Not my norm

I don’t know about you all, but my training weeks, while different every time, do tend to follow a similar pattern. Speed on Tuesdays, mid-week “long” on Thursdays, long on Saturdays. I often throw in the same types of cross-training on the same days too. I do shake it up a bit from one week to the next–we all should–but you get the picture.

This week I’ve stepped out of my normal patterns and I’ve really enjoyed it. After racing on Sunday, I felt surprisingly good on Monday. To help further my recovery, I took my bike out for an easy hour-long spin that day. Tuesday I hit the pool in the a.m. instead of doing my usual run with friends. In the evening, I met up with some fellow coaches for an easy six miles before the folks in our program showed up for their speed workouts. This was a new route with people I’ve never run with before (thank you D. and M.).

Wednesday and today also took my out of my norm and tomorrow–well, tomorrow I am going to a new yoga/Pilate’s fusion class. Being the world’s most inflexible person, this should provide some comic relief to my fellow classmates.

It’s good to break up the routine now and again, both for the mind and especially for the body. Your muscles need to continually be challenged if you want them to give you returns. For an OCD creature of habit like me, it doesn’t always come easily. Have you tried anything new this week?

Comments

1. I've tried tapering [properly] for the first time. Does that count? ;)

I think I need yoga.

2. I want to try yoga!! I think it would be good for the muscles!

3. The Green Girl says:

I'd be curious to hear how you like the yoga/Pilates fusion class.

4. Kovas Palubinskas says:

I'm totally a creature of habit when training, same type of training on specific days of the week, though I do change what I do from week to week.

5. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

I am switching my long run and long bike days this weekend. Gonna be weird b/c I am a creature of habit!

Good for you for spicing it up some!

6. Yes! I did a yoga class with Ginny (Happyfeet26.2). The class was a free clinic especially geared toward runners. It was hard but the workout was fabulous. I do some yoga on a regular basis but had forgotten how important it is to be in a class setting. I am pretty sure I will do more soon. Also I never workout in the evening, I kinda liked it.

7. I admit, I don't switch things up very often. Once I have this next maratho under my belt, I'm hitting up the cross-training again.

8. Patrick Mahoney says:

Can't say that I did. However, I'm looking forward to making myself break out of the norm in October though after my last tri of the year…I may (gasp) mountain bike or (double gasp) go to boot camp at the gym…

9. I used to do my long bike on Saturday, then long Run on Sunday, then it would take me until the following weekend to recovery fully. So I moved my long run to Tuesday, and that one day of recovery between long bike and run somehow allowed me to run a better long run, but also kept my overall recovery time down.

10. Silly Girl Running says:

Thanks for sharing! Honestly, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I've been so focussed on marathon training that I push myself to run even when my body is telling me not to. I WILL NOT do tonight's scheduled 6 miler. I WILL take my bike out and take my dog for a long walk afterwards.

11. I've switched alot of things around the last year, outside the norm of what I had been doing for 20 years. It def has been fun being flexible (with my routine, like you my body is not so flexible.).

12. I have a circular running route that I have run for years; its my "go to route". It is about 6 miles,and very hilly, with essentially no lengthy flats.

One day last summer, I decided to run my route backwards — thus running the route counterclockwise, instead of clockwise as usual. Running it in the opposite direction has the effect of making all of the usual uphills into downhills and vice versa. OMG was it a mind trip! When I ran the route my normal way, I never appreciated the subtle downhills, which were now seemingly never ending uphills. And the normal "uphills" that I always struggled with, now seemed to be puny little downhills. It was like the hardest run I have ever had. On one level I thought…hmmm..it is the SAME workout as normal! But mentally,it was completely different, and even more challenging, because my mental instincts (when to push, when to conserve, etc.) were all exactly wrong.

I haven't done it backwards since.

13. Runners Fuel says:

I love trying new things, too. It's always fun, even if you're bad at it!

14. What I probably need is MORE structure to my training. I am sure more rigid routine would help me stick with the program.

15. marathonmaiden says:

my running is DEFINITELY routine. right down to the routes i run (aka monday = route 1, tuesday = route 2 etc). it's so liberating changing things up :)

16. I've just signed up for a new yoga class starting in October. I'm very much a person of habit and routine too but once I push myself to change I find it very refreshing!

17. Haha, i love it. For me, I go crazy in a SET routine… I don't follow directions well. EVER! haha.

I know how hard it is for you to do this though. H is the same way.

Feels liberating huh? Prepare to hurt after yoga ;)

Keep up the good work!

18. ShutUpandRun says:

Even tho I'm type A, I love messing with my routine. It keeps me sane and keeps my training from becoming too monotonous….

19. I've been to Pilates for the past three weeks and loving it.

I have a routine too for my workout days. I think indeed that it's a good thing to mix it up but my workout schedule works because it is planned around work and Pilates and the long run in the weekend.

20. Angie Bishop says:

I wish I were a creature of habit! We have no schedule at all other than Jupiter's school schedule.
    I would love to take a yoga class or something like that.

21. Andrew Opala says:

I'm running with music

22. So true! I bagged my speedwork this week because I was still feeling dead from the race. I replaced it with intervals on the bike. And as you know my second half of the week has been turn upside down due to rain! :D

23. Nothign new this week, but i am looking forward to changing up my routine after my last tri in october. I run and lift more for a few months let up and spin and swim for a while.

24. Caratunk Girl says:

Well, nothing really new this week. But I find when I do change it up, I get much more energized!!

25. I did a Yasso 800 run today! I think.

Love the PiYo class at my gym. That is, I love the thought of it. I don't actually you know, go IN there or anything. Looks pretty cool though.

Have fun!

26. I keep having to change for work commitments but it's always long run on my day off.. except for next week when I don't think I can which is definately going to throw a huge spanner in my works hehe

27. I'll be breaking out of my routine this weekend. Yes, I'll be going to Taronga Zoo. It's a must whenever I visit Sydney.

28. Back on the elliptical while this heel heals. Can't say I love it although today was better than Tuesday. But as you know I am loving the bike.

29. I took a walk today instead of a run…I'm still recovering!! : )

30. I ran with 2 other people and supposedly someone is going to contact me about running part of my 11-miler with me on Sunday.

31. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Good for you for switching things up! I think it's nice to change things every once in awhile in my training.
    I LOVE my yoga class that I go to! I'm so glad I found it b/c it is awesome!

32. This week I tried to rest after my race……didn't work so well! I feel guilty for not doing anything so I went and ran a couple of times! A little change is refreshing isnt it?

33. I don't do this often but think it is good. One reason I like my "similar pattern weeks" is because I can always tell what form I'm in at any time.

34. Hi Zippy,
    I would of pegged you as a flexible runner:) You could come watch me at a Yoga class…you would end up feeling great about yourself:) I am pretty sure that I will get lots of laughs!

I am not doing anything different this week just lowering my longer run to 16 miles:)

Have a great weekend!

35. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

Good for you for mixing it up! I did something different this week too. A circuit wt workout w/running intervals in btw. Fun!

36. Um, no. The world will stop spinning if I don't stay consistent with my exact training plan every week. I would also break out in hives and have difficulty breathing. My weekly plan is like a soft warm blanket on a winter's night. Please don't make me break up my routine.

37. chris mcpeake says:

changing it up is always good

38. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Thanks for this post! I have been a little bit frustrated by having to run shorter runs this week and having to cut my long run short today (which means I'll have to go back out tomorrow). Now I'm just going to look at this week as on in which I'm shaking things up.