Race day–not feelin’ it

BroadSTLogo Race day  not feelin it

This Sunday is my next race, the Broad St. 10-miler in Philadelphia. I have to admit, I’m not really feeling it this time. Not sure if I am a bit “over-raced” at this point, not in the mood to travel, or just plain tired. (Julie, I don’t know how you are doing four weekends in a row!) It doesn’t help that the temperatures are supposed to be well into the 80s this weekend and the race doesn’t start until 8:30. I love warm weather, but it hasn’t been consistently warm lately, so I don’t feel acclimated.

I think part of the problem is that I tend to give a lot to my races mentally. After just having run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler three weeks ago, where I PRd, I don’t know if I can summon the mental reserves to repeat the performance, or beat it.

That being the case, I am going to experiment a little with this race. I mentioned a while back I was considering trying a race without looking at my watch. I think this should be the day. I’m also going to test out a new shirt, courtesy of Running Chicks (a giveaway soon to follow). So I’m taking that rule of never trying new things on race day and throwing it out the window. It’s not a marathon, so I think I can get away with this!

And in spite of all my big talk here about not caring, I know that when I toe the line on Sunday, my competitive instinct will likely take over. I can live without a new PR, but I’d probably be pretty mad if I didn’t go under 74 minutes.

We’ll see what the weekend brings. It will be fun no matter what–I’m traveling up to the race with two of my fun racing buddies, Becky and Jessica. We’re pulling out of town early Saturday afternoon, so look out Philadelphia!

Comments

1. Terry Lonergan says

Is that 8.30 a.m.? If so why so early? 9.30 is the earliest race start time in the UK generally but I prefer 10.30 or 11 a.m. Be interesting to read how you go without the limitations of the watch. Just race, compete and enjoy! Have a good one!

2. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says

i love that you are going sans watch. no stress, just run and go with how you feel. oh yeah, and have fun as it sounds like you will with your racing buddies heading up there with you. Positive race vibes sent your way!

3. Molly says

have a great race, no time like the present to test out going without your watch. It's supposed to be in the high seventies here this weekend, after it SNOWED wednesday!

Good luck!

4. Jill says

The best races I've ever done (aside from this Year's Boston) were ones I left my Garmin at home. I even PR'd on a half last summer with NO watch (I asked a couple runners at time what our pace was but otherwise was clueless). I hope it all works out for you, too!!

Thanks, too, for the awesome birthday card – I totally love it :). You are just soooo sweeetttt!!

5. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says

I've been in your shoes before where I wasn't really feeling a race. But, once I got there, I was so happy and ready for it! I think trying out the no watch thing is a great idea for this race! Good luck…you'll do great! :)

6. Emz says

never really thought about how much I look at my watch until you said that. pretty crazy how much I reply on it.

I'm sure you'll get the 74 you are looking for!! :)

7. Big Daddy Diesel says

I was talking to one of my teammates while waiting to ride at the bike club, she was telling me, usually what she sees happen when someone doesnt "feel it" for what ever reason, they always seem to PR or have a great race.

8. blissfulrunner says

Yeah, our weather has been a bit crazy recently hasn't it? Every morning I pack both shorts and a tee as well as pants and a jacket in my gym bag. At least it keeps things interesting! It sounds pretty normal to lose some motivation after a PR so goinging into it with a different outlook and making it a fun run sounds like the ultimate solution. Good luck!

9. misszippy says

Terry–Isn't that interesting? I consider 8:30 a bit of a late start for a race–most are closer to 7:30 or 8 I would say. It would take some getting used to to race in the U.K.!

10. ShutUpandRun says

Sometimes those races we don't feel geared up for become the best ones!! I'm anxious to see how that not looking at your watch thing goes after my experience…it might put you in a better places mentally. Good luck

11. Rad Runner says

Good idea on using this as a "test run" with the new shirt, no time etc. sometimes it really works out.. I did this on my run yesterday, I had to drag myself out (it was pretty windy) I was going to do 4 miles, then 1/2 way decided 3, I had a little battle in my head about it, but ended up with 3 and figured I could give my soon to come 5k a test run, I ended up running a pretty good time. I think you will do great! Have fun!

12. aron says

i have a feeling race day adrenaline will kick in once you get there! BUT there is no shame is doing a race for fun and just taking it easy… taking the pressure off can be so nice every once in a while, esp if you JUST PRed at the same distance. either way have a great race!!!

13. Ewa says

Good luck not looking at your watch. :) I find it very difficult.
    Have fun with your race. Hope to see that shirt review. One can never have enough running gear.

14. Pam says

I'm interested to see how the no-watch thing works out for you. I'm COMPLETELY dependent on mine! I've only had it since Christmas, and I've already forgotten how to run without it. I did my last two-mile jog before the HM last week with no watch and no iPod, and DEAR LORD, those two miles felt so long!!!

15. Just a Girl says

Good luck with the race chick, not looking at the watch is a good idea as it will take the pressure off you to strive for a PB. Enjoy it :)

16. MCM Mama says

Have fun at the race and enjoy hanging with your friends. I totally break the no new things rule all the time for races shorter than a marathon…

17. Teamarcia says

Good luck, relax and have fun with it. You never know, you may be totally feeling it when race day rolls around!

18. Laura says

Good luck, and most importantly just enjoy it! I look forward to hearing how you find running without the watch if you do :-)

19. Char says

It's a great idea to put a different spin on the race. I did 3 races in 3 weekends last year and was really over it by the end. I think it's the effort of pumping myself up and expectations. Good luck with the race. Enjoy!

20. Running and living says

I completely get what you are saying about having a time goal. I have to PR in every race, which is something I have to get over! I am excited to see how running without a watch will go for you! Good luck!

21. Julie says

Hi Zippy,
    Oh my God, you have such a great 10 mile PR!! You finished your ten miles 9 minutes faster than me!! I have only run one so far but I like your time so much better than mine:) I think that you are going to do great!! I am kind of tired and feeling the mental pressure myself…I don't want to run slower than my last half marathon. Good luck to you bloggie friend:) Keep the faith!

22. Michelle says

Have a great time and good luck! I think we are all in a bit of a running funk lately – hoping that it is just getting acclimated to the weather change.

I'm sure you will rock it!

23. Barefoot AngieB says

Have fun and I bet you do great and get that new PR!! If not have so much fun that it doesn't matter :)

24. Cynthia O'H says

Races like that are great. There's no pressure so you can just get out and run. You never know what may happen between the start and finish.

25. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says

i hear you on being burnt out on races, if it's not an A/Big race for you this season. However, being over here on the west coast, a 10 miler in Phili sounds pretty cool! Maybe let this race be about trying out some of the tactics you learned about at the conference.

Go go!;-)

26. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says

I think that's one of the reasons I don't do as many races, they take a lot more out of me and make running a little less fun for me…but if I had your speedy legs, i'd probably be out there kickin butt and taking names

27. The Happy Runner says

Enjoy the race. I ran one in the fall where I said I wasn't running for time or anything, but to really work on my breathing and a few things. I ended up with a faster than expected time!

Good luck :-)

28. Tara says

Good luck at your race! Just go with no expectations and have fun; you never know, this could be your best race yet!

29. T.C. says

I hear you! I have a 10 M tomorrow and have spent the entire day wishing I could just get up and run at home instead. I'm sure I'll have fun once I get there and I'm sure you will too! It's supposed to be hot Sunday so here's hoping the temps don't rise too quickly!

30. Sherri says

I swear I already commented on this…but I dont see my comment…so I just want to summarize…GO For IT…No watch! You'll rock!

31. Beth says

It's a great idea to try something new for a race that isn't your A race. It will make it exciting and you will learn something. I bet when you line up you will feel your usual excitement!

32. lindsay says

well good luck this weekend! hope you find some mojo just in time for the race. have fun with it – enjoy your thousands of running partners :)

33. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says

Good Luck! I know how it feels to not be "feeling it". I've had many of those moments training for my half with the baby. My little guy brought on a whole new meaning to training. But maybe you'll surprise yourself. I'll be looking out to see what happens!

34. Beginner Tri Baby says

The best of luck to you tomorrow! I'm sure you will run an awesome race. Good thoughts on running without the watch – let me know how that goes!

35. Black Knight says

I am sure that at the start you forget the bad feelin' and you will run as fast as the wind. I am also sure that you will never race without looking at your watch: you are a runner!!!
    10 miler: a wonderful memory for me, I ran that distance in Edinburgh enjoying unbelievable landscapes.

36. Petraruns says

HOpe you've had a great race – can't wait to read your report on it. Also – sometimes shaking things up a bit, changing what you do is what you need to freshen yourself up. Keep at it!