Hillacious!

Yesterday was one of those days that did NOT go as planned…and that is NOT my kind of day. I am a control freak and like to know when and where I’m doing things. But it was not to be.

My husband had to be in his office for a 2 a.m. conference call. Yes, that’s A.M.–his company is based in Finland and they have these quarterly conference calls involving folks from all over the world, thus the insane time. He never knows how long these calls will take, but we were both hoping he’d be back by about 5:30 or 6:00 and that I’d be able to go run.

I set my alarm for 5:00 in hopes it would happen. Got up, did my strength work, then sat down at the computer to get some work done. The kids were up by 7:30, so that took care of work time. They were in vacation bible school this week and a friend was scheduled to pick them up by 8:45. Still hoping the hubs would appear before then, but no.

Got the kids out the door at 8:45 and left out for my run. My plan all along was to do 10 on a very hilly course. But originally that would have been much earlier in the day and with some friends. Since it didn’t happen, I decided I would still stick to the plan. It was a great chance to push the hills. Ran nice and easy until I’d get to a hill and then I’d charge it. I haven’t done anything in the way of hill repeats lately, so this was a good alternative.

Even though it was much later, much hotter, and I was on my own, I feel like I pushed myself pretty well out there. My legs were tired all day until an evening swim, which loosened them up.

That run certainly was a stress-buster, one that I needed. Don’t forget my CSN Stores giveaway HERE.

Comments

1. FLATOUT JIM says

Gotta be flexible. I have started rides at 8:00 pm, with the sun already dropping below the horizon, just to get it in after soccer, lawn, etc.

Well done.

2. busyrunningmama says

Sometimes when our day doesn't end up like we planned it, it ends up a better day….. go figure ( I am a control freak too!!)
    Nothing like a "hillacious" workout to releive some stress!! Great job!! Glad u stuck to your plan and ran!

3. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says

Great job! Don't ya just love how the pool makes the legs feel so much better? I think it is even better than an easy spin! Have a good weekend!

4. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

Dang! I'm tired just reading about all you did yesterday. Nice hill run.

and yah, things don't always go according to plan. i'll be remembering that on Sunday;-)

5. Matty O says

i hate hill repeats… hate them. I am a bigger guy, they hurt going up and even more going down :(

Why does the pool do such wonders?!

Way to stick out the heat on the run!

6. Candice @ I Have Run says

Stress-buster runs are some of my favorites! Great job getting out there in spite of all the obstacles in your way!

By the way — I'm so excited for your upcoming travels. Running in Sydney will be amazing!

7. Petraruns says

Nice going on still getting that workout in despite the things working against you – well done!

Swimming sounds great after a day like that.

8. Jessica D says

Oh my… three work out sessions in one day, with a 5am start! Sleep deprivation alone would be enough to finish me off. Good work.

9. Meg says

You juggled and waited for your turn, that's the way it is as a mom, right?! I know we wouldn't have it any other way. At least we get to get out there and do it!
    I was surprised that your swim loosened you up when your legs were tired from running. With tired legs, I'm always afraid to go swimming because I feel like I'm going to totally waste my legs for the next day's run! I guess I need to give that a try.
    Happy Friday!!

10. Robyn says

Nice job on the hill! So awesome you ran even though the plan got a little messed up. It's good to be flexible.

11. Viper says

Congrats on a good run despite the circumstances. Sometimes going off schedule works out OK after all. Cheers!

12. Char says

You did well to get out there after your plans were thrown into disarray. I'll often just can those runs. And great job on the hills. Gotta love hills!

13. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says

Great job sticking to the planned run even though things didn't go your way. There is always such great satisfaction in overcoming those obstacles.

14. Cynthia O'H says

Runs like that leave me with such a feeling of strength and power. Nice work in getting it done!

15. Laura says

Good work! I hate it when stuff doesn't go to plan too, which is terrible in my family as my mum is ALWAYS late!

16. Jennifer says

Great job on the hills. Woot for that! I know what you mean about being a control freak, I really have to work hard to keep myself sane when things go crazy. Rest up, you deserve it!

17. Angie Bishop says

Thats a great idea and thanks for sharing. I need to do some hills to and I think charging them instead of a slow easy pace is what I need.
    Thanks for the inspiration!