What’s better than your own PR? (and Tytenz winners)

Whats better than your own PR? (and Tytenz winners)

What’s better than your own PR? Your child’s, of course! Yesterday I paced my son through the local Turkey Trot 5k. Before we started he told me he wanted a 26:30, which would have taken about a minute off his PR. He told me, “Daddy thinks I can do a 25, but I’m not so sure.”

Well, I was pretty sure he could do that 25 also, but I kept my mouth shut. The course didn’t have mile markers at all, and I was only wearing my Timex, so we were going on feel. But I have a pretty accurate internal clock and it felt like we were doing low 8s. My son was doing great, working hard, but handling the pace just fine. When we turned the final corner, it looked like we had about 1/4 mile to go. I knew he could do sub-26 at that point and told him so. He kicked it in and ran his way to a 25:42. I was so proud of how well he ran!

It was a fairly small race, so I wasn’t sure what the age groups would be for him (he’s 9). When they announced the awards, sure enough, he was 3rd in the 12 and unders. That scored him a pie for our Thanksgiving meal–he chose pineapple, which sounds gross, but was actually quite good. It was a great start to the day!

And now to the winners of the Tytenz gear belts. Random.org selected numbers 30 and 68, so Tricia, of Endurance Isn’t Only Physical, and Historiodora on the Run are my two winners. Email me your addresses and preference on the belt and I’ll get them out to you. Congratulations!

Comments

1. Gracie (Complicated Day) says

What a great Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for mothersm like yourself who promote fitness as a fun pastime to their children. Our kids are in a sad state of inactivity. Every time I see the NFL's "Go 60" commercials (promoting 60 minutes of play time a day) I am appalled. When I was a kid, you didn't have to force me to play outside – it was just the opposite! Our parents would have to call my friends and I in to bed 3 or 4 times (with threats!) before we'd drop our game of kickball or football and reluctantly head inside. I wish we could return to that. You've got yours on the right path!

2. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says

Awesome! Congrats to your son! And pineapple pie? hmmmm? Sounds different but yet interesting at the same time?

3. Laurie says

Wow, that's so cool! Congrats to your son!! I'm with you on the pineapple pie sounding gross… I'm very curious though now, I'll have to try some.

4. Lisa says

That's so great! Congrats to your son on a great race! Definitely a wonderful way to start off Thanksgiving!

There were a lot of kids running the Turkey Trot we did yesterday. It was my first turkey trot and I loved seeing all the kids out there with their parents, what a great tradition!

5. Average A says

Hey, MissZippy! If I had known Magdalena was goingoot be there, I would have pushed my way to the front to steal some pics and autographs! Arg! Oh well… maybe next year. :)

And I think I'm with you — if there were more XC races, I'd definitely look into getting a pair of XC shoes and I would 100% sign up for more! It was really hard but also so much fun.

Congrats to your son, by the way! So awesome about the pineapple pie! :) What a great holiday you two had. :)

xoxo,
    A

6. barefootjosh says

Look at you, corrupting the minds of the youth. All this running is going to cut in on his couch potato development.

7. The Hungry Runner Girl says

Tell your son congrats!! That is so awesome. Wow, I wish I started racing when I was 9.
    Pineapple pie sounds delicious to me:)

8. Meg says

Kids and running…there's nothing better! I really get a kick out of watching them cross the finish line, they always look liked they worked harder than anyone else out there! Thanks for sharing, this is so sweet.