Does anyone remember that song “I did a bad, bad thing?” It keeps playing in my head, thanks to the way my legs are feeling post-bush run. I think that event was just out of my league and now my legs are paying for it. I’m still having trouble walking down stairs, ala post-marathon. But this was only a training run and I still have a lot of marathon training ahead of me.
I’m doing all I can to recover–went for a swim yesterday and today ran a ridiculously slow 30 minutes. Still hurting, though. Tomorrow I will try for an hour of easy running, and then it’s on to the airplane. Wednesday I will try for an easy spin on the bike, which often does the trick. I wouldn’t be so concerned if I hadn’t missed most of the first week of training when we arrived because I was sick. That makes two weeks lost if I can’t get back on track by week’s end.
On to other things–I’m really sad to be going home. This has been a fabulous trip. You know how some places have a way of working their way into your heart? That’s how I’m feeling about Sydney. Things I will miss:
- Waking up every day with a view of the harbor
- Taking ferries for transportation everywhere
- Swimming in an outdoor, 50-meter saltwater pool, in winter (and did I mention this is the pool they used for the 1956 Olympics?)
- Being in the midst of a culture that embraces the outdoors and fitness
- Spending time with my kids without the interruptions of work, school, and other activities
Things I am looking forward to at home:
- Getting back to running with my friends
- Seeing my pets
- Sleeping in my own bed
- My dishwasher, large washing machine, and other creature comforts
You might notice that the return plane ride is NOT on my list…so dreading it. But a necessary evil.
I’m hoping to come back again some day and check out other areas of this great country. Australia, you’ve been a fantastic host!