We rocked (and what to do tomorrow?)

69029 1669778352277 1471899948 31735297 2690873 n We rocked (and what to do tomorrow?)
Some of the chocolate ladies (and a man!) in our pre-race get-ups

We finished out the day with our chocolate party. Awesome food, good wine and great friends made for a really fun, if not exhausting, day!

Now onto tomorrow and the big decision–do I sign up for Boston or not?

The pros:

• I haven’t done it in a few years and would like to get back there.
  • I’d get to meet some of my favorite bloggers, like EMZ, Beth, and potentially Jill, among others.
  • My time from last year would probably give me a first-wave start.
  • It’s Boston.

The cons:

• I hate training for a marathon in the midst of winter. If this winter is anything like last years (snowmageddon) I don’t know how I’d do it.
  • I don’t think any of my training partners are interested in doing it this year. Do I want to be running 20s when they’re just doing 14?
  • It’s expensive–I started checking on hotels in late September and most everything near the finish line is sold out already. What’s left is ridiculously expensive.

What to do, what to do?

pin it button We rocked (and what to do tomorrow?)

Comments

1. I say do it!!!! It is a great opportunity and the training will make winter fly by. That is my vote.

2. You have 4 pros and only 3 cons, therefore the pros have it! I say go for it and maybe you could have your training partners do their 14s in stages so that you have someone with you for the whole 20? Good luck with your decision!

3. Steel Springs says:

Congratulations on some great relays! Top three is amazing! Good luck with your Boston decision.

4. You guys are amazing…I must start eating more chocolate :)

Boston…your call :) Go with your gut!

5. Good job ladies! Go Chocolate!

Best wishes deciding what to do about Boston

6. congrats on the race!

I say do it.

Boston is always going to be expensive, you're going to run during the winter anyway, and you'll get to meet some Blog friends! Do it.

7. Congrats on your 1st place relay finish!

Go for it; might as well!

8. marathonmaiden says:

wooooooooooot to being #1!

aaaaaaaaaaaand i guess i say go for it? i'm having the SAME debate right now too

9. Woo hoo on the race bling! Like someone else said, I need to eat more chocolate! As for Boston- Just do it! I will never qualify so make a special run for all of us who will never get to go! Cheers!

10. What a great result, congratulations. You did great!

As for Boston: I can't decide for you. I can only say that if you really want it, you know what to do.

11. Wowzer! You girls are freaking amazing!! First place..out of 239 teams!?! Yes, you do rock!! Nice job! I say…hello Boston:)

12. Congrats to the relay teams! That's as good as it gets, short of a 3 way tie for 1st (heck, you gals could probably do that too).

As for Boston, I say do it, sleep in the car if you have to. IT'S BOSTON! No pressure! :)

13. Running and living says:

Awesome! Huge congrats!
    As far as Boston is concerned, as you know, I decided not to do it bc I want to focus on triathlons. I can tell you, though, that you get a lot of support from bloggers during the winter. It helped me a ton last year and knowing that others are getting their 20 miler in the cold temps got me out of the house and onto the road. Also, if your training partners are only running 14 miles, you can run 6 before meeting them, and then 14 with them, hence a nice 20 miler. I do understand the cost, though, perhaps you can room with some of the bloggers? I'll try to make it to the meetup this year!

14. Patrick Mahoney says:

do it. Check the Park Plaza if you already haven't. I've got that cheap when the rest of the city was super expensive…

15. I would say do it, but that's just because I wish I were you and actually qualified for boston.

16. Yay! Congrats to you guys! Now, what to do? What to do? Tough choice… looking forward to hearing your decision.

*hugs* from Orlando

17. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

Boston can be done on a budget. I know b/c i've done it and still had an awesome time. I'm going for my 5th one in 2011…hope to see you there!

18. Congrats on sweeping 1st, 2nd and 3rd! :)

19. Nice job on your relay! (I don't always take my own advice, but…) We're never guaranteed tomorrow. We can always find a reason NOT to do something. If you've got a reason for doing it- Go get it. :)

20. Great job on the relay!! On Boston, I say go for it – I like what Goose said…"We're never guaranteed tomorrow!"

21. Fantastic, well done! You girls are super fast! Boston…I say go for it but only you can decide. I'm sure you'll know exactly what you want to do. Have a great week!

22. Congratulations!!!!

I say….DO IT!!!!
    Boston….here comes Miss Zippy! =)

23. Wow, great job!!

And, I'd do Boston!

24. Congrats to the chocolate ladies! Great times :-) I hope you find a descision your happy with for Boston, I'd be torn too.. I'd probs end up tempted into doing it though!

25. How many times have you been to Boston? What is your gut telling you? Will you regret it if you don't sign up? Good luck deciding.

26. those results are rigged!!! no way can you sweep the podium ;) way to go!

as to boston… up to you. if your heart isn't in the winter training it will be a loooong winter!

27. I wish you best of luck deciding on the Boston. Running gets to be an expensive sport when you factor in travel/accommodations/registration.

28. jamie@sweatyhugs says:

Wow! Awesome job on the relay!

Good luck on your Boston decision. I'm hoping we don't have another brutal winter. Ugh!

29. Way to clean up! CONGRATS!

Good luck with the Boston decision.

30. Live like there is no tomorrow! Go for it!! Boston baby!! Congrats on the relay!! What a great day!

31. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

Congrats :)
    Boston is a tough decision and you will make the right one for you! Good luck!

32. Go for it. I will virtually train with you. I just bought my headlamp, reflector vest, and clip-on bright red flashing light. I'm heading into the winter hell bent on BQ'ing and won't let a little dark or cold (it could get down to 60 in S.D.) hold me back.

33. Teamarcia says:

CONGRATS! You all totally rock!
    I may need to be physically restrained tomorrow morning, but I am planning to skip Boston next year. :(

34. Cynthia O'H says:

I've qualified for Boston a few times and haven't gone; the timing just wasn't right. If I BQ in the next year, I will be going.

Okay, that didn't help at all, did it?

35. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says:

oooh…great qt! to do or not to do Boston for you..hmmm…do you have any other big fish out there you want to catch? I say…find a new cool race and venture to do..only sayin' bcuz you asked;-)

36. Silly Girl Running says:

Congrats!!! As for Boston: go for it!!! :)

37. Congrats on the RELAY!! Boston is always a rockin' race, but I understand long runs can get lonely by yourself! Tough call, you'll do awesome if you do it!

38. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

Awesome job on the relay Amanda!

You could always sign up for Boston and not run it hard … so you wouldn't have to train too crazy during the winter! Run with a camera and take a crap load of pics and not even worry about time!

39. Awesome job on the relay! Congrats!

40. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I say do it

41. So did you decided on BOSTON? I say do it, it's so fun to meet everyone!
    Great job on the relay, it sounded fun!

42. Congras! You guys did awesome!

43. Congrats on a fantastic finish.
    It seems we all want you to do Boston because it is BOSTON and we want to learn from you.
    It does not look like you have anything better to train for. :) :) :)
    As for hotels, have you considered anything further away but still on a subway line? Fortunately Boston has pretty decent public transportation. There are also commuter lines but I am not sure if they run on Patriots Day. They probably are because of the marathon and other activities in the city.

44. Congrats on the relay! Great pic, too!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Trackbacks

1. [...] 15 of us in all, ranging from about 35 through 53. We do speedwork together, long runs together, relays together, and let’s no forget birthday cake runs together! Running wouldn’t be the same [...]

2. [...] of us who are making up two relay teams for this weekend’s marathon. This is a long-standing tradition with our group, one we’ve upheld for almost all of the 12 years the marathon has been in [...]