This must be some kind of strange record!

This must be some kind of strange record!
The war wounds–a couple of massive blisters added to the fun

Well, after all my weather fretting, antibiotics, etc., I finally made it to the start line at the Richmond Marathon! I was happy to be feeling much better by Friday and pretty much normal on race day Saturday.

We headed off to the start line with a short walk from the hotel…so nice to be that close and to stay indoors relaxing ahead of time. The weather was bright and sunny and, in spite of a temperature reading of upper 30s, quite comfortable. So, I didn’t get to don any spectacular throw-away gear–will have to wait for next time. We had to cross the path of the 8k runners on their way to the finish and I was there right around when I thought Tonia might be coming through, but didn’t get to see her. She nailed her race, btw–congrats!

My goal for this race had been to run a 3:28-3:29, shaving 3 to 4 minutes of my previous PR. I trained for that pace, felt very dialed in to that pace, but…as you all know, marathons don’t always go according to plan. My friend Becky and I hung with the 3:30 pacer until the half mark (she was a fabulous pacer, btw) and then somehow moved ahead of the group, staying there until about mile 20, when they re-caught us. Becky was able to continue with them to the finish, getting her 3:28! I however, fell back a bit and couldn’t get the legs to keep up.  My mistake was getting the case of happy feet and moving ahead of the pacer, but that’s life.

Last year I had my marathon PR at Richmond, finishing in a time of 3:32:34. Want to guess what my time ended up being this year? 3:32:34. To the second. How can you run 26.2 miles and get the exact same time two years in a row? Quite sure there must be some stats out there that would reveal that’s a record! ; )

This must be some kind of strange record!
Beer, burgers and fries post-race!

Am I disappointed? A bit. But for the bad week I had leading up to it, I can certainly live with it. I enjoyed the day and the weekend with good friends, I enjoyed the journey getting here, and that’s what it’s all about. Now, time for some serious downtime, perhaps a runbattical ala Teamarcia, so that I can get to the point where I want to start training for Boston.

pin it button This must be some kind of strange record!

Comments

1. You got out there and did the damn thing! Very nice job.

2. that is too crazy!! Congrats!!!

3. Melissa Cunningham says:

AWESOME job girl!!!!
    and yes,very odd chance you had the same time 2yrs in row!!
    but like goose,said,you went out there and DID it! with a amazing pace!!!
    hopefully next year i will be doing the same race,not at 3:30ish pace though!!!

4. marathonmaiden says:

are you serious? the same time? that's crazy! but WAY TO GO for racing. congrats :)

5. Well done! You did great with all your problems leading up to the race. Those two times…crazy!!!
    Rest well!

6. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says:

Hey there!
    thought of you out there this wknd! that is too crazy to get the exact time as last year! What are the odds!??;-)

and great race time!! enjoy your runbattical!

7. Running and living says:

Amazing run, and with those bloody blisters! Congrats!

8. Nicole @BodyByBeer says:

Down to the exact second, how funny!

9. that's wild! Sorry about the blisters, but congrats on another great race!!!!

10. Momma K and her Krew says:

You are amazing! What an awesome time, what great spirit! My only dissapointment is in the lack of neon- HA! You are truly an inspiration- kudos!

11. Ouch… Your poor feet! Great job though getting to the start line after feeling so cruddy for the past bit. And matching your PR down to the second?! Bet you couldn't do that again if you tried! Way to go, you rock!

12. That is amazing! It is a good time and I am glad you are not feeling too disappointed with it! Excellent job.

13. I think you did great! And it's amazing how you ran exactly the same time, that's special, I mean how often does that happen?

14. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Holy cow! Lightening does strike in the same place twice! I know you are disappointed about not meeting your PR goal, but you are seriously amazing!

15. Ouch, on those blisters! I think you ran super fast- How funny that you got identical times as last year. Good job and glad you were feeling better for the race! Rest up and relax!

16. Amazing!!!

17. The Hungry Runner Girl says:

Wow!! I have never heard of that happening before, to the second??? Great job on your marathon, I don't know how you did it with the week you had!! Yes, time for down time!! We gotta start getting ready for Boston soon:) Once again great job and I am only feeling a little bit of marathon jealousy right now!

18. I saw your time (and your AG placement!) in the Richmond paper this morning. I was very excited for you and impressed with your time! I had no idea it's the exact same time as last year. That's gotta be some kind of record because the odds are slim to none. Hope the blisters heal quickly!! Enjoy the Runbattical. I'm right there with you and TeaMarcia.

19. Caratunk Girl says:

Way to go!! That is crazy that you ran the same exact time!! Looking at your shoes makes me wince in pain!

Good luck training for Boston, rest those blisters. I hope they heal quickly!

20. Congrats… and with you being sick and all, you did fabulous! Hope those blisters heal fast… and enjoy you runbattical!

21. I think you should buy a lottery ticket. Anyone who can run a marathon two years in a row and get the EXACT SAME TIME is very lucky.

And congrats! :-)

22. Congrats on a really excellent race – it still counts as a PR when it's the exact same time, right???
    My sympathies for the blisters. Ouch!

23. After your week leading up to this race, getting the same time and not slowing down even 1 sec … that's pretty awesome :)

24. Congratulations on the fantastic time! For the second time! That is just CRAZY.

25. Great job! Way to go! :0)

26. That is amazing!!! The exact same time 2 years in a row! WOW :) Congrats to a very good race, even though you had a tough week prior to the race. Congrats!!!

27. I wonder what the odds are on doing that! You're a consistent runner.

28. ShutUpandRun says:

You are nothing if not consistent! Congrats!

29. That is incredible. Figure out how to play Powerball or something using those numbers b/c that is amazing.

Great job on the race.

30. Kim (Book Worm Runs) says:

That is crazy!! :) Congratulations!

31. This is just unbelievable.
    I am so glad you were feeling well enough to run and that you ran so well. Congratulations.

32. congrats on a really excellent race after a tough week. i'm glad that you were still able to knock out a solid day!

33. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

Congrats again! You still did great even though you didn't hit the UBER goal. So weird about your time. How does that happen?

34. The Green Girl says:

Wow, to the second, that is so crazy! Congratulations on pushing through, girl, you rock!

35. That's crazy that you got the same time! Congrats…that's still an awesome time!

36. Happy Feet 26.2 says:

ok that is crazy! I thought it was weird when I ran 16 seconds apart, on 2 different courses. You win!

Actually, I think you were faster this year, because you couldn't have been 100% for the race with being sick so recently, so you were actually in better shape this year for sure, right?

Also, any day you are not slowing down, that is good thing. Strong race! Well Done!

37. Whataretheodds?? Awesome job!

38. Holy sh*t, you should definitely get an award for that! Congrats on a VERY strong marathon! That's incredible!!!

39. Freaky stuff! The same exact finish time. Wow. Congrats! I know you didn't hit your goal time but you still kicked ass. I would kill for that time. One day I'll be as fast as Miss. Zippy :) (I hope!)

40. Amazing! Congratulations! Glad that the weather was nice and you were feeling better. That's so strange that you got the exact same time!!

41. Good for you. You did it.
    That is odd that you managed the same exact time!

42. Awesome job! The time must have been meant to be, for this year. You rocked it, especially after the tough week leading up to the race. Congrats!

43. congratulations on a great weekend. That is… freaky. I mean, freaky good… but girl, you need to go buy a lotto ticket. I'm just sayin'.

44. that is crazy! and cool! and still an awesome time! i mean hello, you had the plague last week, it's understandable to be a bit off pace in a marathon a few days later. congrats!!

45. Awesome job Zippy! I know you didn't get your goal time but you still had an amazing race!! Seriosuly, 3:32 is a super fast marathon time:) Congrats to you!

46. That's too funny about the exact time – you gotta get that in some sort of world record book :). Congrats – I peeked at your time yesterday and was so happy for you!!!

47. How cool…and yes, a bit freaky, that you ran the exact same time!! Congrats on a wonderful race. Sorry you're a little disappointed, but that is amazingly fast!!

48. Lesley @ racingitoff.com says:

Wow… sounds like a pretty amazing time regardless! Congrats on another marathon.

49. Cynthia O'H says:

That's a great time and setting a record like that is amazing. It will only be a matter of time before Runners World gets wind of it.
    Congrats on the race, Speedy!

50. Considering the week you had, that is damn impressive. Looks like we are both shooting for 3:30 :-)

51. racing dawn says:

That's crazy! That's pretty dang great after being sick all week! Congrats! Enjoy some well deserved recovery time for sure!

52. hilarious. I would honestly brag like crazy for being able to pull that off. Mrs. Consistency :)

53. I think several extra bonus points are in order for hitting your same time on the head! WOW! Fantastic time no matter what you say, especially after being sick! Congrats!
    Now come join us runbatticalers!

54. Silly Girl Running says:

That's amazing! What are the odds to that?

55. How crazy to get the exact same time! Given how you were feeling just a week before that's fantastic!! Congrats!

56. Runners Fuel says:

I've never heard of anyone running any race the exact same time twice! Good job!

57. Congrats even though you didn't get the PR you wanted but am sure you still feel great about finish with such a great time considering your were not 100%.

58. Black Knight says:

Unbelievable, the same time! It means that you don't get older. Great job, congrats. You are very very fast. If you were here you could get BIG loots!

59. Crazy that you got the exact same time as last year! It's still a kickbutt time though, congrats!

60. How funny! Glad you had a decent race despite the rough week before it.

61. That's still a PR. You just did it twice. Congrats on another great finish. Cheers!

62. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says:

Congrats on the marathon – even if you were a bit disappointed! I think it's awesome and could only dream of finishing in that time :)

63. Maryland Girl aka Michelle says:

Congrats and amazing consistency.

64. Wow..that is amazing consistency! I'm impressed!

65. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says:

The odds on the same time two years in a row must be astronomical. Nice times in any way. I hope to hit 3:30 in two weeks, and BQ, which was my goal for the year.

66. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail says:

Wow! The same time a year later! Amazing. I'm sure a PR would have been nice, but battling sickness and running a stellar time like that has to be rewarding!!

67. What are the chances??? I guess there's something to be said about being consistent!

68. Well done on the marathon with all things considered! You did amazing, even down to the second! Funny how you got the same time!

69. that is so weird!! Congrats but really what are the odds :)
    At least you know that you have not in fact lost anything. YOu were sick and did as well as last year so if you were not fighting anything off you would have PRed for sure!
    Cheers!

70. You ran my marathon pr time after being sick! Are you kidding me? And you make it sound easy. You are sooo fast. It is crazy that you nailed the same time 2 years in a row.

Congratulations on a great race.

71. That is so totally amazing. And congratulations on a wonderful time. You rock!!!!!

72. Big Daddy Diesel says:

What is this world coming to!!!! I want to run and you want to take a runbattical!!! I never saw this coming, either of them!!!

73. down to the second! thats pretty crazy :) awesome job!!

74. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

Wow that is kind of freaky. You did a great job, congrats!

75. Nailing the same time twice is incredible – what are the odds? Seriously? That's amazing. But even more amazing is how you matched your PR under the circumstances – it really did not go your way and you still did it. I really hope you can feel better about yourself because of it.