Cherry Blossom 10-miler: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

The good:

Cherry Blossom 10 miler: The good, the bad, and the ugly!
  • I ran a PR–1:13:18
  • Incredible weather and beautiful course
  • Great time with friends both on and off the course
  • I got to meet Tonia of TMB Racing with Babes (check out the picture–she’s the stylin’ fit chick on the left to my frumpy big ‘ole t-shirt self on the right)
  • A wonderful post-race brunch at my friend Sue’s house with both our husbands and kids (thank you Sue!)
  • Watching the amazing Kenyans and Ethiopians cruising at the front
  • An amazingly efficient race organization, from the race itself to the bag check to the sufficient number of porta-potties

The bad:

• Even though I PR’d, I wanted to break 73
  • Mile 9, my slowest by far
  • Didn’t get to see Joan Benoit Samuelson even though she was out there
  • No cherry blossoms to be had–all long gone!

The ugly:

• Probably took it out a bit too fast for my best racing capabilities, thus leading to crappy mile 9
  • Dodging a few potholes
  • Passing a friend who is an awesome runner and always capable of beating me, except when she is dealing with back issues

All-in-all–I had a great time today. In all my years of racing and living near DC, I’ve never done Cherry Blossom. Today I learned why people go back again and again. Such a great event and a reminder of what a beautiful capital city we have.

Now it’s time to give my legs a little RnR and get them recovered to take on Philadelphia’s Broad St. 10-miler in 3 weeks. I hope everyone who raced this weekend had a great day!

pin it button Cherry Blossom 10 miler: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Comments

1. KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) says:

I may have to do that race some day. Sounds beautiful. Congrats on the PR…that's a very respectable race time! I know how hard it is to not go out hard when everyone else is flying by.

2. Congrats on your PR!! You ran your ten mile soooo fast:) Nice work!

3. Congrats on the PR, that's a great time, sounds like such a pretty race to run too!

4. Jeff - DangleTheCarrot says:

Congrats on the PR!! I used to live in Columbia, MD and sometimes miss DC this time of year – not in the winter (-:

5. ShutUpandRun says:

You are Miss Zippy, that's for sure. Nice job!!

6. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

I was so great to get to meet up with you! Maybe one day I'll be speedy enough to actually race with you! Congrats on the PR!

7. Great job on the PR!

8. I am laughing a bit at your profile info – apologizing to the "fast" people for not being "zippy" – despite your name "misszippy". Your PR is quite fast, you little stud! Well done!

9. Barefoot AngieB says:

Wow Lady, You are fast! Great job on the PR :)
    Whats with no cherry blossoms? That kinda bite since its the name and all :)

10. Congrats on the PR! Today was definitely a beautiful race day.

Lucky you, getting to meet Tonia. So jealous.

11. Congrats on an awesome PR! What an honor to even run with Joan Benoit Samuelson. I always feel so humbled when I run races with elites…

12. Running and living says:

I don't know what your PR was, but that is an awesome time. Be proud. Pacing is so tough in races. I usually run too conservatively, and then finish the race without an empty tank. Recently I started taking some chances, and managed to get faster. I would never take chances in a marathon, but in a 1/2 or shorter, why not. Perhaps next time start at the pace you ran today, and go faster and faster as the miles go on. You can DEFINITELY go under 1:13.GREAT job!

13. Great time. Maybe you did go out a little hard but sometimes you have to lay it all on the line to see what wou've got. Didn't work this time – maybe next time.

14. congrats on the run!

15. congrats on the PR!! You did great and you and TMB look so cute!

16. Congrats on the PR. I am very jealous of you running this race. You are seriously fast! I am also jealous you met Tonia!!! Good for you. I have run a race with Joan Benoit Samuelson and it was a HUGE thrill! I run in Freeport where she lives every year and I always pretend she has met me and runs with me. I am sure my friends think I am nuts when I spin this tale when I return from my runs!

17. Mel -Tall Mom on the Run says:

CONGRATS! I love this format for a race report. I want to meet Tonie someday, I love her stylish gear..

18. Congrats on your PR! Sounds like a cool race and lucky you for meeting Tonia :)

19. Cynthia O'H says:

Nice work. You certainly zipped along. I feel your anguish over 18 seconds.

Rest and start planning to break your time in the next few weeks!

20. PR! Yay! What a fun race- even the name makes me want to do it.

21. Way to go! Good times!

22. Petraruns says:

A PR is a PR – you did great! Rest up and get ready for the next one..

23. Laura (also known as Angel31!) says:

Hi There,

Congratulations on your PR! I'm new to your blog and really enjoying reading it. I've just signed up for my first half, the Great North Run in the UK so I'm hoping I'll pick up some tips from your blog!

24. Sounds like a great race overall. Well done with your PR! That’s a great time.

25. Black Knight says:

Congrats, you are very very fast. I am sure that Joan Benoit Samuelson will write on her blog, among the bad things, "Didn't get to see Misszippy even though she was out there".

26. Way to rock it! Awesome job!

27. Big Daddy Diesel says:

Congrats on the PR, I love you gave the good, bad, and ugly. So many people just put the good.

I like the new look

28. Holy cow, you're fast!!! Congrats…..and I love your new blog layout!

29. Tri Mommy says:

Congrats on the PR!

30. parsonsiv1 says:

Congrats on the PR!

31. Good job getting that PR. Cheers!

32. Congrats on the PR! :) Even if it wasn't **exactly** what you were hoping for, it's impressive!

33. Great PR! It's always good to know that your training is paying off!

34. Maryland Girl aka Michelle says:

Congratulations on the PR. I know several people that did this one. You had GREAT weather!

35. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Woohoo on your PR! I know how you feel about being a little disappointed with your time, even though it was a PR…I felt the same way with my 1/2 this weekend. But, you did awesome! :)

36. That is a great time…you are zippy!!!!!
    I like how you gave your report..it was fun to read! =)

37. Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) says:

Nice PR, and a step closer to the 73 goal. You did great. Too bad about the blossoms being gone. I love the colors when they are in full bloom.

38. lizardruns says:

Congratulations! But the price you pay for a PR: I saw Joan leaving Hains Point just as I was entering–back in 1:27 land :) This was my first time at the race too, and I can't believe how gorgeous and flat it was! And don't beat yourself up over mile 9. Mine was slow too, and I have no idea why. I didn't feel tired…

39. congrats on the pr!! cherry blossom has always intrigued me… 10miles seems like a great race distance and it just sounds like a pretty run.

40. Heidi Austin says:

miss speedy! nice time :) gota love a PR!

41. Congrats on your PR. Great job! You'll break 73 next time. Have a great week!

42. WOW, great race Zippy! I love your picture with Tonia too, you both look so cute!

43. Zippy,
    I love how you recap your race here. The Cherry Blossom 10-miler sounds like a fun race to do. I believe that I am ready for some 10 mile races myself. Congratulations on the PR. That is incredibly fast for a slow turtle like me. lol. Thanks for the info on Philly. I might have to check that out. If not this year, definitely next. I am glad that you had a great time with your friends in all of this. I will add your blog to my list so I do not miss out on any of the Zippy Action. Do take care. Looking forward to the next post.

44. Alison B., "Runbuggy" says:

I think you're definitely Zippy with a PR like that!! Congrats!

45. AM-GoalsfortheWeek! says:

Holy Comments! wow! yeah, fun pr! and that always happens to me..go out too fast then it kills me in the end. when will i learn?
    great job!;-)

46. The Laminator says:

Great race! It was fun to run in your city! I always enjoy visiting. This one was definitely worth the trip – even without the cherry blossoms!

47. Wow! So much while I was away!! First congrats AWESOME new PR!! Cherry Blossom is a really pretty course! Second, I love the new look of your blog! Third, go get 'em at Broad ST!!!