the new treatment and Happy New Year!

3. Ok, that looks seriously medieval. But, if it works… yeah, no. You are way tougher than I am! :)

4. Those seriously look like instruments of torture! But I don't blame you – ITB sucks so it's worth it to try anything to get back out there! Hope it helps!!

5. I love the Graston Technique….well….I found it excruciating but it really really really helped with my ITB and shin splints.

6. a friend of mine has had success with the graston tech, hope it works for you!!! Happy New Year! : )

7. Hope the treatment helps! ITB can be so tricky!

8. I really hope this helps you! I've heard horror stories about the pain, but I've never heard of it not working!

9. This sounds just like the twisted, sick, torture devise lizardruns chiropractor was using on her last year. She said it hurt like %&(^*%%$%, but it did help. Good luck, I hope that it works for you, it's amazing the pain we runners will go through to run without pain again. hmmm…. :) Happy New Year Miss Z! Hope to finally meet you at race in 2011!

10. Good Luck! Happy New pain-free Year to you my dear! :)

11. My sports chiro, Dr. Miracle Worker, did Graston on me for my tibialis and IT afflictions. It was part of a larger tx plan but it worked like a freaking charm. Glad you are benefitting from it!

12. Mamarunsbarefoot says:

OUCH!! That didn't hurt??? Happy New Year and I really hope this heals quickly for you so you can get back to what you love to do!!!

13. I hope it does work for you! Fingers crossed here.

Happy new year Misszippy, the only thing I wish for you right now in 2011 is that you will be running again soon.

14. Of course I can't be your new BFF cuz I'm your old BFF.

That treatment reminds me of the one of the best movie lines ever…in Pulp Fiction when Samuel L. Jackson says, "I'm gonna get medieval on your a@@".

15. Adhesions suck! I have them on my achilles and when my chiro and massage therapist would work them I would scream out the F word every once in a while. And I'm not an F word kinda girl.

Good luck with treatment, I'm sure it will help!

16. La Historiadora de Moda says:

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it works for you! Happy New Year!

17. Detroit Runner says:

Good luck. I hope it works. I hate ITB pain. The foam roller seems to have worked for me but we'll see when I get into longer mileage.

18. MissZ….here is to new treatments to get you back on the right course. It may hurt but isn't everything we love worth a little bit of pain so we can enjoy it more?

Good luck with it and here is to a healthy start to 2011 that also ends healthy.

19. Looks scary but hope it helps!

20. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Hey, whatever works.

21. middleagedrunner says:

Hello! Thanks so much for following my blog- I'm excited to read yours, it looks excellent (and informative!)
    I'm middle aged in the true sense of the word- older than some, younger than some. In the MIDDLE! (and some days because I feel middle aged….)

22. This is interesting, I had not heard of it before. I hope it is the missing link for you!

23. Oh, yes. I know what those are. I haven't had to endure those treatments myself but I have certainly heard how god-awful they are. You definitely have a high pain tolerance! Holy cow. It just looks (and sounds) so scary to me.

Here is to hoping this is the answer and you'll be feeling better in no time! Let's toast to a healthy, injury-free 2011 (for the both of us)!

24. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

Good thing you were born with high pain tolerance!! Dang girl!! I hope this treatment continues to help you!!!

25. The tools look as if they come straight from a horror movie but if they can do the trick it's great! I really hope you get the ITB sorted soon. All the best for a wonderful 2011!

26. Those tools just look painful!! Good luck with that!

27. Cynthia O'H says:

That sounds painful. I was already grimacing when my chiro. was just using his hands on my ITB; I don't want to imagine what you are going through.
    But, I really hope that it works for you.
    Happy New Year!

28. Hey, I would try anything as well. What's a little pain for our favorite sport/obsession?
    Did you read Chris' comment? Midevil? He is such a chicken…

29. Leah @ Chasing Atalanta says:

I completely understand your willingness to do anything to get back to running (from the girl who recently posted a pic of needles sticking out of her foot), which is why I can look at those sinister looking tools, nod and smile and say "I get it."

Incidentally, you don't happen to know if they work for PF do you?

30. The Hungry Runner Girl says:

WOW!! Seriously, I am the same way and will do anything to get back out there when I am injured. Keep us updated and I am hoping so so bad that it is working!

31. Sounds similar to the ASTYM technique, which works, but hurts like heck. The logic makes sense…break up the built up scare tissue and it re-heals itself…correctly. It helped my IT issues and it'll help yours too. Make sure you do the hip/glute strengthening exercises too.

32. They look like torture devices or the kit of a serial murderer. I hope they give you a good result.

33. Amanda@runninghood says:

Yes yes yes! I'm sure with as many followers as you have, you probably have not read much of my blog but I've written about the graston technique quite a bit. It has done wonders for me with my hamstring injury. My chiropractor is a national presenter about this technique and he does a great job at torturing me! I always leave with plenty of bruising and pain! :) He is also huge on Kinesio Tape…this has been another one of my saving graces. I don't run without it!

34. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

OMG that looks painful. I hope it helps!

35. Good luck with the torture! I have heard that it really works and hope that it works for you, too. It's a great time of year to heal up and get ready for next season. Happy New Year!

36. OK, that sounds soooooooo painful – but your one tough cookie. I really hope it works for you. Happy New Year :)

37. This treatment is definitely worth a try and I sure hope it works for you! I hope the new year brings you fast and complete heeling!!

38. Pretend this is real says:

Hope that works. Happy New Year!

39. Just looking at that picture makes me scared. You are one tough cookie. Hope it works fast for you.

40. minus the whole not-running thing, i think i would love that. should i have just admitted that? :) i hope it helps!!

41. Black Knight says:

If it works it is good even if I don't trust the quote "no pain no gain".
    Good luck and happy new year.

42. For a minute there, I thought you had a scalpel and I was going to ask if I could borrow it to cut off my heel! :)

Ah, from one injured soul to another, I hope this is the magic cure!!

Happy New Year – hope that ITB heals up quickly and your back on the road to Boston training!

43. OK, I'm officially a punk. The thought scares me, but good for you – smiles! Hope it works and you're feeling better soon.

Happy New Year!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

44. Those look like torture devices!!! I hope it helps.

45. Graston is on my list of things to try if I run into a wall with this ART stuff. Slow but sure… Good luck.

46. Quinton J says:

Hang in there. I had that treatment and it (along with the strengthening and the stretching seemed to work). You’ll be back out there in no time.

Also…Julie’s lying…she’s TOTALLY and F-Word kinda’ girl.