The art of running in the rain

The art of running in the rain

This is the view from my car at 5:30 this morning. On tap–10 miles in the pouring rain.

Here’s my take on running in the rain:

• The dread of it is always worse than the actual run
  • A hot shower never feels as good as it does after a run in the rain
  • Misery loves company (thank you Becky and Tacy!)
  • It still beats the treadmill
  • That which does not kill me…
  • I won’t melt

So, as the saying goes, when it rains, suck it up buttercup!

Don’t forget my Running Chics giveaway here–ends Monday, Oct. 4.

Comments

1. Silly Girl Running says

OH MY! That looks awful. However…Dutch Fall running weather implies running in the pouring rain 90% of the time…so, I feel your pain. ;)

2. Petraruns says

Oh that DOES look really off-putting. But I agree – it is never as bad as it looks, you can only get SO wet and my do you feel smug afterwards! And warm, once you're out of that shower!

3. Ewa says

I love running in the rain. Makes me feel tough for doing so.
    This comment comes from CA girl who hasn't see rain in months now. :)

4. Patrick Mahoney says

do you wear rain gear or just go? I suppose in the cold you would have to but what about when it's warm enough?

5. Big Daddy Diesel says

It depends on the rain, freezing cold rain, yep I hate it but I still do it.

Warm rain, i actually invite that, its kinda refreshing

6. Laura says

I'll be remembering that 'suck it up buttercup' every single time I think of not running in the rain – I'll no longer be a fair weather runner!

7. Pat says

Dorothy and I went out a little later and ran shorter since we're racing Sat. The rain was nice and warm, so actually quite pleasant. It was raining really hard, though, and we did get some strange looks from people who were driving past us.

8. Marlene says

Great list! I love to run in the rain EXCEPT when it is also dark. Great reasons to get out there. Hope you enjoyed that shower!

9. J says

I love running in the rain – except when its super cold out. Then I would rather have snow! It feels so good to come in from a rainy run and shower, get all warm, snuggle up on the couch with some coffee/hot chocolate (if its a Saturday) and enjoy the rest of the day!

10. Kim says

I actually don't mind running in the rain, but I think I'm going to skip it today… I don't mind running on the treadmill either ;)

11. Laura says

I don't enjoy the rain but I prefer it to hot sun! And you do look way more hardcore and committed getting out there when it's raining!

12. Katie says

see, i stepped outside this morning and went, "ohhh, i wish i could run in this." i love running in the rain. hope you had a great one!

13. aron says

i LOVE running in the rain :) i cant wait!

nothing will get me on a treadmill except heat and usually thats under dire circumstances ;) nice job!!!

14. Meredith says

I had an incredibly wet run in the rain in the spring and it pretty much got rid of any dislike I had. Now, I feel like a hardcore warrior runner! I ran 11 in the constant rain last weekend and felt so great when I was done. Also, have NEVER been that wet before! Oh, and the fact that I live in the NW makes it inevitable that I will run in the rain many times!

15. Running and living says

I love running in the rain. Well, I don;t like to start the run when it rains, but once I am out, I really love it. It makes me feel so bad ass. Honestly, I was hoping for some rain during this morning's hot and humid run, but no such luck!

16. Fran says

I don't mind running in the rain, in fact I kind of like it if it's not raining to hard. I do mind starting in the rain but usually that doesn't stop me.

Last year I went for a long run when it was dry but during my run at 6K a storm began, I've never had such hard rain and wind during a run. I could have gone home at that point because I was close but I decided that since I already was soaking wet I might just as well finish it till 10K and it was one of the best runs I've ever had.

17. ajh says

I agree with all of these. I like running in the rain if………..it's not bitter cold and I am able to quickly change and take a shower when I am done!

18. funderson says

ug…My Bill is back East visiting his folks for the first time in 10+ years and I imagine he is cursing that weather as much as you.

19. Happy Feet 26.2 says

I love when it rains while I'm out on a run, but to start in the rain is REALLY tough. I usually wimp out and choose the mill. Good Job! So nice to have good friends.

20. Julie says

Good job Zippy! Running in the rain can be okay as long as it is not freezing and it isn't the kind that hurts the face:) You are a super stud…way to suck it up!

21. lindsay says

i also don't mind the rain, as long as it's not freezing! (or thundering/lightning of course) i can never get good pics of the rain like that one.

22. Michelle says

Love running in the rain – when it is light out. I don't really like it when it is still dark, but it is really peaceful either way.

23. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says

I ran in a complete downpour yesterday morning. I couldn't see a few inches in front of me. The only thing I worried about was my Garmin. I took it off and put it in my hydration belt pouch. I think it survived. Hopefully my sneakers will be dry in time for the half marathon tomorrow!

24. Dash says

I really did enjoy running in the rain yesterday, but I don't like the rain when it gets under 50 degrees! Of course, my like may have been aided by coming off the layoff! What marathon are you running this fall?

25. Chris K says

I have to be honest, I did not read the other comments. But, I am so friggin impressed that, at 5:30 a.m., you did not do a U-turn and return home. Please continue being a Stud. I will need you as a benchmark/inspiration as I embark on my fall/winter training plan. You rock.

26. Anabela (Bela) Neves says

My first ever race was in the rain….I hated it….I hate rain! I would definately take a threadmill inside instead of rain….LOL

27. Beth says

So true! It's hard to take those first steps in the rain, but it's never that bad. Some of my favorite runs have been very wet. Good for you!

28. Cynthia O'H says

I needed this. I've had a horrible week all round and it's pouring. Tomorrow, I'm running 18 in the rain on my own. Misery loves company – even if it is virtual. Thanks.