What’s more tiring than a workout?

I suppose there are lots of things…new moms can tell you that a brand-new baby will wipe you out like nobody’s business. Pulling all-nighters, for whatever reason, is exhausting. For me, my “more tiring than a workout” event this weekend was sitting through 18 hours of running lectures!

I decided a while back that I wanted to become an RRCA (Road Runners Clubs of America) certified coach, for a variety of reasons. To become a coach, you must attend a two-day class taught by Janet Hamilton and Mike Broderick, pass a follow-up test, and then take a CPR and first-aid course. So this weekend I headed off to Newport News, Va. to take the course.

There were about 30 of us gathered for the class, among them, Tonia of racingwithbabes. What are the odds? That’s twice in two weeks that our paths have crossed!

I learned TONS this weekend, some of which I intend to apply to my own training. One big takeaway, and something I suspected anyhow, is that I run my long runs too fast–it’s so easy to do, especially when you run with the group of speedy women I do. But I’m going to give it my best to slow my pace down on these outings; hopefully a few of my partners will lay back with me.

Beyond all the real learning, however, I learned that I am not good at sitting still for that long! Seriously, every muscle in my body ached at the end of the day on Saturday. I was dying to get into a pool and loosen up, but I couldn’t find any open. I did a bit better on day two, but then I had to get into my car and drive home. Another 3 1/2 hours of sitting! Yikes. I think next time I attempt something like this, I’ll do some “sit” training!

Today is catch-up day. I didn’t bring my computer with me, so I have many blogs to read today! I hope everyone had a great weekend and great races if you were out there.

Comments

1. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

Congrats to you Coach Amanda! I hear you loud and clear on the sit training. That's one area I'm lacking practice on..LOL! Not easy. Thanks for the email response!

2. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says

Very cool certification! "Sit Training" that made me laugh, but it is so true. I hate it when my company has these type of meetings. Usually a week long and people talking at you while you sit and drink coffee — it is so exhausting even though you don't do a thing? Let me know your sit training plan so I can use before the next meeting. Hehe

3. ShutUpandRun says

I'm so glad you wrote this post! I'm attending the very same training in Vegas next month. I, too, am dreading sitting still for hours on end, but look forward to getting some good info! Did you think the trainers were good? Did they feed you like they said they would? Did it really go from 10-7 each day (I have some gambling to do!)When will you take your test? So many questions…brisdon@comcast.net, but only if you get a chance.

4. Laura (also known as Angel31!) says

That training sounds really interesting, its great when you attend training and really learn loads of stuff from it, especially when you can use that information for yourself, I've been on so many courses where I don't learn a lot and its really frustrating!

5. Viper says

I'm going to have to stop reading your blog. I'm not looking for accredited information on the Internet. I want more hearsay and horse feathers. This will not do at all …

6. Laura says

I hate sitting still for too long! I was always annoying one of my friends at uni cause I fidgeted so much in longer lectures!

7. Jill says

I got that coaching certification 2 years ago and actually started a business last summer because I loved it so much. I learned a lot, too, especially the long run paces…but I find it kind of interesting that those that did well in Boston, trained at MP their long runs. ???? I truly think it's an individual thing, at least for a unique handful of people. That sitting WAS long. I also got my personal training certification the week before and wow, my butt hurt bad (that was 4 days long of sitting!). Congrats on your new certifications!!! :)

8. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

I keep telling myself to slow down on my long runs, but then I get mentally freaked out that I won't be able to hit the pace I want on race day if I slow down now

9. Petraruns says

Very cool certification! Re long run pace though – I used to run mine way too slow and never got used to running my races fast enough. I now incorporate MP into quite a few long runs and intend to increase that in the future..

10. Julie says

Hi Zippy,
    You are going to be a great coach!! I would hire you:) I am so excited for you…just think of all of the fantastic people you will meet because of this! Also, not only will you be helping people..it will be such a wonderful experience for you!! Congrats!

11. LMC says

Are you certified now or are there more courses and tests? Sitting is the worse thing ever. I do it all day long at work. I am seriously trying to remember to get up and walk around every hour, otherwise, my lower back hurts. Have a great week, with more running and a lot less sitting!

12. Anabela (Bela) Neves says

Congrats on the certification.
    And right now I think my renovation of my kitchen is alot more tiring than a workout ;)

13. Molly says

ugh, my bones are creaking for you in sympathy! Very cool about the certification though, good luck on the exam!

14. ultrarunnerbrianphilpot says

The last thing any runner wants to do is sit after a hard run. We all really train harder than we should. I know I love to push hard!

15. misszippy says

In follow up to a few questions–Yes, anyone can get this training. Go to the rrca website for more info.

I am not quite a coach–must take/pass the test, which I intend to do in a day or two, then must take a CPR and first aid class, which I'm doing next week.

I'll train folks live and virtually!

As to long runs–I'm guessing most people do them a bit too fast. You don't want your legs overly trashed from the long run so that you can give some to a speed day.

16. MCM Mama says

I'm so jealous! I want to take the class, I'm just waiting for it to come to the DC area. Can't wait to hear more about it from you.

17. Happy Feet 26.2 says

I have debated the LSD runs vs. the MP runs for years, in my mind. For several years, I was running all of my long runs at MP. Last year, when training for a fall marathon there was no way I could run MP in the summer heat in MS, so most of my runs were LSD runs. I ran my PR, but I also lost weight, did unlimited yoga, etc. etc. So I still can't say for sure, but for me, I will do some of both – some LSD and some MP runs. I do think when I was running all MP runs I was "beat up" by the time the marathon arrived. Happy medium for me going forward. Hope you will share other things you learned.

18. Meg says

It's so interesting about the long runs and MP! I've been trying it out different ways now, just to see what happens. Please post more on this! By the way, I've been meaning to tell you that I took a peppermint pill in Boston and had NO stomach problems after I took it! The race was stomach-problem free.
    Congrats on your certification!

19. Ewa says

I wonder if it would be appropriate to do sitting exercises like the ones one is supposed to do on long flights.
    Congrats on your certification. You earned it with every sitting minute.

20. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says

That's awesome that you're pursuing the running coach thing. Congrats! I HATE sitting still in long lectures. My review coarse for the registered dietitian exam a few years ago was on a weekend during the very Half Marathon that I'll be running this weekend. It KILLED me to be sitting in a classroom on a beautiful day knowing that my sister was out running the race!!

21. Lisbet says

nice work on the running coach cert! that's inspiring, and you get my thoughts ticking about doing that myself someday.

22. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama says

I just read Tonia's post and I will say it again. I so believe in running slower to run faster. After reading about so many runner with injuries and never having been injuried in all my running I know that part of why I have been "lucky" is that I do not push my pace on the bulk of my mileage runs. I hardly ever push pace with the stroller. I use a perceived effort when I push the stroller (almost always) to keep my pace at a "I could run this for a long time" effort. Of course, I have been running for over half of my life so my pace is not everyones. But the point is valid. Running slower, doing speed work and building your miles will make your race pace faster and your race distance capabilities longer. No doubt!

There is a class in my PA-ish area soon. I am so wanted to take it. I am simply excited to learn even if life doesn't bring anything more from the cerification. Having been an instructor/trainer when I was younger (= more energy) I am not sure I would want to do it again but I am always in market to learn from others.

23. The Happy Runner says

Very cool — I'm sure it was tiring but so interesting! One of my post-baby goals is to become an RRCA certified coach.

24. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

I agree! lecture wknds are exhuasting!! I had a similar experience when i went for the USAT coach wknd. But I bet you learned a lot and it's always so fun to be in a room with fellow minded folks!

congrats!

25. Cynthia O'H says

Courses are great because you can also take something useful away. Congrats on the coaching; you'll love it.