Keeping a tradition (sort of)

This weekend was supposed to be a shore trip for us, but with our pending Australia trip, we decided to bypass the beach and head to Ohio to get in a quick visit with family. I grew up on a lake there, and while my parents don’t have a house there any more, they still have friends who do. One was nice enough to offer to let us swim there while in town. My hope was that I could swim across the lake with my son, who is nine. That’s about the age I was when I first swam across, so I thought it would be really fun to share this experience with him.

My son is a great little swimmer–he’s been on summer swim team since he was five, so he’s very confident in the water. A swimming pool is different from a lake, however. Earlier this week when we discussed the swim, he asked if there were any rivers that fed the lake. I knew what he was getting at–he’s very up on his sharks and he was worrying that a bull shark might be in the lake. I assured him that there were no bull sharks in lakes in the middle of Ohio.

Keeping a tradition (sort of)

Keeping a tradition (sort of)Next question–mom, how big are the catfish in the lake? He watches the occasional episode of River Monsters where a biologist regularly pulls out 150-lb. catfish from fresh water. I again told him not to worry. So you can probably tell where this is going–we jumped in together and started our swim. He was doing just fine, keeping a good pace, but after a few hundred yards, he wanted back in that boat. I’m quite sure his imagination got the best of him! It’s too bad, he could have made the distance. But maybe another day.

I did finish the swim and loved every minute of being back in that cool, fresh water lake. As we approached shore both my son and daughter jumped in and swam the short way back. We also coaxed our dog Connor, a whippet, into the water–poor guy did this out of pure obedience to us. Let’s just say that whippets are not water dogs. As graceful as he is on land, he is a true fish out of water when trying to swim.

Keeping a tradition (sort of)

Don’t forget my CSN giveaway–it ends on Wednesday!

Comments

1. RockStarTri says:

I do a lot of salt water swimming and I've seen a large striped bass (>50lbs) swim within a foot of me once. It freaked me out a bit but since I had to swim in anyway, I got over it quickly. My kids routinely ask if I saw more "friends" while swimming :)

2. I'm fearful of lakes and fish too! Ahhh! I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in Ohio!

3. Angie Bishop says:

My dad told me when I was little and we were at Lake Kanopolis in Kansas that there were catfish big enough in the lake to swallow me whole……not a fan of lakes much :)

4. Love the pic of you and your son. I can't watch River Monsters because I already have enough trouble in open water, I sure don't need to imagine even scarier things!
    Glad you had such a nice weekend!

5. Matty O says:

Gotta love those inland lakes :) The catfish are very small here… watch out for the carp!

Have a nice time while you are here!

6. Running and living says:

So fun! It is awesome your son is such a great swimmer.

7. My imagination gets the better of me too :) Next time he will be able to swim the whole lot with you.

8. The Green Girl says:

I'm so excited about your Australia trip!

I'm glad you all had a good time at the lake.

9. Ah the dog is so cute :) We have a puppy of almost 6 months and we've tried to let her swim in the water recently and she loved it. But it's a Cairn Terrier which are known that they like swimming.

Your trip sounds great and I'm sure your son will swim with you all the way next time you're there.

10. FLATOUT JIM says:

There's no curing kid's imaginations. Not to worry, he'll be racing you across the lake soon.

11. Teamarcia says:

That is so great your son is so confident in the water. I am working hard to make sure my kiddos are the same way!

12. I'm just like your son, I always think about what could be lurking underneath the water.

My in laws live in Inlet, in the ADK, just outside of Old Forge, I love it up there!

13. EZEthan says:

Kids are too funny… at least he didn't get nipped by a fish, otherwise he may never get into a lake again!

14. ModernMom says:

LOL I'm with your son! I grew up swimming in rivers and lakes, and yet it only takes the thought of a wee fish touching me to send me screaming towards shore!

15. Um, I think I'd be in boat with your son, I don't care much for swimming long distances with the fishies. But sounds like a great weekend nevertheless, glad you had a nice family weekend!

16. Marlene says:

I love swimming in lakes, but I definitely get squeamish about the critters in there. Your son is brave for giving it a shot!

17. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

haha I'm like your son. I keep thinking a shark is going to get me in my open water swim

18. Congratulations on a great swim! It's so great you can share these things with your son, he'll be ready to become a river monster himself soon!

19. I have a water dog who isn't a fan of swimming. Weirdo. Looks like a refreshing swim!

20. Caratunk Girl says:

Nice swim! I prefer to swim in lakes. In oceans, the jaws theme plays in my head. BUT when I was your son's age, I was sure that the lake monster would get me, so I see where he is coming from!

21. A childhood buddy of mine had a cottage on Lake Berlin. I remember swimming to a little island across from their house. Fun times.

22. Aww your son sounds like a clever kid! Sounds like a fun weekend and a great experience to share :-)

23. Petraruns says:

What a lovely thing to do with your kids – and I'm sure your son will be across that lake soon!

24. Cynthia O'H says:

My son is also a water-boy. His imagination hasn't taken over the threat of water creatures yet – thank goodness!
    I'm sure yours will make it across the lake soon.

25. Wise Woman says:

love love love love the pic of Connor!!! Obviously of all of you as well…

26. hehe, I spend a lot of time at the beach and have yet to get over the fear that I'm going to have a run in with a shark. :) If a school of fish swims past me I head to the shore thinking they must be running from something big :)

27. What a great memory and I love the pictures. I just can't think about the fish when I'm lake swimming but it's hard to do. I'm sure it's harder for a little boy with an active imagination!

28. Christina says:

I can't swim well at all – if I see that I am venturing into the deeper end of the pool, whatever swimming skill I have literally walked out of the pool and back on land.
    I'm excited about your trip to Sydney! I went there with my parents when I was a teenager and loved it. Precious family moments. I am also very excited about you doing your runs there. It will be so cool. Do post lots of pictures and share with us.

29. Aww. I don't like swimming in anything but pools, either.

30. Big Daddy Diesel says:

LOL!! Luckly I dont have that fear, though I get nervous in the ocean about jellyfish