Fran’s Virtual Pink Dress Run

One week into my taper–my legs are starting to feel better, but still have a long way to go. Taper madness, however, is firmly in place!

Yesterday, Fran at Dutch Girl Gets Healthy, sponsored a virtual “pink dress” run for breast cancer awareness. The rules were simple–you could run a race, a training run, whatever you wanted, as long as it was on Oct. 16 and you wore pink.

So, two weeks out from my marathon I ran a 16-plus mile route, with four miles at marathon pace thrown in. I warmed up easy for about 2 miles, then set off on my four-mile MP segment. As has been happening every time I’ve tried to run MP, I went too fast. Maybe that’s why my legs are still feeling tired? Don’t answer.

Anyhow, after my 4 miles I swung back around to pick up my running partners and complete the 16ish course. I don’t wear a Garmin, (in spite of having one!) so the exact distance is a bit fuzzy, but I think all told we did around 16 1/2 in about 2:24. A decent day, but like I said, the last few miles reminded me that I still have a way to go to have fresh marathon legs.

I did wear a pink shirt, Fran, but I forgot all about taking a picture until much later in the day. At that point I considered pulling the wrinkled, sweaty shirt out of the dirty clothes for a picture (I would have laid the shirt on the ground, not put it back on!), but decided you would probably take my word for it. So there you have it. Be sure to check out Fran’s site for all the run reports, and for a fun look at running in the Netherlands.

I hope everyone’s training runs and races were great this weekend!

pin it button Frans Virtual Pink Dress Run

Comments

1. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Oh, man! If I had known about this I would have gone as a beauty queen instead of a cat for my 5k yesterday! Happy Halloween!

2. marathonmaiden says:

how fun! i wish i had known about this. i love pink and especially wearing it for a good cause! i guess the pink bracelet i wear will have to have sufficed :)

3. What a cute idea! And your marathon legs will be there… you know that! :)

4. I believe you! Thanks for joining. It's so great to know that people from all across the world are running on the same day. I love the blogging community.

5. Nice job on the virtual Pink Dress Run!! I did mine yesterday:) Funny about the shirt…I would of passed on the picture too:)

Happy Halloween….have fun with the kiddos!

6. Hapy Halloween….what will you be donning today? A WASHED pink shirt?

7. eatreadrun.com says:

Just curious – why don't you wear a Garmin if you have one? I like the virtual pink run idea – very cute.

8. You are getting some major miles in still! Good job! Not sure if I want a bike trainer but a few people have suggested it. I am hoping to be running again at some point! Have you ever used a bike trainer?

9. Taper madness – I finally know what you've all been talking about. The legs will come good but the mind will play tricks and you'll survive it all and be on the starting line ready to go.

10. What a great, fun virtual race!

11. man, i was really hoping for a pic of that pink outfit! if only it had been a dress… great cause!

12. Neat. Sounds like you are in good shape for your upcoming race too.

13. good work on the 16+ miles. with a little more rest your legs will be begging for the 26.2 miles!

14. Great run and a good pace as well! I wore pink to work for awareness.

15. Black Knight says:

Good job on the virtual race. As you did I don't wear often the Garmin because otherwise I would spend all the running-time checking my pace.

16. Thomas Bussiere says:

Taper – Love it.
    Good luck with the race.

17. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says:

This is my last week of building before starting my taper as well, so I will be right there with ya.

18. That sounds like such a fun event…I'm up for anything pink with running in it :). Your legs are going to be springy fresh as soon as they get a little resty!!

19. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

oh i like the idea of grouping miles at pace, I've been doing some different things like that based on brain training which is totally different for me. I always just ran long and slow, I like pushing myself a little on the long days