So long, Sydney

So long, Sydney

Does anyone remember that song “I did a bad, bad thing?” It keeps playing in my head, thanks to the way my legs are feeling post-bush run. I think that event was just out of my league and now my legs are paying for it. I’m still having trouble walking down stairs, ala post-marathon. But this was only a training run and I still have a lot of marathon training ahead of me.

I’m doing all I can to recover–went for a swim yesterday and today ran a ridiculously slow 30 minutes. Still hurting, though. Tomorrow I will try for an hour of easy running, and then it’s on to the airplane. Wednesday I will try for an easy spin on the bike, which often does the trick. I wouldn’t be so concerned if I hadn’t missed most of the first week of training when we arrived because I was sick. That makes two weeks lost if I can’t get back on track by week’s end.

On to other things–I’m really sad to be going home. This has been a fabulous trip. You know how some places have a way of working their way into your heart? That’s how I’m feeling about Sydney. Things I will miss:

• Waking up every day with a view of the harbor
  • Taking ferries for transportation everywhere
  • Swimming in an outdoor, 50-meter saltwater pool, in winter (and did I mention this is the pool they used for the 1956 Olympics?)
  • Being in the midst of a culture that embraces the outdoors and fitness
  • Spending time with my kids without the interruptions of work, school, and other activities

Things I am looking forward to at home:

• Getting back to running with my friends
  • Seeing my pets
  • Sleeping in my own bed
  • My dishwasher, large washing machine, and other creature comforts

You might notice that the return plane ride is NOT on my list…so dreading it. But a necessary evil.

I’m hoping to come back again some day and check out other areas of this great country. Australia, you’ve been a fantastic host!

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. Petraruns says

Be gentle with yourself – you have SO much training in the bag that you can afford to step back. Even missing 2 weeks is not going to be that bad – you have been training strong since and you will be back at it soon enough. Have a safe journey home.

2. Char says

Don't you just wish that airplanes were replaced by teleportation machines?!! Next time you're down under you should visit a little further north. The natives in Brisbane are reported to be fairly friendly.

3. Fran says

Have a safe flight home.

Take it easy on the legs, give them the rest they need and I'm sure missing two weeks won't interfer with your schedule as you are already a strong runner.

4. ajh says

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I would love the views, the time with my family, and what fun to take the ferries everywhere.

5. abbi says

Take it easy to recover from the tough race and hope the trip home goes well…I'm sure your own bed will feel wondeful, especially after that long flight!

6. Running and living says

Try some compression! it works wonders for me!
    That run will help you a ton come marathon day. Recovery will happen!

7. lindsay says

I can't believe your trip is over already!! Time flew and I wasn't even throne having fun :) Safe travels home.

8. Ewa says

It is so good you did not have to leave right after that race. Your joints would have stiffened up on the plane really bad. Still, try some plane exercises.
    I so want to go to Australia. We went to New Zealand and I am totally in love with that country but Australia is such a huge place I could never decide which places to visit. Maybe one day…
    Glad you had a good time.

9. Marlene says

Wow, that trip went by quick! probably moreso for you. ;)

I hope your legs are recovering so the flight home isn't too uncomfortable!

10. Jennifer says

Wow! So fast, but you had an excellent time. Remember to get up and stretch on the plane and have a safe trip home!

11. NY Wolve says

I can't believe you are headed back — it seems like just yesterday that you were headed there!

And all of those things are amazing — and it is winter there also! Imagine the outdoor culture in summer.

12. Pat says

Looking forward to having you home! Be cautious with your recovery…missing a little training now beats missing a lot of training due to injury. I know you'll be smart!

13. Pam says

That must have really been one hell of a course if it was out of YOUR league!

Hope you get some of your soreness worked out before you have to endure that long plane ride home! Even if I haven't done anything, just sitting on a plane makes me stiff!

Safe travels!

14. skierz says

Love it! Sounds like that run was on good training race! Still sore, ouch! Have a safe and happy flight home!

15. Angie Bishop says

safe travels to you and your family!
    You have made a good case for visiting that poisonous place. Maybe if I stuck to the city I would not have several heart attacks with my 4 hyper accident prone male spawn :)

16. Cynthia O'H says

Get in the water again when you're home. A ice bath might help too. After being in Australia, I'm sure you can handle those cold temps.

17. RunWithKate says

Sounds like all in all you had a fantastic time. I hope your transition back to reality goes smoothly. I always have a rough time upon my return.

18. MCM Mama says

I love Sydney. I would have been happy to move there if it hadn't been so far from my family.

Have a safe trip home and make sure you move as much as possible during the flight.

19. Johann says

Glad you had such an enjoyable trip. Take it easy and recover well. Remember this recovery makes you stronger. Good luck on the plane…

20. Dash says

Glad you had fun, I'd love to go to Sydney some day! Sorry you are still hurting from your super 35k race, but after the 24 hour (well, feels like it…) plane ride, you'll probably be ready to tackle another insane race! ;) Welcome back!

21. Candice @ I Have Run says

What an adventure you had!! Good luck with the plane ride and enjoy sleeping in your own bed!!

22. Jill says

You're going to be feeling great again when your feet land on the good ole USA soil!! You can't NOT run a race like that across the big blue pond, so don't regret it!! Hope you have safe travels home!! oh, and do you ever take L-Glutamine post-tough run?

23. ModernMom says

I think I messed up the word verification. I wonder how often I do that? Ha
    What I tried to say was:
    Have a nice flight home, try day dreaming about that dishwasher waiting for you. That should help pass the time. :)