What we won’t do…

To keep running. I’ve mentioned in past posts that I’ve been dealing with plantar fasciitis in my “good” foot, the one that hasn’t had it before. Well lately it’s been getting a bit too fired up for my comfort level, so I’ve decided to do something about it.

No, I don’t mean rest it! Why, that would be too logical. I’m a runner, after all, and I’ll do just about anything to keep at it. My first call was to my podiatrist, who simply told me to run on flat, soft surfaces for the time being. Well, I don’t live in a flat area and I don’t want to spend my running time on a track or treadmill, so I moved on. (Josh, I can hear you giving me an “I told you so” right now!)

I’ve started acupuncture, for one thing. In addition to that, I have also begun seeing a sports rehab doc. He’s pretty cool–a combination chiropractor, PT, and running gait analyzer all rolled into one. The best part–he didn’t tell me to stop running. After hearing my story and evaluating my running gait, we’ve set up a plan to strengthen my glutes, work on my balance and flexibility, and attack my foot with lots of ice massaging and stretching.

I’m only a couple of days into this, but today’s middle-distance run seemed to go fairly well. After a couple of minutes, I can say the run was pain-free. I’m going to be diligent about doing all I need to do to stay out there. I really can’t face the prospect of a lay-off. Unfortunately, that’s going to mean lots of time at the PT’s office–seriously, has anyone ever been to PT that doesn’t suck up all your time? It puts me in a serious time crunch.

But again, I’m a runner, and I’ll do whatever it takes. I’m sure you can relate.

• No Related Posts

Comments

1. Big Daddy Diesel says

I hope it heals up fast. Ya, I hear you on not stopping your running. I think 99% of us do that, we are just that stubborn I guess.

2. Pam says

A few years ago when I was doing step aerobics and kickboxing all the time, I had some pretty wicked knee problems. My orthopedist told me the fix was simple: Have a kid! I gave him a puzzled look, and he said, "Well, if you have a kid, you won't have time to do all that stuff that's hurting your knee."

Cute, doc. Cute.

3. Maura says

Funny you post this today as I just started PT this morning at 7am! It's nearly impossible to schedule early or late so that my husband can watch the girls… and to do it 2x a week!

4. NY Wolve says

Crossing my fingers it doesn't get worse. I have never had to deal with PF, thankfully. My PT for PFS (to use another acronym) was very helpful, and scheduled for one hour a week. The key is to find someone you like and enjoy and stick with them.

And I stopped running for my maybe stress fracture. I regret it too, but at least I have no pain (for now).

5. Kenley says

But again, I'm a runner, and I'll do whatever it takes. I'm sure you can relate. I can relate. I am going through the same process with my right heel. It comes and goes. It all started when I switched shoes. From one year to the next, not even the brand? I feel the difference in the shoe, and I do not think I have enough heel support, or total foot support for that matter. I wish you well in your recovery, and Keep running and be safe.

6. Jill says

I've bought new shoes, with only about 50 miles on the old ones, and new squishy insoles, just to see if it helps my heel; can't stop running…so I can relate! Hope your foot's feeling better soon!

7. Rad Runner says

I feel your pain! Keep it goin, its an ongoing battle but what is there to do? I to started the accupunture thing and that was great! I also slap on a little arnica gel b4 and after my longer runs if my foots feeling a little odd. Oh! and the trusty old golf ball after runs, breaks tightness up like NO other!

8. Barefoot AngieB says

I would love to do acupuncture! I hope it all helps and works out for you! Here's to pain free running!

9. Caratunk Girl says

Heal quickly! That stinks. Sounds like you have a good doc though. PT eats SO much time. I wish they would give you a list of stuff so you only had to go every few weeks or something. When I went, it was like, Monday, we did some stuff and she said, so when you come back on Wed…Then Fri… SO when is work and the rest of life (like training!) supposed to fit in anyway? Sorry went off a little there. ha. Feel better soon!

10. Lorian says

It is amazing how our desire to run is amplified when we are injured or told we can't run.

I hope your injury heals quickly…happy running!

11. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says

I hope it heals up fast! But take it easy, it's better to rest now and run for a long time than to run now and get hurt worse!

12. ShutUpandRun says

Short of losing a leg (and that probably wouldn't stop you either!) or a fracture, it seems like you can keep going! You are experienced enough that I know you'll take good care of yourself.

13. Laurie says

I hope PT goes well for you and gets you back to pain free running.

Where is the picture from in your header? It looks like such a fun place to run! Although I suppose it wouldn't qualify for a "flat" or really even "soft" surface. I can echo your sediments to track and treadmill running… not fun in my opinion.

14. Julie says

I am sorry to hear about your PF…bummer. Hopefully the PT and the acupunture will help:) I am sure that you will be back in action soon! Take care Zippy!

15. April says

LOVE, love, love acupuncture!! Sounds like everything you are doing is working. Way to be diligent! So glad you had a pain free run and a Dr. who didn't tell you to stop running!

16. Stacey says

Hope the PT/acupuncture works. My sports med doc gave me a little plastic cup for my shoe that my heel sits in, takes the pressure off the pf. It has worked like a charm. Good luck, hope your back to your normal mileage soon.

17. Char says

I've heard that PF can be a bi@#h! My brother-in-law had to deal with it when he ramped up his running mileage suddenly. I'm not sure what fixed him – I think it was a combo that included a lot of painful massage.

18. ajh says

Last time I had PF a chiro. helped me a ton. Your guy who wears several hats sounds perfect! Good luck with it.

19. Cynthia O'H says

I can definitely relate to the doing whatever it takes. While it's frustrating, it teaches us to be patient and that is something that ever runner needs.

20. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says

I'm glad you're finding something that is helping! Yay! I've never had to do PT, but my sister had to for her back and she had the hardest time finding "time" to go to her appointments, but she did it because it helped in the end. I think, as athletes, we are all willing to do what it takes to keep being able to do what we love to do!

21. Marlene says

So true! The things we do!

I hope your "tactics" are keeping the PF at bay.

Thanks for your comments and for the good luck for this weekend! Eek! :)

22. Molly says

Oh I can relate!! I've been dealing with it for 13 years, and of course I've been running the whole time!!

Good luck with your rehab, I hope it nips that PF in the bud!

Have a great weekend!

23. Steel Springs says

Anything so that we can keep running… The sports rehab doctor sounds wonderful. I hope it keeps going well and that you're pain free soon!

24. Jennifer says

I know exactly what you are saying! Good luck with that foot, I hear it's a hard to thing to heal, but stick with it! Cheers!

25. The Green Girl says

Good luck, Miss Zippy. I've suffered from plantar fasciitis in both my feet pretty much all my life. It kept me from being able to ice skate or roller blade but I wasn't going to let it stop me from running.

I used to roll a golf ball under both my feet while I was on the computer but Rad Runner Girl got me a foot wheel for Christmas and that thing is amazing. It's perfect because I actually just leave the foot wheel under my desk at home and as I'm browsing and blogging, I'm rolling!

26. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

Ahh….I'm soo in your boat right now! Although, the diagnosis for me is still unclear. I don't think i have PF, i think it's a heel spur or something w/the achilles tendon. we'll see more on mon at the doc.

but, i just don't want to rest for more than ~3 weeks, and i better be able to swim/bike;-)

27. Irene says

Hmmm… Acupuncture for PF? I'll have to suggest it to my Hubs!

I love seeing a physical therapist who specializes in sports. What a difference!

Have a wonderful weekend~

28. Petraruns says

I can totally relate to everything here – if you're still able to work around your injury like it sounds you are, carry on with it. I say – try it all, massage, physio, acupuncture – whatever you need to get through this. Have you tried taping?