Race recap

So tired, so tired after my 1/2 marathon today! We had a great day for it–the race started at 7:30 with temps in the 40s and beautiful sunshine. It was nice enough that I felt confident I’d be comfortable in shorts, and I was.

Three weeks ago I ran a 1/2 in 1:38: 12, so today I was hoping to break 1:38. I went to the race with three friends and we met another there. I love going to races with friends. We have a great time together, and running a race with a friend is as good as it gets. My friend Becky and I are a good match and we set off together, immediately hitting a 7:30 pace and then staying very consistent with it throughout the race. I have to say my legs hurt with this pace right off the bat, but by about mile 4, it felt good.

The course follows a rail-trail path all the way out to mile 7, where you hit a hill and turn around for the return back in on the trail. We continued very steady on our pace until about mile 9, when we started dropping our numbers down to the low 7:20s. It was hard, but still felt doable. Mile 11 hurt like crazy and then at mile 12, well, lets just say Becky surged and I hit a hard wall! My legs were killing me at this point and really had nothing left in them. Up until that point I was tracking for a high 1:37, but I really died in that last mile and ended up finishing 1:38:20. Becky put 30 seconds on me in that mile–she rocked! We finished 1 and 2 in our age group, another of our friends finished second in her age group, and one was the top masters. Not too shabby.

Race recap

After a race I always like to look back at what worked and what didn’t. I’m not quite sure what the answer was this time. I think that maybe two 1/2s in a three-week span is more than my body is up to? Or perhaps taking this race out at 7:30 on the first mile was too fast for me; the last 1/2 I took it out at 7:45. Who knows? I gave it what I had today and that’s all that matters.

Did anyone else race this weekend? How was it? I love to hear race reports!

Comments

1. Great job!! If you ran the B&A trail half marathon, that has some hills, so that could have affected you! and yes, it's not like you ran a 5k a few weeks ago, you ran a tough, fast, LONG race, so maybe you aren't fully recovered! I think you did great, and it's only going to get better, you'll crush your 10 miler!! Way to go!!

2. Barefoot AngieB says:

You are amazing! That is super fast and you gals rocked your age groups :) Yay for you!

3. Oh my God, are you flipping fast!!! Awesome job on your half marathon! I am in complete awe of your speed:) I think you are wrong about the speed thing my dear….you could of totally been in track!!! Great race report and congrats to your half marathon success!

4. Great job and super fast!!!! No races, but I ran 9.5 miles today… longest in 15 years.

5. southofthecliff says:

It's going to be like that, is it? I've only got 90 seconds on you for the half… dang it, I don't feel like doing any speedwork.

6. Great job! Well done for placing in the top two that's awesome :)

7. misszippy says:

Josh–I think after your 20-mile jump in mileage last week, you better not do speedwork anyhow!

8. southofthecliff says:

Oh, I didn't mean now. I meant ever.

9. That time is pretty "zippy"! Good job!

10. That is impressive! Great Job

11. parsonsiv1 says:

awesome!

12. That's a great time! Well done! Friends make running even better than it already is.

13. Great race! Your smoking fast!!! I love to read race reports!

14. Meaghan says:

Nice work out there this weekend! I also do the whole post race "how can I be better next time" mantra. But also take time to pat yourself on the back for a great race!

15. Barefoot Brandon says:

Congratulations on the awesome finish! I'm jealous and need to get over a pesky foot injury so I can get back out there to prepare for some upcoming races these next few weeks/months! Keep up the great work though!

16. Great job on the race, even if the finish was tough. Sounds like a little too much racing in such a short time, but races are fun. Cheers!

17. In your profile you indicate that you aren't zippy…I beg to differ…you are crazy fast! Great job on the 1/2! To give you perspective, I ran a 1/2 about 3 weeks ago and my time was 2:07 and I was happy because I was expecting about 10 minutes slower! Kudos to you!!

18. You still did great besides all of that! Congrats on placing in your age group! :0) I agree…you are REALLY fast!!

19. Either way – you rocked it and placed in your age group. Sounds good to me!

20. I think you ran a great race and are being too hard on yourself. You say you "fell apart" in the last mile but missed your target time by around 30 seconds. Every race is different and every course is different. Your last line says it all – you gave it what you had and that is what matters. Smile.

21. misszippy says:

Thank you everyone. Mick–it was all good and it was really awesome to run side-by-side w/ Becky for such a long time. I am so lucky to have these great running partners!

22. Good to hear. You ran a great race. I agree about your running partners!

23. Nice job, girl! I WISH I could run a 1:38. Take some time to peel back the layers and figure out, if anything, that didn't get your goal. But congrats to you, you are rocking them out there and staying tough!!

24. Anne Marie says:

You ARE Zippy! Dang! nice, nice job! I have a 10k 'report' from yesterday…overall okay race, did have a pr, but didn't hit the target times I was supposed to…aw well…;-)

Nice job again!!

25. misszippy says:

Anne Marie–A PR! Fantastic, even if you didn't run it as planned. Good job.

26. Evolv Rose says:

great job!!

27. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

I know you didn't make your 1:38 goal, but you totally rocked! You are super fast! Congrats on placing in your age group..that's so awesome! :)

28. Tina @GottaRunNow says:

Great race report! Congrats on a fast finish!

29. What!! 1:38 is AUH-MAZING! I can't even touch that! Way to go girl!
    I'm hoping for a sub 2hr next month…i look forward to the day I can run a pace like yours!

Trackbacks

1. [...] has a half marathon that draws far more people and starts at the same time. I’ve done this half countless times and always enjoy it. But I’ve also watched those lonely marathoners have to [...]