Really, what was I thinking?

candycorn wall Really, what was I thinking?

My marathon is Nov. 13, a date I picked because I don’t run well in the heat. November in Richmond gives me at least a decent chance of having favorable marathon temperatures.

What I didn’t take into account, and what I forgot from doing this same marathon last year, is that this date is bad for one chief reason–there are too many stinkin’ sweets between now and then to tempt me! Let’s see, first there’s this little thing called Halloween. Then there are the Girl Scout cookies being delivered this week. Oh, and next week? Both my birthday and my daughter’s.

Yeah, just a bit of temptation. When I’m not running as many miles. My usual strategy with sweets and things that tempt me is to simply keep them out of the house. With that in mind, here’s my plan of attack with all the sweets:

• My husband bought some candy corn the other day–he has hidden it from me.
  • I’m not buying Halloween candy until the last minute, even if it means the selection is terrible and we are the most unpopular house on the block because we have to hand out bags of pretzels or some such.
  • The Girl Scout cookies? Going to my husband’s office or the local shelter.
  • The birthday cake will be transported to my parent’s house when we visit and will stay there.

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do, no?

Comments

1. Jason says

Perfect. I have walked past the candy aisle in the grocery store and just avoided the magnet that is a snickers bar, or kit-kat, or twix, or ahhh!!!!!! Stop the madness!!!!!

2. P says

My son's birthday cake went directly into the freezer as soon as the guests left. I make it a point to buy and hand out Halloween candy that I won't eat. And thankfully, Girl Scouts around here deliver their goods in March. *whew*
    I'd be dead meat if there was any candy corn in the house, though, I can't resist candy corn!!

3. Karen says

Sounds like a good plan! I have to do the same thing…keep it out of the house! Otherwise, I'll eat it and ugh..lol Good luck! :0)

4. Scarlett Elliewood says

Oh, jeez, I could stay away from the candy, but the Girl Scout cookies would do me in. Good luck for your marathon; I bet the weather will be beautiful.

5. Christa says

That is great!!! No kidding!! You will do great!! You know what is sad, we still have Halloween candy in the house from last year- I think we will just have to throw it away to make room for all the candy my 4 kids will get this weekend. BLAH ( we give away tattoos, stickers, etc..no candy, the kids seem to like that)

Girl Scout Cookies- My daughter sells those (but we dont sell them here until April). I bought 18 boxes ( because that is what a Brownie mom does) BUT I never had one single cookie. All boxes are gone and none went in my mouth. Not that I didnt want one, but that is the problem I knew I couldn't eat just one.

You are running lots and lots of miles so I think you can indulge in the birthday cake- it will be ok!!!

What us moms to do to reach our fitness goals!!!

6. Teamarcia says

Sounds like you've got your bases covered. We had a Halloween party last weekend and I had to throw away the leftover brownies/cake….had to.

7. Evolving Through Running says

I like the strategy. Candy corn has some strange sort of control over my brain. I'm incapable of passing by a bowl of the stuff without eating any. Little corn-shaped pieces of sweet evil.

8. Emz says

Oh man. You are way – way- WAY better than me.

The Pita always tells me, "can you imagine how fast you'd be if you ate better?"

I wish I had the will power you have!!

9. Runners Fuel says

Man, you are tough. I am my own weakness. Last night I made a 2 layer cake with buttercream fosing. I'm horrible!

10. marathonmaiden says

well candy and cake has carbs in it…right?!

but you'll do great and still rock this marathon. at least you're trained for it. i just signed up for one that's just over 5 weeks away. eeek hahahah

11. Running and living says

If my husband hid the candy, it will be my mission to find it:)
    OK, so I am one of those people who does well with small portions. I have chocolate every single day of my life – I have a chocolate stash at home and carry chocolate in my purse; yes, I am an addict. You'll do great at Richmond! Can't wait!

12. MCM Mama says

I'm the same way about Halloween candy. I won't be buying it until Saturday.

I'd have to have my husband lock up the girl scout cookies and then give them to me after the race. I couldn't give them up completely. LOL

13. Jogging with Fiction says

I don't have the will power. But I am waiting until the very last minute to get halloween candy and am going to get something I don't like…thought I'm not sure what kind of candy that will be.

14. Aimee says

Oh man…I am having a terrible time avoiding all of the candy! I made the mistake of picking up a bag of candy at Target b/c it was on sale. Between me, my husband, and boys, the bag is now half gone…ugh!!
    Good luck!

15. Molly says

oh yeah, that's a lot of temptation. My strategy year round, is to take one small bite, and toss the rest in the garbage. It's a bit wasteful, but I'd rather have it pile up there, instead of my butt.

16. ShutUpandRun says

I'm like that with wine. If I don't to drink it I don't have it in the house. Guess everyone's got their stuff. Good luck with the will power!

17. LMC says

You've got a good plan! I don't have candy, cake or potato chips in the house. It's just easier that way. I'll buy candy on Saturday and then take the leftovers to work on Monday. Good luck staying away from all the goodies!

18. Char says

Being a runner and having a sweet tooth does together doesn't it? I have to keep sweets out of the house too. I could eat a whole bag in a sitting – and then feel horribly sick afterwards.

19. Beginner Tri Baby says

So far I haven't touched a piece of candy corn & I really love Candy Corn. Mmmmmm cand corn and honey roasted peanuts. Mmmmmmm.

Gotta go now – good thing it's bedtime and I have no candy in the house!

20. Mike Russell says

I actually wait until about almost the end of the night and dump all the candy in some 3 year old's bag. Parents hate it, but I gotta get rid of it.

21. heather says

I feel your candy-coated pain. Candy corn is the devil. Feeling a little better now that I've read all your comments…thought I was the only one with zero self-control.

You will rock on Nov. 13!

22. Matty O says

HA! You sound IDENTICAL to me. I will make H hide all the sweets in the house haha.

It works, sounds weird, but this works. Good luck!

23. J says

Every time I pass the candy aisle at the store I am so tempted to pick some up! But we never get any trick or treaters so i have no reason to buy any.

24. Johann says

Oh my, I would fail 100% here. Luckily Halloween is not a SA thing. I'm usually very good but with high mileage weeks the hunger takes control.

25. Marlene says

I had a really hard time with the date of my marathon for similar reasons – in the 2 weeks leading up to the big day, we had hubs' Bday, my Bday and Thanksgiving! Not to mention the Halloween treats already making their appearances.

Good luck, be strong!!

26. lindsay says

I've been saying this for a year but I need to get my diet in check all-around, not just in race prep! I've been very bad. Once you start you can't stop! Resist!!

Also I am planning on spectating Boston. I won't be able to fly up til Sunday sometime bc of a wedding, so hopefully there will be a Sunday afternoon/evening meetup? :-)

27. Julie @ Hotlegs Runner says

I've never been much of a sweet-tooth but for some reason, while training for my first marathon, I've been craving for carbs AND SWEETS. weird! I hope we get through Halloween. Must stay away from the candy! haha! I'm a new follower by the way. also, added you to my blogroll =)

28. Anabela (Bela) Neves says

LOL…..around Halloween is not a good time for people with a sweet tooth! you will do great on the race. Nov 13th is my daughters birthday, we will both be cheering for you from a far!

29. Carly says

Ohhh gosh do I feel your pain! I bought a bag of candy a few weeks ago and I can tell you it magically turned into 5lbs on my rear end. funny how that happens. Now I will have to hit up the stores right before the trick or treaters come.

30. Fran says

Think you have a good strategy to beat the sweets.

We don't celebrate Halloween so no temptation for me this weekend. We do have something called "Sinterklaas" on December 5th which includes lots of candy. (You can compare him to Santa Clause). But this is more a children's holiday and we don't celebrate it because we don't have children and this also means (thankfully) no sweets in the house that day.

31. Dash says

Haha, that's funny, I never used to race in the fall due to too many munchies!! I know you will rock Richmond!! I'm excited for you, especially with this mornings weather! AHHHH!

Hi, I do believe this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to revisit yet again since I bookmarked it.
    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be
    rich and continue to guide others.
    Garfield recently posted..GarfieldMy Profile

Someone necessarily lend a hand to make seriously articles I might state.
    This is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this
    point? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish
    incredible. Magnificent process!
    Paul recently posted..PaulMy Profile

I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your website. It appears as though some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This could be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    visit website recently posted..visit websiteMy Profile