Getting my ohm on

This marathon training cycle, I’ve done many of the things that worked for me last fall. But I’ve also thrown in a couple of new things and I’ve gotta say, they’re working for me.

One is the new addition of yoga to my routine. I know I’m late to the party on this one, but I’ve never had time to fit it into my schedule before. Now I do, and the past two Friday afternoons I’ve met some of my running friends for a yoga/Pilate’s fusion class.

Now, I know I look like an idiot in there–flexible I am not. But I don’t care. And I know I am not more flexible from it, yet. But–both last week’s and this week’s long runs have felt amazing. I swear I don’t have my normal tightness going into the runs and it’s making a 21-miler feel like 10.

What’s also working for me is the Sugoi recovery tights I gave away recently. I know they are expensive, but I’m telling you folks–they work. I throw them on after my long runs and wear them pretty much all afternoon (provided I don’t have to look presentable somewhere!) and I feel like a new runner the next day. Consider opening your wallet for them!

Once again, it’s the journey of running, learning something new every time, that keeps me coming back. What’s working for your marathon training this time?

Comments

1. Fran says

I went back to Pilates a few weeks ago and it reminded me that I totally lost my flexibility which I had build when I did Pilates before.

Pilates and yoga are supposed to be great additions for runners and I think that's true. I love doing it, that's for sure.

2. marathonmaiden says

i'm not marathon training right now but i wish that i had made myself do more yoga last time. even though i can't get into it i think the flexibility would have been great

3. Jennifer says

Yoga is good! For the body and soul. I may look into those tights, I keep hearing more and more about them, and it's all good. Cheers!

4. Ewa says

OK, OK, I get the message. Y O G A!!! I've been toying with the yoga idea on and off and never stuck with the program. Maybe taking a class vs. trying it at home from a DVD would make a difference. I surely need something in flexibility area and if you are saying 20mi feel like 10, I am sold. :)

5. RunWithKate says

Sadly, I am doing LESS yoga with my training right now. When I do yoga about twice a week I feel fresh on my long runs. My body feels better altogether.

I need to squeeze it in a bit more.

Thanks again for the Yasso info — I did 8 the other day and they were great! I gave you a little shout out in my last post. :)

6. Anabela (Bela) Neves says

Glad you are enjoying yoga and thanks letting us know about the Sugoi recovery tights….I may just have to pay a pair!

7. Chris K says

You are a Stud to be sure. But, there is one thing that I can kick your butt at….. I'm sure that I am less flexible than you :-) I liked Patrick's comment…. he is a millimeter away, I am a Meter away.

8. P says

Love, love, love my compression tights, too! They've been working for me for a little over a year now. But I'm even later to the yoga party than you…just now doing some research and thinking about it. I love how it's working for you, now I'm definitely going to get started!

9. Char says

Great advice. Yoga sounds like it's something I should be considering. And compression garments – they've been my saviour while I've been training for this marathon.

10. Beth says

I just found your blog this week and have been stalking daily :)

Yoga is amazing! Its always the first thing to be dropped from a busy schedule for me, but its so worth it. I agree that it makes running easier and more fluid. It also helps the post-run recovery. Cheers, B

11. ShutUpandRun says

I'm a huge yoga fan, been doing it long before I started running. I think it really keeps you stretched out, grounded, strong and balanced.

So..I have those same tights. Will you wear them while running when it gets colder or just after? I usually wore them during runs, but maybe after would be better.

12. Cynthia O'H says

I'm itching to add yoga to my schedule. Right now, I can barely keep up with what's on my plate. Perhaps in the spring….
    Tempo runs and a few running buddies have made a huge difference for me this summer. I've got CEP socks and Sugoi tights on my list as "wants – or needs".

13. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says

soooo hear you on the yoga…and I loved Bikram yoga, it kicked my A$$! it's def on my backburner for off season!;-)

14. Silly Girl Running says

Thanks for the advice! I will try to fit yoga into my training regime. I'm pretty sure it will improve my running!

15. Caratunk Girl says

I am working on making yoga a habit now in the offseason so it stays with me through IM training. Glad to hear it helps!

16. Happy Feet 26.2 says

Girl – I am totally on board with the yoga. I've been at it for several years. I go to 1, sometimes, 2 classes a week. I think it's great for injury prevention, helps me to be as flexible as a runner can be, who goes to yoga only 1-2 times a week. I never get really good at it, but it helps so much.

I'm upping my mileage this time around. Can't say yet whether it's "working" or not, but I'm enjoying it, and I think I'm getting stronger. Will let you know later.

17. The Green Girl says

I'm thrilled to hear the yoga/Pilates is working for you!

When I read stuff like this, I can't help but stop and wonder why I can't seem to get myself to like yoga, too, but then I remember how angry and frustrated I was when I was going to yoga and I have to remind myself that yoga does not work for me. Heh!

18. LMC says

I glad that you're doing yoga and that it has helped on your long runs! Good for you! I can't seem to find a yoga session that works for my current schedule. In the meantime, I stretch pretty much every day which, while it's not yoga, has improved my flexibility. Have a great week!

19. La Historiadora de Moda says

I think more cross training (biking and yoga mainly) have been really helping me overall during this training cycle. I'm definitely recovering from my long runs more quickly than I did last time.

20. Meg says

I totally agree about the recovery tights and socks!! I once had calf cramps for hours and once I put on my tights, they stopped and I could sleep. They are amazing!

21. Candice @ I Have Run says

I need to add yoga to my workouts. I think it would help with the injury prevention part of things. During this marathon training, my core workouts have really seemed to help my form.

22. Christina says

I have the SKINS recovery and love them. When I wore them for marathon training I didn't have a lot of soreness or tireness. It should start cooling off in a couple weeks and I'll pull them out again (I have to find where I put them).

23. Gina Marie Dunn says

Love your blog! I have incorporated a weekly yoga routine (sometimes 2xs) into my training over the past 6 mos. and have definitely noticed improvement in my speed, endurance and overall clarity during my runs. This , combined with a healthier diet, has made me reach the top of my game physically and I have been running for the past 5 yrs. It's like it helped me break through a wall and I love the other side! In fact, I'm liking my yoga practice so much, I'm thinking of transitioning from a die-hard runner into a yogi who runs recreationally. There, I said it. :)