Aussies are bad-ass

Aussies are bad ass

FINALLY–got out for a run. Went over the harbor bridge, past the opera house and through the botanical gardens for about 10 miles total. Just gorgeous. The whole time I kept thinking about how lucky I am to be able to take in sites through a run.  I also had a chance to see plenty of Australians pounding the pavement, which leads me to this observation–

Meaning no disrespect to my fellow Americans, (or any other nationality for that matter) but seriously, Aussies are tough! They really do make us seem wimpy. Consider:

Exhibit A: It’s winter here, but their outdoor swimming pools are still open to the elements and full of swimmers.

Exhibit B: At home, most runners I know would be dressed in capris, hats, long sleeves and gloves for their early-morning runs in these temperatures. Not the Aussies–haven’t seen a single pair of gloved hands, a hat, or anything other than shorts. In fact, I’ve seen plenty of singlets, something we usually save for mid-summer.

Exhibit C: At the beach the other day, I witnessed swimmer after swimmer out in the middle of the ocean doing serious distance, in serious chop, at a serious pace. Way braver than I am!

Exhibit D: This week they’ll elect a new Prime Minister. One of the candidates, Tony Abbott, recently completed an Ironman. I like Pres. Obama and everything, but last time I checked, he was a smoker who played the occasional game of basketball. ‘Nuf said.

I don’t know if it’s in their DNA, in the water or what, but I’m hoping to take home some of what they’ve got!

pin it button Aussies are bad ass

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. Running and living says:

Wow, I love them already! Glad you are feeling better and up and about enjoying yourself!

2. We are bad-ass! (but I'll secretly admit to you that I wear capris, long-sleeve tops and gloves at times)

3. LOL, I love it. Never been classed as a bad ass, but I'll take it. So glad you finally got to get out for a run and take in some of our sites.

4. DC's mayor is a serious triathlete. But that is cool about the Prime Minister or the guy who is running for it!

5. How awesome is it to be able to experience such a great new country and culture! Good to hear that you are feeling better and able to get out and enjoy it! Keep lovin'it and keep sharing your adventures!

6. RunWithKate says:

Those bad ass aussies! We can learn a little something from them!

7. Glad you're feeling better…you look pretty bad ass yourself in your shorts! I guess it's already rubbing off on you :)

8. Guess you'd better start running in a singlet or running bra if you want to truly become bad ass as well. ;o)

9. La Historiadora de Moda says:

I'm glad that you're feeling better and that you got a run in! I hope we get to see more pictures of your trip and of those bad-ass Aussies.

10. The Green Girl says:

Aw, I'm so glad you are feeling better.

Sounds like you are having lots of fun in bad-ass Australia!

11. It's great to hear that your bad ass self is feeling up to getting out there.

If you find out whatever they have is in the water, maybe you could bring some home for us? :)

12. great pic. I feel refresed just looking at you! good post!

13. Glad that you've been able to get out there! Hope you enjoy your time:)

14. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says:

It is interesting to see how other people live their day to day lives differently have Americans. It really makes you think about what "we" think is important.

Just in case, drink lots of water. Maybe you'll catch their attitude! ;-)

15. Angie Bishop says:

yep, drink lots of that water. I know I would if I were there. I am afraid of Australia. They have loads of poisonous critters there that creep me out. I would think they would all have to be bad asses to share space with them!!!
    Didn't know that about Tony Abbott! Cool :)

16. Cynthia O'H says:

Wow, if I wasn't already sold on the Aussie accent, that definitely convinces me that Aussies are fine people!

17. Well, you're there with the best of them! So cool that you got out there for a run!

18. I live in San Diego – I'm the biggest wimp there is.

19. I love that pic!

20. They are tough indeed! Although I dislike Bush very very much at least he was runner (wasn't he?)

It must have been a great run for you, running in such a special place.

21. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

Love running in new places. Great way to really take in the scenery. Love your observations! Can't argue with any of them. Have fun!

22. Nice post! Us South Africans and the Aussies are always competing to see who is the most bad-ass. I think it comes from SA and AUS competing at the highest level in rugby and cricket. And then we share the seasons at the same time of the year plus very similar weather conditions.

23. Glad to see you up and at 'em! What better way to see the area than on foot, up close and personal?! :)

If you figure out a way to bottle some of that badassery, would you send some my way, please?

24. Kovas Palubinskas says:

Best way to learn a new city and see the sites, meet the people. Nice run.

25. You are BAD-ASS too! Glad you're feeling better. Try to bring some of that bad-assedness home for the rest of us.

26. 10mi! So jealous. I bet the cooler weather is a nice change from
    back home. Bring home enough Aussie BA to share – you definitely would not see me in an outdoor pool/ows this time of year!

27. Glad you're feeling better and taking in the sites! And they do sound pretty bad-ass….could you send me a bottle of the water :)

28. Glad you were finally able to get out and enjoy some Aussie running!

29. New zealanders are even better! ;)

So happy you got to get out there and run.

30. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

Cool background in that pic … almost looks like a big wave coming up behind you from that angle!

Our TX Gov is a Triathlete and rumor has it he might be making a run at the White House in 2012. What are the temps like in the Winter over there?

31. Nice run! I bet it was beautiful. I'm glad to hear (see?) you're feeling better.

32. Totally cool. I love running on vacation, even though I rarely do it. Great job!

33. They alos enjoy wearing speedos recreationally, I'm not sure if that's tough or mentally deficient. Remember it began being populated as a penal colony…they are the offspring of british criminals.

34. Runners Fuel says:

Those are some brave people. Swimming in the winter…WOW!

35. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I always heard Aussie puts out some serious athletes.

36. Glad you're feeling better, or at least well enough to get a 10 mile run done! I'll bet there isn't an obesity epidemic in Australia either. But, I still would not swim in the winter time! :)

37. Caratunk Girl says:

Aussies are tough!! Check out some of the top tri pros! Craig Alexander! Miranda Carefree (I think I spelled that wrong, but she is miss, "I never ran a marathon before and came in 2nd pro woman my first time at Kona")

38. I have a dear, dear friend who lives in Brisbane – she is one tough cookie so it must be true to all Aussies – ha (though she is American, by birth!) Glad you felt better to at least get in a run!! Yayyyyy!

39. Seals the deal… i must visit australia. So glad you are feeling better and got to enjoy the sites!! And yes, obama…not exactly the perfect example of health and fitness.

40. Good people to be around! Sounds like you are enjoying yourself! :)

41. Happy Feet 26.2 says:

Awesome! So glad you were able to explore on foot.

42. Petraruns says:

Love that. And bear in mind there are SHARKS in those waters… Badass indeed!

43. Wise Woman says:

awesome! Why I feel the need to proclaim Houstonites badass, I dunno…BUT, our winters sound a little colder than Aussie winters, and our girls swim outdoors all year long too. Move to Houston!