Somehow, a PR!

Amandaspics+009 Somehow, a PR!

I had my 1/2 marathon this morning and it turned out better than I would have expected! The course was fairly flat with the execption of a couple of hills, so that made it fast. It still hurt, though, as giving your all always does.

One of the things I love about racing is that even after 12 years, I’m still learning. Today was no exception. My body likes to negative split, so I always aim to start conservatively and pick up speed as I go. I think I have gone overboard with that approach in the past, however, so today I decided to try pushing a bit earlier than I normally would have. I have to say I hurt from the get-go with that approach, but it paid off. I found my desired pace (7:30) by mile 3 and stuck pretty close to it. My fastest mile was a 7:11, somewhere around 5 or 6, and my slowest a 7:54, somewhere around 8 or 9–that point in the 1/2 where you really hurt and still have so much to go! Anyhow, I learned that I can push harder, earlier, and achieve my goal time. I finished in 1:38.

Something else I learned today–my eyes are getting old! I use a plain old Timex Ironman watch and like to hit my splits every mile. The overall time shows up big and the splits show up in a smaller size. I seriously had a hard time reading those smaller splits as I went through the race. Yikes! I think there is a way to switch the numbers around so that you can get the splits as the bigger display, and clearly, I need to figure that out! Ahhh, the aging process.

After the race I did a great canyon hike to a waterfall with my husband and kids. It was great recovery for my tired legs.

Amandaspics+010 Somehow, a PR!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

pin it button Somehow, a PR!

Comments

1. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) says:

Congratulations on your PR! You rocked!
    The waterfall looks beautiful. I wish Spring would get here soon so I can enjoy beautiful hikes too! :)

2. Barefoot AngieB says:

Wow girl you are fast!! Congratulations!

3. Anne Marie says:

So cool! congrats on your PR. It's funny b/c after reading your prior post, i had a funny feeling you'd pr;-) yeah!

4. That is a terrific, fast time, congratulations!! What aging process? ;)

5. FANTASTIC!! Congratulations!!

(I also had a hard time reading my watch and on my garmin you can have the display option so the numbers are HUGE!)

6. Congrats on the PR. Yes, my Timex has the same features, and I like to have the splits larger than the overall time. Cheers!

7. Bob (Downtown Runner) says:

Congratulations on the PR. I'm training for my first 1/2 in a LONG time. 1:38 would be a dream for me.

I'm 51 and have 20/20 vision from about 4 feet out to infinity. Within that 4 feet, where my Garmin running watch is, is another story. The other day I was surprised (and pleased) to see that I had gone over 6 miles, until I realized later that was only my speed, not distance….

8. Sounds like a great race! Wow you are so fast. I almost never negative split. And as far as eyesight goes – mine has been terrible for so long, I don't remember what it feels like to see clearly.

Lindsey @ eatreadrun.com

9. Wow! Congrats to you!

10. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

Great time! Congrats!

11. runninaround says:

you are a speed demon! found your blog through TMB. I'll be at the Cherry Blossom with her! Hope to meet up! And I love that you run with the Striders. I wanted to join but being from the Lutherville area its just too far. But yay for Maryland girls =)