Training, just training

I mentioned after my last race that I was a bit burned out on the racing front and looking forward to getting back to some training. Well, that’s where I am right now and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Having a little race break has allowed me to increase some mileage, get back on the track consistently, and just be in a routine. It’s nice.

I think spending time in training mode lets you remember why you run in the first place. It’s not that I don’t like racing–I love it–but just logging miles is refreshing. You get to enjoy the scenery, enjoy your running partners, and just be in the moment with running. I’m really looking forward to fall marathon training now also, because I do love logging the miles (I’m a bit of a mileage junkie).

The question I now face is how much more racing I want to do this summer. I am signed up for a 10-miler in late June and am looking forward to it. Do I throw in a 5k or two over the summer? Do I do the Annapolis 10-miler in late August? I always love that race. Then there’s the question of a half-marathon in early fall. I’ll probably do one as a way to gauge my marathon fitness level. And finally, a late-season marathon. Not sure which one yet, but I will do one–I can’t wait.

In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the peace of just training.

Comments

1. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

Sometimes I think I like the training way more than the racing itself…go figure! So you have any marathons in mind yet?

2. EZEthan says

I hear ya… I'm an aspiring mileage junkie and love training, especially marathon training… seems like my body is truly happiest when it's borderline fatigued.

3. Anne says

Well, I have yet to run that first half-marathon and I will wait and see how that goes. I'm a little, well a lot, scared, because it will apparently be in extreme heat and humidity. Yikes!
    Sounds like you've got a great thing going there…and I totally understand how one can become a mileage junkie :)

4. Elina says

I don't really like racing I realized lately but I do enjoy running. Sometimes it's good to just run with no other agenda. Enjoy the little break :)

5. Jill says

I love the "wake up and see how you feel and run accordingly" plan. Enjoy your break…your mind and body will let you know when it wants another race. Yay for summer!!! :)

6. Running and living says

I agree, just training is wonderful:) If you think the registration is not going to close for those races, I say don't register yet and see how you feel. It's nice sometimes to not be committed:)

7. Dash says

Yes! I'm looking at my race calendar and there are almost too many, so I need to train through some of them so I don't burn out either! Enjoy getting back into your groove so you can kill it in the fall! We're heading to Philly RNR 1/2 in Sept, come run it! :)

8. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says

Sometimes I like just logging miles too. Is this what some people consider junk miles? I spent a bit over two years when I first started running doing just that — logging miles with no goal. Well, I think my goal was to slowly become a runner. My first true race was a half marathon in 2000. Enjoy the scenery while you can!!

9. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says

I am completely in the logging miles zone right now…17 days and counting. I wonder if I can make it 30??

10. Erica says

I think I must be a little race burned out myself….I have annapolis Zooma coming up and I am not even excited! I am looking forward to just logging some miles soon.

11. Angie Bishop says

I hate the anxiety leading up to a race. They are fun to do but now that I am 10 days away from a 20k. I am wishing that is over already.

I just want to run and log the miles too for fall marathon. Boy that one is going to be nerve wracking!

12. Rad Runner says

Sure, a 5k won't hurt! Those make me smile BIG! I still get all excited about them, but its a 5k, it will be great!

13. Pam says

I'm super excited about my upcoming fall half-marathon and marathon training! But I'm sure I'll throw in a 5K or too, just for the fun of it. :) I enjoy the heck out of little bitty local 5Ks that actually benefit the community in some way.

14. J says

I like just training sometimes too. Its good to have a race to break things up every once in a while. I actually enjoy the workouts sometimes better than the races!! Looks like you have a good summer schedule going!

15. Caratunk Girl says

I like just training sometimes too – it is funny, I love racing, but there is something about training – maybe it is the alone time, who knows, but I just love it.

16. Steel Springs says

I'm glad that you're enjoying the training! That's so important and is what will (hopefully) keep us out there for years to come.

17. Char says

I get where you're coming from. Racing can take a lot out of you but there is the excitement and the euphoria of a new PB but there's just something about good consistent training. It makes me feel centred.

18. ShutUpandRun says

Enjoy your training, I'm sure the mood will strike you as to which race(s) to sign up for. Smart of you to take a break until you get super excited for one.

19. Julie says

Hi Zippy,
    I need to get myself in training mode:) I will be making the switch soon enough. I am still a new runner with stars in my eyes:) I think that is the reason I enjoy racing so much. It is all new and exciting for me! If I trained more like you I could maybe I could actually get faster:)

Enjoy your training and your logging of miles…it will pay off on race day!

20. MCM Mama says

I must be the weird one – I'd run a race every weekend as my speed work out if I could afford it and find the time. ;o) I love the adrenaline and lots of people running around me.

21. Patrick Mahoney says

its cool that you can run for the love of running and don't need an event to motivate you. Well played…

22. Meg says

I kind of enjoy taking the time off of racing and the pressure that it brings if I plan too far ahead. I agree, enjoy the peace of training more than anything. Treasure it!
    I cracked up at your comment about despising 400's! I actually can't stand 1,200s! Grrrr!

23. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

it's funny, i was just thinking today that i feel ready to race. i missed my sprint tri a few wks ago due to the dang PF, so i feel like my body wants the race. i have one in 3 wks in prep for my big A race in mid july.

but i am looking forward to simply training afterwards;-)

24. Johann says

I'm in a training zone myself at the moment although I have 4 short trail races in June. Building up distance is great!

25. trifitmom says

the shore town i was talking about is spring lake…i have been to avalon and stone harbor, went to college in philly and always big philly areas to go to

26. Cynthia O'H says

I'm like you – trying to figure out what to do next. I had my sights on a late summer marathon but am now thinking along the lines of really bringing down some 5K and half-marathon times.
    Time – that's what we need more of so that we can make the right decision.

27. whataboutsummer says

there is such a difference between running and training. remember why you run!
    a fellow runner,