Swapping one race for another

I have certain races I love, that I go back to year after year. Probably top on that list is the Annapolis 10-miler at the end of August each year. It’s a fabulous event–5,500 people (just right), a beautiful course throughout Annapolis’ scenic neighborhoods, and a real challenge. Just about all of my running partners do this one, so it’s a fun day for us together. It was my first 10-miler ever, and I’m pretty sure I’ve done it six or seven times now.

It’s also a really hot day, each and every year. Ok, I think one year it was actually a bit cooler, but I was pregnant and ran it s-l-o-w-l-y, so that doesn’t count. I digress. I was signed up for the race again this year and just made the decision to pull out and transfer my number to a friend. I’m going to be returning from Australia just a few days shy of the race, so I can’t imagine I’d have a very good race. I’d be going from winter to Maryland’s extreme heat and humidity for one. I’d also be wrestling with jet lag still, so I’d be dog tired. Just can’t imagine that would equal a good time and I really don’t need another bad race this summer!

Run it easy and just for fun you say? I wish I was one of those people who can do that and enjoy myself. But I at least know myself well enough to know that I want to compete when I run, so I won’t do it that way.

I’m sad to miss this race this year, but there is a silver lining. Now I can find a 1/2 marathon to do between now and my November marathon. I’m considering the Parks 1/2 marathon in nearby Montgomery County–any of you DC-area bloggers doing it? Anyhow, I’ve wanted another crack at a 1/2 this year and now I’ll get it, so that’s a pretty good trade-off, don’t you think?

Don’t forget my Ryders eyewear giveaway here.

pin it button Swapping one race for another

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. ShutUpandRun says:

Sounds like a good plan. Can't imagine hopping off a plane from Australia and running in the heat and humidity. Plans were meant to be changed, right? Good luck finding another race.

2. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

Probably a wise decision. I miss Annapolis – such an awesome town – you just made me remember an extremely funny New Years Eve in Annapolis (2003 maybe?). You could always just go an volunteer and still get to experience all the fun (-:

3. Staci Dombroski says:

I was just talking to my husband about wanting to go to Austrailia. I think you made a great decision!

4. Good plan, now you can find a fun race that will be new for you, and manage to do it in full race mode.

5. TRI-james says:

I can't run a race either. I have to race it.

6. Marlene says:

Sounds like the right call. You will be bagged after your trip/flight!

Have you tried finding any races in Oz?

7. I LOVE the Annapolis 10 Miler!! I've done it every year since 2006. It's got to be hard to pull out of a race, but it sounds like you made the right decision. Knowing what the course is like, there is NO WAY I'd be running it if I were you.

I'm doing the Rock & Roll Philly in September, which is a great race, but very very large, so it depends on what type of race you're looking for. Good luck picking out a half!! :)

8. Perfect decision!

9. Good choice. You can always do the Annapolis again next year.

10. A half is always a good trade off. Sounds like good thinking.

11. blissfulrunner says:

Sounds like you made the right call, though yes, totally disappointing. I've participated in the Baltimore Running Festival in some form or another so many times, that it's become a ritual of sorts (even if it's not my favorite race!). I've never heard of the Park 1/2 before. If you end up registering I'll be looking forward to your recap!

12. Cynthia O'H says:

You're smart to transfer your entry because I know you would push yourself to your max. I would.

I've also juggled some things around for the fall. I switched one half for another (same date) to keep the driver happy and am now "planned out".

A half is exactly what you need and a new course is great for developing focus.

13. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I wouldnt run a race that close to getting back into town from abroad. I think its a wise choice, and I am not one to pass up on races.

14. Angie Bishop says:

I love that you know yourself well enough not to try and run easy!
    That is going to be hard enough trying to acclimate let alone run a race so again good call :)
    Running any races down under????

15. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

yeah I gotta say kicking it up in Aussieland is probably worth forgoing a race to ensure you can rest up when you get home

16. I think thats a really good idea. You will have acclimated to the coolness here and then have the jetlag and heat upon your return home.

17. Sometimes the planets just don't align. But a trip to Australia is worth missing a race for ?!!

18. I am doing the Parks Half. Of course I run most of thoe course on my normal long runs. It is mostly in the woods so super shady!!!

19. MCM Mama says:

What about the Wilson Bridge half in September? I'm thinking of running that one.

Have a great trip!

20. Rad Runner says:

This weekend in S.F. was the first time I was seriously forced to enjoy myself I debated it all weekend (and come race day i wanted to run all out) a unexpected EVENTFUL bathroom trip at mile 4ish threw me OFF… Ive never stoped to use the lil girls room, but when I got out I figured Id relax and enjoy the rest of the run, I was running over the Golden Gate bridge for goodness sake! When I finished I was quite surprised to realize I was only 3 minutes over my best time… If i would have not stopped, I don't think I would have felt the same about this race, I wouldn't have seen all the wonderful sights, or high-fived as many runners as I did :)

21. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Do you have any race recaps for the Annapolis race? My grandparents live there and I would love to combine a race trip and a visit.

22. Glad you listened to yourself and made a good choice. I'm sure you'll find a race to enjoy! good luck!

23. I think you made the right choice. I am very interested to see what half marathon that you decide to go with:)

24. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says:

Hey, you're coming back from Australia! you'll def be in the regrouping phase, and if you don't want to 'run for fun', then good call!;-)

25. I like to use smaller races as prep for the big one I'm training for…and though it was hard to go to the "for fun" mode, I did learn I really did enjoy this type of race and it's so less stressful. But I do miss the real racing and ready to get back to that soon.

26. I look forward to being seasoned enough to say I'm coming back for the second year to run a race. :) (Almost there…!)

27. Chris K says:

Sound plan to be sure. I tried running a marathon 3 days after returning from a China biz trip and I bonked my a#$@ off. And, being in a good space mentally is super important. You wouldn't have been.

28. I think you are smart. It would drive me crazy to not 'race'. Good luck finding a good half.

29. It's always fun to find a new race, and it will fit in nicely with your marathon training. I hope you find a good one!