No drama zone

I had the best long run on Saturday–perfect weather, strong legs, and wonderful running partners.

I’ve been running with most of these girls for several years now. I appreciate them for so many reasons, but one fabulous reason is that this is a group within which we never have drama. There’s never any talking behind backs, no passive aggressive behavior, no snarky comments, no nothing. And as a female–you know where I’m coming from girls–this is rare indeed.

I can’t say that I have much drama in my life; I believe that as adults that’s the way it should be. But it happens on occasion in groups other than my running friends. Really, it gets old.

I’m not sure why this particular group avoids the nonsense, but I have my theories. One is that an activity like running gives you self-esteem that you might not have otherwise. Self-esteem translates into better behavior all around. It’s those without it that are mostly likely to stir the pot, in my opinion.

Whatever the reason, I love that I have a group of friends where I can always feel comfortable and supported. I’m a lucky lady.

Don’t forget my POM Wonderful giveaway here. It ends tomorrow!

Comments

1. Andrew Opala says:

I wonder how common this is in men's running groups?

2. Oh I really wish all adults would realize it is time to let the drama go! Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. (forgive the pun):)

3. Oh I so wish I could send this to some girls I know… and I wish I could find that kind of group around here!

4. Kovas Palubinskas says:

How lucky you are to have a good running group.

5. You are right! We are really blessed to have so many amazing women runners who live within a small radius. I agree that we are incredibly drama-free, with a few small exceptions, and that this makes our runs even more precious. We would really like to move somewhere warmer within a few years, but need to get all of "the girls" to agree to move with us!

6. marathonmaiden says:

that's awesome there's no drama! even with my closest friends that i've known forever there's always drama. i need to come and run with you :)

7. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says:

I need to find a running group! I'd love some of that no drama around me.

8. I don't see much drama in my group, but I do sense some weirdness from a few of the women. So I just stay away from 'em!

9. Running and living says:

Women who run tend to be like this. Historically my best friendships have been with men, mainly because of the gossip and girl talk that I found boring most of the time. But running/bloggy runners are just awesome!

10. what a great group! I love that you guys get away from the drama!

11. That's awesome that you have such a great group of friends!

12. In my experience, running friends are the best friends there are!

13. BLISS!!!

14. Oh a drama free life! That is what I run for, the quite and peace! Cheers, have a great week Meg!

15. Patrick Mahoney says:

My athlete friends – solid, drama free and hard working. My music business friends? Not so much (not all of them to be fair, but enough to call it a trend).

16. You are very lucky to be drama-free!
    I totally agree the pot-stirrers are frequently those with esteem issues.

17. chris mcpeake says:

good running groups rock thats for sure

18. Caratunk Girl says:

That is why I don't run with people – the drama!! I am jealous of your running buddies!

19. ShutUpandRun says:

I avoid girl drama like the plague. Didn't they learn anything in high school? Glad you have a group that embraces the positive. Hard to come by.

20. I love it. Love it. What an awesome group you have. I found that same thing with my current running buddies. Completely amazing feeling, right?!

21. I hate drama but somehow girl drama is 10X worse. YAY for awesome friends!

22. I love a good non-drama anything. I work with people who like drama, stir up drama etc. I just like to be in my own little world – which of course, generates much talk and drama among the drama-loving crowd.
    I enjoy my running friends – virtual and real life running friends because they are always so happy, encouraging and have nothing mean or ill-spirited to say of others.

23. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

The real reason for the lack of drama is that you are so darn fast that all the other ladies are out of breath trying to keep up with you and therefore they are just to winded to speak!!!

My wife and I have pretty much phased out the drama friends in our lives over the last few years and it has turned out to be a very good decision. It seems as we get old we choose to have less friends and more acquaintances.

24. I think you hit the nail on the head. I find the same with the women I run with- no drama. Glad you found such a great group, too.

25. So happy that you had a great long run…yay!!

26. I'm with you……avoid the drama!

27. Great to have a good long run but even better NO DRAMA ZONE! What? You know that many adults? Cherish them. Cherish these lovely friends because it truly IS rare.

28. Women can be quite harsh creatures. And I agree exercise fosters better behaviours.

29. Your group sounds wonderful!

I've had my drama with women over the years too but I find that now I'm getting older it's getting less because I don't care that much. If someone has something against me I turn around, move on and let it go. Life is too short to be surrounded by people who suck up your energy or talk behind your back. There are plenty of other fun people around.

30. I think you are 100% correct. We (some running friends and me, boys and girls) talked about this a while back and came to the exact same conclusion. I treasure my running friends.

31. There is enough drama in the world without drama friends.
    I think all the talking behind one's back comes from lack of esteem. Good you have confident friend who like running too.

32. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

i miss having a big group of girl friends… I do not miss any of that drama. SO glad you have that awesome group!!!

33. Staci Dombroski says:

That is nice to not have any drama!!!

34. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Awesome! I hate "girl" drama too!

35. RunWithKate says:

I wish that I had a group like that to run with. It sounds wonderful!! :)

36. Big Daddy Diesel says:

It is soooooo tough to find good training partners.

37. I think you're right, though, when you run it's a different situation, and maybe since running releases endorphins it makes for a better group activity.

38. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says:

Well said! Runners are full of confidence, proud of what they do, and don't have time or the breath to waste on gossip and dramatic nonsense!