Ahhh, that helped!

I’ve been in a bit of a funk since my race on Saturday. Not only was the race bad, but my little one fell and got stitches on Sunday and there’s been more than enough drama to go around lately in my local circle. On top of it all, my husband has been traveling off and on for more than two weeks. I was feeling pretty fried until this morning.

I’m sure you can all appreciate where this is headed…I got out for an easy run this morning with my pals. I whined and complained throughout the run, just getting all my frustrations out. (Thank you ladies for listening!) Afterward I hopped in the pool for 2,000 yards. When all was said and done, I felt much, much better.

Now I’m operating with a clearer head; the stresses of the past few days aren’t getting to me like they were last night. I’ve even been able to sort out how I want my summer to go–a bit less work and more time with my kids.

Once again, running gave me the therapy I sorely needed.

Comments

1. Matty O says

Haha, leave it to mind numbing swimming to clear the head!!!

I feel you on getting in funks. Working out is the only way I can clear my head.

Good job on the pool work!

2. Kovas Palubinskas says

There is nothing that a good run can't cure, or at least improve your attitude about it. Kvetching to your buddies? Even better.

3. Kenley says

Glad a run was able to get you focused and out of a funk. Isn't great, running is good for you on more than one plane. Take care.

4. ShutUpandRun says

Amazing what a bit of running can do. Sorry about the little one and glad your mood has improved…

5. abbi says

hi! i'm a new-ish reader of your blog and just wanted to say i'm glad you were able to get out of your funk this morning…happens to all of us!

6. Caratunk Girl says

Ahh, yes, the run with friends and the long swim always makes me feel better too! Hope your little one is OK!

7. Tara says

Sorry your race wasn't what you expected, but it always helps to blog about it and then go for a great run with great people!

Glad you are feeling better!

8. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

awww stitches that is no fun!!!

Agreed the only way to get mentally past my injury was to run…oh my so not smart, but i so felt happier and more ready to go

9. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

I've always said running saved my life! Amazing what a good run (and swim) can do for the mind, body and soul. I'd be a lost, overweight, alcoholic without my running…for real!

10. Barbie says

Glad to hear that you got out and were able to clear the mind of cobwebs. BTW, you were right about my bike :) Thanks.

11. MB says

It's amazing what great therapy exercise can be. Glad you are feeling better. It's always a good idea to work hard but play harder. ;)

12. Emz says

Yay for good friends. Sorry about the stitches on the little one. :(

Yay for a run with friends though. I have no idea what that would feel like ;) but it sounds amazing!!

13. Julie says

Hi Zippy,
    I am glad that you are out of your funk and have that mojo back! Remember we all have thos days and those runs. Take care:)

14. FLATOUT JIM says

I don't have that problem with my husband travelling, but as for the race, and kids and stress, I soooo know what you mean.

15. Julie says

Thank God for some exercise to clear our brains and crazy lives! So glad you are doing better. been there!

16. Cynthia O'H says

Fitness is such great therapy. I love running away from my stresses. Not being able to workout is stressful!

Glad that you're feeling better after the weekend. Have you decided on the next event?

17. Candice @ I Have Run says

Running wasn't the break I needed today, so it was nice to be reminded that it so often is and can be.

18. Lisa says

Nothing like running with friends and a few endorphins to clear your head. That is why we do this, isn't it?