A Cruel Joke

That’s what my body is playing on me right now. Remember when I first got to Australia I had a fever and had to miss several days of training? Well, that ugly virus has reared its head again. I’ve been home since very late Tues. night and have yet to get a decent night’s sleep. And now I have a sinus infection coupled with another fever.

Yesterday morning was horrible–I seriously thought my head was going to explode. I had to take my daughter to school orientation at 9, which was a scramble just to get out the door. Both kids are still sleeping much later than normal and I was completely out of it. Sat through the orientation in a daze, dropped both kids with neighbors and headed to the minute clinic, where I was prescribed antibiotics and Mucinex D to get rid of all the fluid in my head. I called hubby to come home from work to take over with the kids for the afternoon and I spent the rest of the day in bed.

You’d think that as sick and exhausted as I am I would have slept last night. But no, I’ve been up since 1:30. Today my plan is to not allow myself to nap to see if that will get me back on track tonight. All I know is that I need to get over this, somehow. I think an acupuncture treatment will be on my schedule this week.

Just to make things worse, the doctor told me not to run until I feel 100 percent better–not 80, not 90–or I would be back to square one. Yeah, feeling really great about my 1/2 marathon in two weeks and my November marathon.

Ok, that’s my sleep deprived rant for the day. Hopefully we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled program in a few days.

In other news–MCM Mamma was kind enough to offer me a guest post slot on her other blog, DC Metro Mom. Go check it out my post, and her great blog, here.

I’ve also added a new web site:  MissZippy Coaches. I just put up a set of FAQs for first time marathoners. Go on over, check out the site, and feel free to press that follow button!

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. Oh no you poor thing. That's horrible. I hope you feel better really soon and get back to your training for your half. That acupuncture sounds like a great idea.

2. What a drag! Get better soon! I hate when anything keeps me from running especially because running is what makes me feel the best. Any way, all world travelers deserve some extra down time. Cheers!

3. Aww I'm sorry, it's so incredibly frustrating isn't it. I've been ill this week too and I'm really holding back training but I'm so frustrated as I had a bad leg last week and had planned my wonderful return to running this week! Hope it's not too bad riding it out and that you're better really soon.

4. HOpe you feel better FAST! can't wait to check out the new blog!

5. Bummer that you are sick again! Hope it passes quickly!

Thank you SO MUCH for your first time marathoners post!!! This is invaluable!!

6. Ugh…how frustrating. Hope you feel better quickly.

I'll definitely be checking out your new site…considering I'm hoping to be a first-time marathoner soon :)

7. RockStarTri says:

Jet lag sets you up for so much fun and joy. Feel better soon!

8. No worries about your half, you have plenty of fitness built up to do well on that and consider this a "taper." I sure hope you can get some sleep soon and get back to feeling 100%!

9. Oh man, that really sucks. Best thing unfortunately is to listen to the doctor and get this out of your system for good. Hang in there!

10. The Green Girl says:

Oh, no! Take care of yourself, Miss Zippy. ::hugs::

11. Andrew Opala says:

that's crappy – a good attitude will help in the recovery! Keep your chin up

12. oh that is awful and so frustrating! get well soon!

13. ShutUpandRun says:

Such a drag. So sorry. Feel better soon.

14. AM-GoalsfortheWeek says:

I know your physical side is bringing you down, but it looks like your writing side is continuing to bloom. cool!;-0

15. Hope you get to feeling better soon. You will be out and at it in no time. I will check out that site. thanks.

16. Oh man I'm sorry you're sick again! How frustrating! Hope you feel better soon!!

17. So sorry you are sick again! That stinks! Hope you feel 100% quickly!!!

18. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I hope that you recover quickly. Get some rest and hang in there.

19. that really sucks that you're still sick. I'm sure all the sleep depravation isn't helping, feel better soon…and I'm off to check out your new site, very timely for me!!!

20. So sorry to hear you're sick again and hope you feel better soon. I also think you have to listen to your doctor otherwise it might come back to you again this virus.

Get well soon!

21. La Historiadora de Moda says:

Oh, no! I'm really sorry to hear that you're ill again! I know it sucks, but you should just rest and drink lots of fluids. I hope you make a full recovery swiftly!

22. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I hope you get better soon

23. Cynthia O'H says:

On a better note, though, that awesome trail run that you had in Australia can be your last long run. Then, when you're up, you can do a few shorter ones before the half.
    Feel better, my friend.
    p.s. Great idea about the new marathoners. I'll check it out.

24. Hope you will recover soon. You are a strong and very fit person so you will be running in to time. Still it sucks that you are not feeling well again. HUGS.

25. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

I'm so sorry you're sick again! Rest as much as you can and get better soon! Oh, and I like your coaching blog! :)

26. Feel better soon…I'm currently facing a similar problem. Don't feel good but not running sounds terrible!

27. I went to the min clinic last time I was sick and they recommended Mucinex D. Hope you feel better soon.

28. Caratunk Girl says:

SUCKY! Get better soon. That stinks. Congrats on your new training site though!!

29. That bites! I hope you feel 100% soon.

30. Feel better soon.I hope by the time you read this you are already feeling better.

31. Aww yuck! I hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

32. I know you must be frustrated about being sick again. Hopefully, by now, you are on the mend, but don't push it. Speaking from experience, a third relapse sucks! It is worth the extra days of rest to make sure you're 100%. Get well soon!

33. Awwww man, that totally blows. I'm so sorry!! I know that sleep is your #1 priority to get healthy and once you do, the rest will all fall into place with the training. Hoping you feel 100% VERY SOON!

34. Here is a different perspective. As an avid runner who hasn't run since June 23rd – almost 9 weeks ago. This is a tiny, miniscule bump in the road.

35. Hope you're feeling better soon!

36. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

Oh no, so sorry you aren't feeling better yet….what a terrible virus. I am hoping you get better real soon!

37. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Make sure you don't take the Mucinex D at night since the pseudoephedrine keeps you up
    Signed,
    Your friendly pharmacist

38. Petraruns says:

Oh sweetie – I hope you feel better soon and LISTEN to the doctor – knock this thing on the head for once and for all.

39. funderson says: