What’s better than your own PR? (and Tytenz winners)

Whats better than your own PR? (and Tytenz winners)

What’s better than your own PR? Your child’s, of course! Yesterday I paced my son through the local Turkey Trot 5k. Before we started he told me he wanted a 26:30, which would have taken about a minute off his PR. He told me, “Daddy thinks I can do a 25, but I’m not so sure.”

Well, I was pretty sure he could do that 25 also, but I kept my mouth shut. The course didn’t have mile markers at all, and I was only wearing my Timex, so we were going on feel. But I have a pretty accurate internal clock and it felt like we were doing low 8s. My son was doing great, working hard, but handling the pace just fine. When we turned the final corner, it looked like we had about 1/4 mile to go. I knew he could do sub-26 at that point and told him so. He kicked it in and ran his way to a 25:42. I was so proud of how well he ran!

It was a fairly small race, so I wasn’t sure what the age groups would be for him (he’s 9). When they announced the awards, sure enough, he was 3rd in the 12 and unders. That scored him a pie for our Thanksgiving meal–he chose pineapple, which sounds gross, but was actually quite good. It was a great start to the day!

And now to the winners of the Tytenz gear belts. Random.org selected numbers 30 and 68, so Tricia, of Endurance Isn’t Only Physical, and Historiodora on the Run are my two winners. Email me your addresses and preference on the belt and I’ll get them out to you. Congratulations!

Comments

1. Congrats to your son! He must have been so proud. That you're proud I can tell from your post, love it!

2. Silly Girl Running says:

I'm not surprised; he has speedy genes! ;) Congrats! :)

3. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

What a great Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for mothersm like yourself who promote fitness as a fun pastime to their children. Our kids are in a sad state of inactivity. Every time I see the NFL's "Go 60" commercials (promoting 60 minutes of play time a day) I am appalled. When I was a kid, you didn't have to force me to play outside – it was just the opposite! Our parents would have to call my friends and I in to bed 3 or 4 times (with threats!) before we'd drop our game of kickball or football and reluctantly head inside. I wish we could return to that. You've got yours on the right path!

4. Awesome! Congrats the the little guy!

5. Future super stud runner in the works! Just like his mom:) Congrats to your son…he did awesome! Cute picture too!

6. Congrats to your son!

7. That is just awesome. Way to go.

Pineapple Pie actually sounds great….make me miss Hawaii.

8. Pretend this is real says:

Wow! Congratulations! Your son did great!

9. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Wow, Congrats to your son!!!

10. Congratulations to your son on that brilliant run. That is just nothing short of awesomeness!

11. what an awesome day.

Congrats to your son.

Excellent!!

12. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

Awesome! Congrats to your son! And pineapple pie? hmmmm? Sounds different but yet interesting at the same time?

13. HEATHER @ runfastermommy! says:

That's awesome! Congrats to your little guy!

14. Congrats to your son! So nice that you were able to run with him. What a big PR!

15. *~* *~* Tracy says:

Congratulations to your son! He did a great job!

16. Wow, that's so cool! Congrats to your son!! I'm with you on the pineapple pie sounding gross… I'm very curious though now, I'll have to try some.

17. Super cool kid you have! Congratulations to you both :-)

18. wow! congrats to your son – very exciting :) hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

19. Wow that is great!!! congrats!

20. Woot for the 25 and the pineapple pie! Awesome running!

21. Amanda@runninghood says:

Yay for PRs! How cool that he is starting so young. :)

22. Yay for your kiddo!!!

23. That's so great! Congrats to your son on a great race! Definitely a wonderful way to start off Thanksgiving!

There were a lot of kids running the Turkey Trot we did yesterday. It was my first turkey trot and I loved seeing all the kids out there with their parents, what a great tradition!

24. Congrats to your boy! Pineapple pie huh?

25. Woohoo! Nice story. What a great way to spend your Thanksgiving.

26. That is so cool. Does it get any better? Nope, it doesn't. Congrats to both you.

27. Hey, MissZippy! If I had known Magdalena was goingoot be there, I would have pushed my way to the front to steal some pics and autographs! Arg! Oh well… maybe next year. :)

And I think I'm with you — if there were more XC races, I'd definitely look into getting a pair of XC shoes and I would 100% sign up for more! It was really hard but also so much fun.

Congrats to your son, by the way! So awesome about the pineapple pie! :) What a great holiday you two had. :)

xoxo,
    A

28. barefootjosh says:

Look at you, corrupting the minds of the youth. All this running is going to cut in on his couch potato development.

29. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

COngrats to your son!! Way to go!!!

30. Yay! What a great Thanksgiving race outcome! :) You must be a proud momma!

31. Wow! Congrats to your son! What a great way to kick off Thanksgiving!!

32. Congratulations to you and your son…great way to start Thanksgiving!

33. love it !!! i so look forward to when my girls are running with me !! and wow that is fast for a 9 year old !!

34. Woohoo! That is awesome! Congrats to you son on an awesome race and a 3rd place win!

35. The Hungry Runner Girl says:

Tell your son congrats!! That is so awesome. Wow, I wish I started racing when I was 9.
    Pineapple pie sounds delicious to me:)

36. Congrats to your son! He did a great job. Lucky for him, he's got a great and free coach.:)

37. How fun! Congrats to him … and you! Love the pic, too!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

38. Wow congrats to your son that is wonderful.

39. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Yay! I won!

Congratulations to your son! That's a fantastic new PR!

40. That is awesome!!! It is the best feeling in the world to see your children accomplish something!!! Congrats!

41. Well done! He must be thrilled!!!

42. Kids and running…there's nothing better! I really get a kick out of watching them cross the finish line, they always look liked they worked harder than anyone else out there! Thanks for sharing, this is so sweet.

43. Black Knight says:

Congrats to your son and … to the running mom!

44. JenniferLeah says:

Congrats to your son! That is awesome :)

45. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

Congrats to your son, that is amazing!!