MZ’s 10 Commandments for Marathon Recovery

1. Thou shall take a moment to be proud, even if you aren’t happy with your time
2. In the first week post-marathon, thou shall not run with friends who did not run the marathon–their pace will be more than you need right now. In fact, not running at all for one week is a good idea!
3. Thou shall hit snooze if that’s what you feel like doing
4. Thou shall not run speedwork (hopefully for at least a month!)
5. Thou shall cross train
6. Thou shall indulge in favorite treats for a day or two, then get back to normal. You’re not exercising all that much right now–don’t pack on unwanted pounds!
7. Thou shall not bore non-runner friends with the endless details of your 26.2
8. Thou shall not wear your medal to work, book club, the gym, your kids’ school, etc.
9. Thou shall refrain from signing up for the next marathon until you’ve had time to come back down to earth and reality
10. Thou shall have a spa weekend with girlfriends a week post-marathon (kidding, of course, but lucky me is doing just that!)

Comments

1. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says

and with that, I am going to hell. Definitely broke 8 or 9 of those. Cute post. Have a fun spa weekend!

2. Silly Girl Running says

I'm with you! I broke #9 already…That's just me… ;)

And not running the week after the marathon, although forced by the calf injury, felt kind of good. So, I said it! ;)

3. Katie says

Ugh I wish I had read this after mine. I am currently sitting her a month out so exhausted I can barely move… No I did not take any time off after mine thought I was super woman!

4. ShutUpandRun says

I agree wtih it all, but the medal part. You should wear that thing everywhere you go, bank, store, school, bus stop. You can even decorate it to draw more attention.

5. the dawn says

perfect list! especially the not telling the non-runners part…they just don't care enough for me to spill my entire emotional journey on them.

6. Tortuga_Runner says

Shoot, didn't realize #6 was two days only. I'm almost a month post marathon still indulging in "treats". Oh and I must break rule #8, a tiffany's necklace finishers "medal" should be the exception.

7. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says

Thanks for this. I will need it in a couple of weeks. I am not real sure about #10 though. My wife may frown on it. :)

8. Evolving Through Running says

Like the list a lot! So sore right now that taking a week off is proving to be a very easy decision. I'm living #6 to the fullest. Finally had a big bowl of ice cream last night and loved every bite.

9. Big Daddy Diesel says

WHAT?!?! I cant do 7 or 8 (I cant not confirm or deny I have done this in the past in reference to a race)

10. Kenley says

That is a pretty impressive list! I agree with the medal part, but wearing the shirt is a must I think. Oh, how I love walking and jogging right now. It is a comfort on my body right now. Thanks for sharing.

11. racing dawn says

Love love love it…I need some serious tips though if running in a marathon again 3 weeks away. :) And I'm definitely getting a pedicure this week too! Congrats again on your great finish!`

12. Kate says

Hahaha. This is great! Definitely a good idea to wait before signing up for your next race. Oh, and not wearing your medal around is also a great tip. :)

13. Ewa says

I totally disagree with 7 and 8. You should keep on bragging and wearing your medal proudly. If the non-running world does not understand – tough luck. :)
    So what is your next marathon? :)

14. Jason says

Man….I can't believe I broke rule #8, but I thought it would be a great thing to wear just like Flavor Flav wears his clock.

He obviously needs to know the time all the time and I obviously need to be reminded that I just ran a marathon.

I will take it off now, since the RnRSA for 2010 was just run (I ran mine in 2009)

15. Lesley @ racingitoff.com says

Oh, I definitely plan on breaking #7. My friends will just have to suffer through my every detail of the race… hey, I suffer through all their crafting and shopping expeditions with a smile, even when they interrupt my run time! LOL!!!!!!

(Does #8 apply if you wear it for Halloween? I think I'll be a marathoner next year! OK, maybe not…)

Love the list, though!

16. Love to Run says

Not sure I woudl do #10 though it sounds liek fun. I agree with #1 through 8 but #9 and I disagree, But then again, I am crazy enough to be signed up for 4 marathons at one time.

Find your next one and train like hell!!!! Hell in a good way I mean.

17. Running and living says

I like the list, including the medal part. honestly, I think medals are a waste of money. I'd prefer another Tshirt…

18. LMC says

I agree with each rule, although I think I am currently in violation of rule #5 and I forgot about the massage! I guess I can still get that one done. I'll work on that one!

19. Petraruns says

I think I need to highlight this post and keep coming back to it – I recognise the stuff I shouldn't do and should make a note of the stuff I should!