Ahhh, that helped!

I’ve been in a bit of a funk since my race on Saturday. Not only was the race bad, but my little one fell and got stitches on Sunday and there’s been more than enough drama to go around lately in my local circle. On top of it all, my husband has been traveling off and on for more than two weeks. I was feeling pretty fried until this morning.

I’m sure you can all appreciate where this is headed…I got out for an easy run this morning with my pals. I whined and complained throughout the run, just getting all my frustrations out. (Thank you ladies for listening!) Afterward I hopped in the pool for 2,000 yards. When all was said and done, I felt much, much better.

Now I’m operating with a clearer head; the stresses of the past few days aren’t getting to me like they were last night. I’ve even been able to sort out how I want my summer to go–a bit less work and more time with my kids.

Once again, running gave me the therapy I sorely needed.

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. Matty O says:

Haha, leave it to mind numbing swimming to clear the head!!!

I feel you on getting in funks. Working out is the only way I can clear my head.

Good job on the pool work!

2. …this is why we run. glad you are feeling better and out of your funk!!

3. Colleen says:

My favorite quote is that exercise is cheaper than therapy! :) Glad you are feeling better!

4. Kovas Palubinskas says:

There is nothing that a good run can't cure, or at least improve your attitude about it. Kvetching to your buddies? Even better.

5. Glad a run was able to get you focused and out of a funk. Isn't great, running is good for you on more than one plane. Take care.

6. ShutUpandRun says:

Amazing what a bit of running can do. Sorry about the little one and glad your mood has improved…

7. hi! i'm a new-ish reader of your blog and just wanted to say i'm glad you were able to get out of your funk this morning…happens to all of us!

8. Glad you are feeling back to normal!!

9. Caratunk Girl says:

Ahh, yes, the run with friends and the long swim always makes me feel better too! Hope your little one is OK!

10. Marlene says:

NOTHING works like a good run to make everything seem better.

11. Patrick Mahoney says:

If only more people know this secret we'd live in a different world.

12. Running does make everything better!

13. EZEthan says:

seriously… there's really nothing better!

14. Aww I hope your little one is ok now, glad you're feeling better about stuff too :-)

15. Sorry your race wasn't what you expected, but it always helps to blog about it and then go for a great run with great people!

Glad you are feeling better!

16. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

awww stitches that is no fun!!!

Agreed the only way to get mentally past my injury was to run…oh my so not smart, but i so felt happier and more ready to go

17. A little run and the world always seems to get better!

18. Running has probably kept me from seeking a shrink.

19. Glad to hear you're on the upswing!

20. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

I've always said running saved my life! Amazing what a good run (and swim) can do for the mind, body and soul. I'd be a lost, overweight, alcoholic without my running…for real!

21. Glad to hear that you got out and were able to clear the mind of cobwebs. BTW, you were right about my bike :) Thanks.

22. Big Daddy Diesel says:

I use biking the same way you use running, it clears the mind

23. It's amazing what great therapy exercise can be. Glad you are feeling better. It's always a good idea to work hard but play harder. ;)

24. Kids make everything better! Your amazing how you juggle kids and running! I am in awe of you!

25. Ah, the healing powers of a good run. Cheers!

26. That's why I love running! Have a great Summer!

27. Yay for good friends. Sorry about the stitches on the little one. :(

Yay for a run with friends though. I have no idea what that would feel like ;) but it sounds amazing!!

28. Less work and more time with the kids sounds like a perfect summer!! :)

29. Glad you're feeling better. :) Hooray for therapeutic runs & swims.

30. Hi Zippy,
    I am glad that you are out of your funk and have that mojo back! Remember we all have thos days and those runs. Take care:)

31. How many of us would be in an institution without our running?!! It's the best de-stressor.

32. FLATOUT JIM says:

I don't have that problem with my husband travelling, but as for the race, and kids and stress, I soooo know what you mean.

33. Anabela (Bela) Neves says:

Running is an amazing therapy ;) Glad you are feeling better!

34. There is nothing cheaper than a run/swim therapy session!

35. Glad you're doing better. :)

36. Ahhh the powers of running and swimming. I am glad it was a great mood lifter.

37. Thank God for some exercise to clear our brains and crazy lives! So glad you are doing better. been there!

38. Cynthia O'H says:

Fitness is such great therapy. I love running away from my stresses. Not being able to workout is stressful!

Glad that you're feeling better after the weekend. Have you decided on the next event?

39. Michelle says:

Yay! Glad you are feeling better!

40. Jennifer says:

Sounds like the perfect morning; I need one of those right now!

41. ModernMom says:

Oh and I do hope your little one is okay!

42. Sunflower Kisses says:

I hope your child is OK and you are feeling better about everything.

43. Candice @ I Have Run says:

Running wasn't the break I needed today, so it was nice to be reminded that it so often is and can be.

44. lindsay says:

Yay endorphins! Glad you were able to work some stresses out!

45. Nothing like running with friends and a few endorphins to clear your head. That is why we do this, isn't it?