Taper, how I love you!

Taper, how I love you!

You know how so often tapering can be sheer torture? You’re burning up with excess energy, you’re convinced you’re losing fitness, you just want to get the show on the road already? Well, none of that applies to me right now.

I am loving this taper week because it was badly needed. I haven’t raced since early May and, as a consequence, really ramped up my training. I’ve been diligent logging the miles, getting in my speedwork, etc. I have a 10-miler in Baltimore this weekend and I really want to have a good one. So I took my training right up to the line you don’t want to cross.

By about 10 days ago, my legs were feeling it. Somewhere along the way I think I slightly crossed that line. I had dead legs and really had to fight with myself mentally to back it off even earlier than I intended to. The dedicated part of me wanted to keep pushing, but the sensible side I don’t like to listen to told me to back it off already. So I started my taper a bit early and now my legs are beginning to feel better. Actually, on the track this morning, where I did an abbreviated workout, they felt downright good.

It’s going to be a hot and humid one on Saturday, but I feel like I am acclimated, finally. It’s also a tough course–one that was marked long last year–but I feel ready. I am excited to get to that starting line!

Don’t forget my SCAPE sunscreen giveaway here.

pin it button Taper, how I love you!

Comments

1. Matty O says:

Good luck this weekend! I am glad that you are sensible with your training and do not allow your head to push your body to injury!

2. Hi Zippy,
    You are going to do great in Baltimore this weekend! You always do so well at your 10 milers! If anyone can run a successful race in the heat and humidity it is you!! Good luck! I am glad that the legs are feeling strong and fresh:)

3. You were awesome on the track this morning and you are definitely ready to rock n' roll, no matter what the weather's like!

4. So glad you're having a good taper! Have a great time this weekend!!

5. Good luck on your race. I am just doing a 5k in Silver Spring this Saturday, but the start time isn't until 8am – which means it will be HOT!

6. Caratunk Girl says:

Dangling your toes on the edge of injury – so long as you do not fall off that edge – can lead to some of the best performances!! Enjoy the rest of your taper and best of luck this weekend I know you are going to do awesome!

7. Laura (also known as Angel31!) says:

Hope you have a brilliant race! I can't wait until I'm back out and running again, I hope my holiday gives my knee the rest it needs! x

8. yay for a happy post about a taper!! ;)

I can't wait to hear how it goes! You sound "ready". You are going to rock it!

9. You are very smart with your training.
    Good luck this weekend and enjoy.

10. Evolving Through Running says:

Sounds like you've got the taper figured out – and it's not always what was on paper, but rather combining that with the reality of how your body feels. You're going to tear it up this weekend!

11. Marlene says:

I think you know you're in good shape to race when you really feel READY for the taper. Rest up!

12. Have a good race!

13. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

The sensible voice won out? That deserves a big Kudos to you! You are gonna rock it this weekend!

14. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says:

Run strong in Baltimore this weekend. I'm in Richmond. Ugh, the heat and humidity will be a big factor. Just another challenge to overcome!

15. cute pic! glad your taper week is going well! You'll be awesome this weekend!

16. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says:

I finally get to train w/running, so I feel like i've been tapering for the past month! it was a lil' hard. good that it's a perfect fit for you right now. 10 miler in Boston…nice. go, go GO!

17. yay for taper! have a great race. I don't envy those of you with hot and humid temps! Good luck!

18. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Hooray for taper week! You are going to do great this weekend! :)

19. Maryland Girl aka Michelle says:

Have a great race! I am embracing the taper this week too.

20. blissfulrunner says:

Way to be prepared! I'd say I'll see you at the finish line, but that's a laugh as I'll likely finish a good 20-30 minutes after you. LOL. Hope you have a great race!

21. WOOHOO for tapering! have a great race this weekend!!

22. Jennifer says:

I have always appreciated my tapers too! Have a great rest of the week and a fabulous race this weekend!

23. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Good luck this weekend

I love the taper too, oh and recovery

24. Love the picture! :) Good luck in Boston!

25. good luck! Your week last week made me tired – good work keeping it all together

26. Angie Bishop says:

Sounds like you are going to rock that race lady!
    Have a great time in Boston :)

27. Three cheers for smart running! Nice job.

28. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

I'm not a favour of taper week either! Good luck on your race!

29. Hooray for feeling ready to head to that starting line. Enjoy the rest of your taper and happy running this weekend. You'll be awesome!

30. Best wishes this weekend with the 10 miler. Can't wait to see how you did. Tapering, haven't had that experience yet, but I know the principles behind it. They say that the 3 week taper before the marathon, if you are not ready by then, you can not get ready. Just relax and try your best, and walk i guess. lol. Have a good one, and have fun in Baltimore.

31. Good luck for Saturday, I'm looking forward to your recap :-)

32. Rad Runner says:

Look at you and your ADORABLE self in your little running skirt! Good luck on your upcoming 10 miler this weekend!
    xo Rad Runner!

33. Sounds like you're ready!

34. Sounds exactly what your body needs…a little resty. Now go kick some serious booty on Saturday, you deserve it!!

35. I hit DC tomorrow and I am not acclimated at all. Ran this morning and it was 38 degrees.Have worn long sleeves my last 3 runs, usually two layers! Yikes! I"m in trouble!

36. MCM Mama says:

Have a great race! I'm kinda glad my race season is mostly over. It's just too darn hot these days.

37. Chris Korn says:

You know what's even better than a taper? Your first run after the race when you can leave the Garmin at home. No worry about pace, distance, time, etc. Just run.

38. Cynthia O'H says:

Have a great race. I haven't been able to log much mileage this spring and am hoping to be ready for a 10 miler in July. At least, I don't have to worry about the heat – yet.

39. Good Luck with the taper!
    I am excited to hear about the race!

40. FrauSte says:

Have a good race!!

41. Good to hear you've gotten used to the heat, that's huge. Hope you have a great, fun race!

42. Chloƫ says:

I would LOVE to have you as one of my featured runners! Stop by if you have the time, for a chance to do so :)

43. Good luck, you'll be great!

44. Candice @ I Have Run says:

Way to listen to your body! I love taper week too!!

Good luck and have fun!

45. Good luck…you are going to rock this race!

46. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

Tapering. So good for ya, so hard mentally though. As many marathons i've tapered for and still always feel like a crazy person with way too much energy to burn but can't. You've been one busy lady.

47. lizardruns says:

I'm loving the taper for kind of the opposite reason–because next week I'll have to start training hard for Marine Corps after all my fun triathlon training :) Good luck this weekend–don't let the weather get you down. At least it won't be pouring rain this year, right?