Our common language

Last week when I was visiting family in Ohio, I sought out a local track workout so that I could keep my speed session up to par while away. I could have run it on my own, but it was more fun to run it with others. (Thank you MattyO for hooking me up!).

As I met up with the folks who were running track that morning–complete strangers–we quickly fell into easy conversation. We compared the number of marathons we had run, what we were currently training for, PRs, and what the athletic scene was like in their state versus mine. Never were we at a loss for words, as is sometimes common when you meet new people.

I love that running gives us this common language. It unites an incredibly diverse group of people, people who might not otherwise have much to do with each other. In my running group alone, we have a nutritionist, a massage therapist, a teacher, an accountant, an acupuncture student, and an astrophysicist, among others. Where else would such a diverse group come together?

The same can be said for the blogosphere. We all come at this from wildly different places and backgrounds, with differing opinions on how to train, race, and juggle it all.  But we all agree on one thing–our love of running.

Maybe basket weavers or quilters have the same experience due to their shared passion. I’m not sure. But I like to think that running is fairly unique. At the very least, I know I appreciate the world it has opened up to me.

Comments

1. Fran says

Great post!

I know what you mean. I have some co-workers whom I don't talk to about personal life but when it comes to running we can talk and talk.

I'm at a weight loss journey and in my private life I'm kind of alone in it. Most of my friends don't have to lose weight, some family members should definitely lose some but don't make an effort. Through my blog I can talk about my journey and find others who are on the same journey.

I love the blogging community!

2. Matty O says

Agree 100% with this. I have met soooo many people and been able to talk for hours with them. My last marathon we were talking the whole race about everything from what races we have done, to experiences/stories we have from running.

Good times.

Glad the group worked out for you :)

Thanks for the shout out!

3. Big Daddy Diesel says

Woooo you were in my neck of the woods, well sorta, sounds like up north by cleveland in Matty"s area.

I agree 100%, 95% of my friends either swim, bike, or run. Its our common bond, I can not always stay with Team Roll on charity rides, but I am always except with a another group I roll onto for the rest of the ride.

Its also why we blog, our co workers dont understand our lifestyle, yet strangers from across the world do, this is exactly why we blog

i love this post

4. Jon says

You know you have met a triathlete because within the first 5 seconds they have either told you or you are talking about going #2.

5. Marlene says

You're so right. I almost always feel an instant connection with every runner and/or blogger that I meet. Love it!

6. Molly says

Sometimes when I'm with running friends, we go into the other room to talk running, otherwise our husbands pick on us and our obsession.

7. Teamarcia says

Love this and you're so right. The friendship and camaraderie I've gained through the cyber world have been priceless.

8. S Club Mama says

I love this common language too. Even if I've never met someone, if they run or have a friend who runs, we have something to talk about. And I don't feel bad when I'm with my friends because I don't just talk talk talk about my kids (only).

9. Colleen says

You are so right. There's comfort in knowing that there are people out there who share the same passions and it's fun when you get to be surrounded by them! :)

10. Gracie (Complicated Day) says

So true, even for not-awesome runners like me :) plus I love nodding at the same early-morning runners every day. We don't actually know each other, but in a way we do.

11. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says

This is a great post, and is so true! It's one of the reasons I like blogging so much. Because we all tend to have common interests, it's a great place to bounce ideas off, state your fears/frustrations/triumphs, and gain awesome advice. :)

12. Kim says

So true. I have a few running friends that I might not have anything in common with if it wasn't for running.

13. Caratunk Girl says

Love this post – so true. I experienced something very similar in Lake Placid. I didn't know a soul, but everywhere I went the conversation was easy because of our common language/interests. Ha. Basketweavers…that is a good point/question. I wonder…

14. TRI-james says

It is a fraternity. The races are just our way of hazing.

I can always find a group of runners when travelling. You just have to hit the streets at 5AM.

15. Meg says

I just love the attitude of runners everywhere. As you said, we may be unique and different in every other way but running gives us this common bond. We all get it and encourage one another! I do love walking up to a new group of runners and knowing that we're on the same page…we are so fortunate!

16. Lisa says

I totally agree. When I'm out running and see other runners I feel some sort of bond with them, weird I guess. But I think we can all relate to one another when we run, share similar struggles, etc.

17. Julie says

i love the friendships that are made out of running. commonality is the key to relationships and running is a great one!!

18. racing dawn says

So so true. That is one of the best things about being a runner. You can go to any race, any state and make friends quickly. We've all experienced the ups and downs of running, both physical and mental, and it binds us together. Just another reason to love running!

19. blissfulrunner says

I had a similar experience on the NCR trail last weekend when I fell into pace with another runner. I swear I have never felt so elated. It really is a unique experience to run with someone you've never met.

20. Angie Bishop says

I agree completely!! I love to meet other runners out there. It makes me feel connected to something bigger than myself :)

21. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

you are sooooo right!! it's one of the resaons I feel comfortable trying new running groups or meeting bloggers at races

22. ajh says

I agree! I love blogging where other people want to talk about running racing etc as much as I do! I don't have runner friends (many) so it is a big plus for me! We are all so supportive of each other and excited for one another. We "get it."

23. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

True that! We are so lucky to have such a exciting common ground that brings us together whether in real life or in the blog world. I love it!

24. Running and living says

Runners/athletes are a different breed. Our passion is magnetic, and it attracts us. Love it!

25. LMC says

Totally agree! I always feel a connection to other runners. I guess that's why it is so much easier for me to talk to a stranger that is a runner. Great post!

26. Patrick Mahoney says

To be honest, I've been struggling to get more followers over at thatchandweave.blogspot.com, which is my basket weaving blog. I dunno know why.

27. Johann says

You are right and the Internet makes the world really small. I’m part of this whole blog world sitting in South Africa, but we still share the same passion, stories, pain and pleasure. The same happens when meeting strangers that are runners. We can all just talk and relate.

28. ann says

Totally know what you mean! I joined a running club and was terrified on the first group run. I didn't know ANYONE! During the run people said "hi", but one woman ran up next to me and we talked the whole run. Now I see her all over and we chat, I've met more runners, and finally feel like "one of them" and jump right into some of the conversations. Glad you had a great track workout!

29. Jill says

I couldn't have said it any better! I'd be lost without all the support and encouragement I've gotten through my running friends. Have a great weekend!!! :)

30. Viper says

I don't think the running and blogging worlds are unique, but I agree that both communities tend to be very welcoming. Congrats on finding a good group to run with while you were here. Cheers!

31. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says

Sharing a common passion tends to help make fast friends. I do think the running community is somewhat unique. I don't always find the same in other areas of my life; church, school or work simply having a shared thing (faith, children or occupation) does not seem to have the same effect. Runners are simply nice people.

32. Lorian says

Very cool! It makes it so comfortable when there is a common thread amongst strangers. Have a fabulous weekend!!

33. La Historiadora de Moda says

Such a great post! I do find that there's a similar kind of empathy and easy vibe with some other hobbyist as well, and it is easy to fall into conversations with other dog owners at a dog park. However, I do think the running community is one of the most welcoming!

34. Cynthia O'H says

You are absolutely right. It is so easy to fall into conversation with another runner, fast or slow, either face-to-face or through Internet. Something magical brings us together.

35. Chris K says

Oh no, the basket weaving and knitting blogs I read are CRAZY. You runners are so serious about your runs, races, PR's, intervals, etc. :-) BTW Miss, your comment about me "glowing" was funny. Thanks. Unfortunately, 10 minutes after your comment, my Doc called and confirmed my stress fracture :-(

36. ModernMom says

That really is cool! I don';t know if it the same for Basket weavers lol but have seen my HUbby fall in to conversation with complete groups of strangers all over the place about golf. It is wild!

37. Kelsey: the Blonde Bullet says

So true about the connection and community between bloggers. This post makes me think that I should get over my fear of finding a running group and just do it.

Thanks!

38. Lisa says

There definitely is a common language. In every group setting somehow conversations turn to running. Sometimes I wonder if I talk about running TOO much. But I have met so many people with this common language.

39. Petraruns says

Too true. It is a huge common thread that binds us together and the differences between us keep it interesting.