Am I having fun yet?

A decided NO! But before I begin my whine session, I do want to say I hope everyone has enjoyed a little holiday cheer these past few days! I know we did around the Zippy household.

Four days into my cross-training extravaganza and I’m not enjoying it. Let’s review the past few days workouts:

• Thursday–2,000-yd. swim followed by 30 minutes of water running
  • Friday–90 minutes on the trainer
  • Saturday–One hour on the trainer, including 45 minutes of a Spinervals DVD (No Slackers Allowed, where I get to work out with my 32-yr. old self).
  • Today–2,300-yrd. swim followed by 30 minutes of water running
 Am I having fun yet?

All this cross-training has served to reinforce to me that I am happier as a runner than as a triathlete. I  don’t mind the bike so much if I’m on the road. But on a trainer? I keep thinking of Caratunk Girl and her epic 8-hr. trainer session last year. Serious mental toughness. Swimming–I usually do two 2,000-yd. sessions per week anyhow. I like it, like what it does for my tight running muscles, but do I want to swim more than that? No. And don’t even get me started on the tedium that is water running. Beth, I take my hat off to you. Dash, even more–you do this regularly, by choice!

I feel like the time off running has progressed my leg a bit, but not where it needs to be yet. I had my first pain-free night of sleep last night, so that’s a small victory. But I can still feel tightness in my right leg. My hope is that by one week off running, all pain/tightness will be gone, and then I can continue to rest it for one more week. I haven’t even done any lower-body strength work in almost a week, because some of the exercises I was doing were definitely aggravating my condition.

Yes, I can make it two weeks and not go crazy, or even get all that cranky (my husband might beg to differ). If I get to that two-week point, though, and I’m not healed, all bets are off. My sanity will definitely be in question!

Comments

1. Mamarunsbarefoot says

I agree, I am a swimmer and I have a tri bike. I still always feel the best when I'm running. Happy healing!!

2. Wifey says

You should have your husband post on whether you're sane after the two weeks – tee hee hee!

Hang in there! Hope you had a great Christmas!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

3. Julie @ Hotlegs Runner says

I think I can do the trainer for hours IF I'm in front of the TV and watching something interesting. ;p

Hang in there! =)

4. Amanda@runninghood says

Funny how the true test of how we are doing with our time away from our passions is to ask our significant other and our family. :) My husband is definitely happier now that I am running again. :) Hang in there…thinking of you. And Wow, there are a lot of you meeting up in Boston…so jealous! wish I was going to be there too.

5. Detroit Runner says

Get better soon. I'm with you, I've got to be outside crosstraining. I HATE doing the bike inside but here I have no choice.

6. Teamarcia says

Glad to hear the Zippy family festivities were enjoyable. Just think of all this XT as character building. It sucks but it'll payoff in the long run. Hang in there!

7. Katie says

again, sending healing thoughts your way. it's definitely tough to spend that much time on a bike or in the water. think of all the mental toughness you are building!

8. ShutUpandRun says

Hang in there. It stinks. I would rather run than anything also. Patience, patience. Your body will love you for it.

9. Christina says

Aqua jogging is terribly boring. I would wear a visor, clip my shuffle onto it, then plug in earphones and "run" away in the water. It helped. I also timed myself to see my times across. That helped too making myself competitive with myself.

10. Jason says

Hang in there. Get that leg healthy and do your best to stay as sane as possible. It isn't easy but nothing worth doing is.

Happy to hear the Zippy's had a great holiday.

11. Chris K says

Light cannot exist without the presence of darkness. Sounds like it's working, so stay strong. These two weeks will only make you feel that much better when you do run Boston.

12. Running and living says

Sorry about the ITB. It is such a frustrating injury! Rest it well, strech it well, and you'll be running in no time! Water running is horrible – I tried it once and gave up.

13. That Pink Girl says

Water running. Everyone is doing it these days. I've got to try this – can't be anything but good for my wonky hip and knee. I'm so impressed at your dedication to cross training. Way to go!

14. Caratunk Girl says

Hey – Thanks for reminding me of my insanity!! ha ha Seriously, though, those 8 hours included 1 nap and one FULL bag of Milano cookies…Just to prove I am an idiot, I am signing up again.

Seriously, hang in there. I know it must be driving you crazy, when I couldn't run last spring and had to bike and swim more, it actually made my running a little better. I hope you heal quickly.

15. MCM Mama says

Oy, you have my sympathy. I took two weeks completely off from running and then started back really slowly. I seriously thought my head was going to pop off and I pretty sure Beer Geek would agree.

Hang in there! Hope you heal quickly!

16. Adrienne says

Ugh! XT can be a beast-but at least it can fend off the activity withdrawl! I pretend I'm somewhere tropical when sporting the buoyancy belt:) Doesn't always work, but can pass the time!

Heal quickly!

17. Cynthia O'H says

When I was off for a few months, the more I cross-trained, the easier it became and the sweeter running was after.
    Sending healing vibes your way.

18. Silly Girl Running says

Even though I kind of fell in love with swimming due to al the cross training, I still prefer running. I'd take running over swimming any day. But your right about the swimming: I truly feel it helps the tightness in my legs!

19. Kate says

I spent 6 weeks in the pool (and I am a terrible swimmer) with my stress fracture. I hated every second of it. I know that sounds awful but I am being honest. My flotation belt never worked and always ended up around my chest, so water running was a huge pain in the a**. You'll be done with this before you know it.

20. Dash says

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, we both know you'll be back at it quicker once the pain goes away, but it's misery when it's forced!! The pool definitely gets better if you have a pal. Maybe you can get some of your friends to take turns taking a day and pool run with you? It def won't hurt them and it will pre-occupy you in the pool. It goes by so much quicker when you have someone to chat with! Good luck, I know you'll be ZIPing down the streets soon! ;)

21. Black Knight says

I think you have to find fun in every activity. Better the cross training than nothing. Thanks to it you can stay in shape and you are always ready to begin a new training program of your favorite sport. Best wishes for a fast recover.

22. Fran says

I agree, I love running more than other workouts although Pilates is fun too. But weight training I do only because I know it's good for me.

Hang in there, you're almost halfway through your rest period.

23. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

any chance you have been to the chiro already? i keep finding that when I go and do accupuncture a lot what has been a long term issue starts to heal up very quickly.

way to go on getting in the cross training!

24. Amanda@runninghood says

Thanks for the Garmin Comment. I'll have to check out that book of yours. Also, I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not a Garmin runner either. Up until now, I've done just fine with just my running shoes and an open road (oh, and I put clothes on sometimes too). :)

25. Meg says

The first week is ALWAYS the worst, hang in there. I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss water running.
    I also agree with Amanda, acupuncture has really helped my IT band in the past but hey, you've got it down and rest is always a good thing!
    Thanks for your advice via email! I found a shock wave therapy doc here in town but it's $5,000!!! There is a slim, very, very slim, chance that I can get insurance to pay for it. Wouldn't that be something! If not, I'm okay, I'm just starting back slowly.
    Keep up the awesome cross training, you won't regret it!!

26. Jill says

If anyone can overcome this nagging ache, it will be you! You persevere all these aiments each time and I know you will again – hang in there. And 2000yd 2x/week? Gwaaaa, I get to a mile and have to surrender – and I used to be a collegiate swimmer. HATE IT! I should look into a waterproof radio, I bet I could handle it longer if I wasn't counting pool tiles on the bottom of the pool over and over! Good job with the swimming!

27. The Hungry Runner Girl says

I totally agree…..running is so much more fun than triathalons! 8 hours on a trainer holy cow! Keep us updated and get through these weeks…believe me it is so worth it no matter how bad cross training is.