Sick in Sydney

So here I am, on the other side of the world, sitting on the couch in my PJs at 10:30 in the morning. So bummed.

I felt pretty bad when I woke up yesterday, so I skipped any attempt at running–I’ve learned that lesson the hard way too many times. My husband had to go into the office, so I took the kids to the aquarium–it’s an awesome one and they totally enjoyed it. We took a couple of ferries to get there, another bonus in their world. By the time we were headed home, though, I was just done in. I hit the sofa by 5, hubs cooked us dinner, and I was in bed again by 7 last night.

I slept 12 hours last night and was really hoping that all I was fighting was jet lag, but I definitely think it’s more than that. All I want to do is curl up and sleep today. Thankfully it’s Saturday so hubs took the kids out and about. His last words to me before they left–I feel bad. Uh, no, we can’t both be sick here!

I can easily see how this happened. We had 3 days in between our trip to the Adirondacks and coming here. I burned my candle at both ends those days to pull it all together, and then throw in the long trip and lack of sleep, and there you have it.

Like all good runners, I’m of course worrying about missing my training. Just have to let the logical side take over though–I’ve got a good base and I haven’t had a cut-back week since mid-June, so I can afford to miss some. And I kind of need some energy to be able to hang with the kids all week next week when my husband is working.

So sit on the sofa I will do. Drinking lots of water, tea, and eating soup. I have to salvage this trip!

Comments

1. (((Lots and lots of hugs)))
    I really hope you will get better soon. You are strong and fit and whatever bug is bugging you it has no chance.

2. Uh oh. Man-o-Man do I know what it's like to miss training – I haven't been able to run since June 23rd. When I complained to to my Coach he said, "Relax, your fitness will come back fast". It's exactly what I needed to hear. Get well soon.

3. RockStarTri says:

Traveling long distance always messes me up physically. Recovery from the travel and I hope you feel better quickly.

4. Running and living says:

Hrr, so sorry! But you'll get through it, and maybe you are feeling better by now!

5. ShutUpandRun says:

Oh I hate that for you. Sucks to be sick while travelling. Feel better soon.

6. Oh, what a bummer! I really hope it's a quick here-and-gone bug so you can enjoy the rest of your vacation (and international training).

7. I hear you. Get well fast!

8. Beginner Tri Baby says:

That stinks! I hope you rested well and are feeling better.

Missing training stinks but you will be back at it soon! Take Care of You!

9. Angie Bishop says:

BOOOOOO on being sick!! Heres to a speedy recovery and a fun time soon with good health!! And here to no one else getting the bug too :)
    Hang in their friend!

10. Aw, that's a bummer! I hope you recoup quickly enough to enjoy more of the trip. Get some rest!

11. Oh no you poor thing. Did you need me to get you anything? Hahaha, I can say that now, we aren't too far away.

12. Cynthia O'H says:

Travelling great distances can take its toll on us. You are in great shape, though, so the time off will not effect you in the long run (pardon the pun). Enjoy your holiday and don't fret the running. You'll bounce back as soon as your back on this continent.
    Feel better.

13. oh bummer!! hope you feel better soon and can get caught up on the sight seeing!! sounds like an amazing place to be.

14. I hope it's just one of those 24 hr viruses. Take care.

15. Get well soon!

16. Black Knight says:

Worrying about the missing training is the nightmare of every runner. Get well soon and don't worry, you will run faster than before.

17. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Oh, no! That's a total bummer! I hope you get to feeling better soon! Take your vitamins, too!

18. Caratunk Girl says:

That sucks!!! I hope you feel better really soon and that no one else gets the bug. Hopefully with some rest you can bounce back and get in a few down under runs…Well wishes.

19. Oh, you poor thing! Hope you kick the bug to the curb quickly and feel better soon!

20. Feel better! Rest and relax and take some time, like you said you have a good base and I bet you'll feel better soon. Have another tea!

21. hopefully you'll feel much better after resting!!

22. sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. rest up and get better!

23. Now that really sucks! Get well soon!

24. Not to mention being in a plane for a gazillion hours with everyone and their billions of germs. :(

Hope you feel better quick!!!

25. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Oh, I'm so sorry that you're sick! I hope you start to feel better soon!

26. Sorry to hear your feeling sick! Hope you feel better soon x

27. RunWithKate says:

BUMMER!!! Get well soon. Enjoy Sydney!

28. Oh no, I hope you feel better soon. I know what it's like. It seemed I always got sick one or two days into my vacation. Take care of yourself and don't push too hard, get some rest and enjoy your time in Sydney.

29. That's a bummer that you got sick while you are in Australia. Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon and you will be able to explore the beauty of Australia.

About your training: you said it yourself. You got a good base and a week of no training won't do you harm.

Take care of yourself and big hug.

30. Awww man I'm so sorry you're sick! Really hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy your time there.

31. Hope the rest of it turns out well for you. Will be praying for you to have a speedy recovery with your illness. I remember when I flew to the PH, which I will be going to again next year, I was out for a day or two. Something about being on a plane with a bunch of different people I guess. Take care, and look forward to hearing more later. Hope you can get a run in soon.

32. Oh no! Feel better and rest up so that you get better for the rest of your vacation.

33. So sorry you are sick! Rest, rest, rest! You deserve it. Hope you feel better soon and enjoy your vacation.

34. Oh goodness, girl! I hope you are feeling better by now and enoying all the awesome sights in Sydney!

35. Sorry to read this…never fun to be sick period, but away from home is worse. I hope that a few days rest will have you back out there enjoying the sites with the kids!

Smart move to take a short running break…with your strong base, it'll only do you good. Hugs.

36. Oh no! I hope you feeel better soon!!!

37. Christine says:

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon, so you can explore Sydney!!

38. oh boo!! hope it's nothing a little extra sleep can't fix :( you need to live it up over there!